Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Question about JDSU HST-3000 VDSL-IN/WB2 (Infineon)  (Read 5476 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Question about JDSU HST-3000 VDSL-IN/WB2 (Infineon)
« on: December 18, 2014, 03:08:18 PM »

Hi,
I imagine only a few people will be able to provide an answer to this question since this equipment is expensive and therefore not easy to get.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether this can support vectoring? I'm considering buying a fully working used one as I've had an offer come my way, but if this SIM doesn't have any vectoring capabilities then it will obsolete when BT rolls out vectoring I imagine - so I can't imagine it then be worth me taking up the offer in order to keep it for diagnostics (when a possible fault occurs).

Thanks in advance.

boost

• Reg Member
Re: Question about JDSU HST-3000 VDSL-IN/WB2 (Infineon)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:48:48 PM »

I've no idea on your actual question but just wondering how you would perform the loop testing? I considered getting one but perhaps foolishly thought it would be useless without access to the PCPs/Exchanges to verify along the path?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 03:54:44 PM »

Well, more getting it for the modem's capabilities (for example, the ECI doesn't report correct statistics where the Infineon in the JDSU I imagine does - so am curious to see how it actually does in comparison to the HG612; the ASUS DSL-AC68U is useless unless interleaved so I'm strongly considering selling it after ASUS's recent useless reply to my email when I discovered what is likely to be the actual problem along with some proof; but also the JDSU can act as a mini-DSLAM so I've read, so I could theoretically also use it to try and further test the ASUS DSL-AC68U). I'm also wondering if it's possible to telnet into the JDSU, might be some interesting bits and pieces to play around with in there.

I assumed some of the copper testing functionality wouldn't require PCP/exchange access? Oh well, that's also another question for those in posession of this to answer :).

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »

Hi,
I imagine only a few people will be able to provide an answer to this question since this equipment is expensive and therefore not easy to get.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether this can support vectoring? I'm considering buying a fully working used one as I've had an offer come my way, but if this SIM doesn't have any vectoring capabilities then it will obsolete when BT rolls out vectoring I imagine - so I can't imagine it then be worth me taking up the offer in order to keep it for diagnostics (when a possible fault occurs).

Thanks in advance.

Hmm ?? I'm afraid I can't give a conclusive answer, and would never suggest splashing out on one just on my say-so. However, I've looked at the official info I have at my disposal and it does state that HHT's (Hand Held Terminals - JDSU/EXFO) would need to have the 'Vector-enabled SIM' when working on 'Vectored circuits'.

The only swerve ball I can throw in, and just to add to your despair, is that I'm sure I've read somewhere that the very latest trials mentioned normal JDSU SIM's could be used ?? I haven't got the time to trawl through the millions of docs surrounding this technology just yet, but if I do later I'll try and source it ??

Sorry it doesn't help much, and I suppose time is against you in having to make a decision ?.  :o

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:22:14 PM »

I assumed some of the copper testing functionality wouldn't require PCP/exchange access? Oh well, that's also another question for those in posession of this to answer :)

It's quite an expensive piece of kit, and the only Copper/Ali testing you could do would be on a 'Dead Circuit'. If the nominal voltage is present (ie: dial tone), there's very little you can do by way of tests. We can only perform in-depth testing by utilising our 'Remote test systems', which when accessed will run a scripted bunch of test parameters that require the circuit to be ............. voltage free, open circuit, closed circuit, connected to Earth. It is the remote test-heads in the Exchange that apply the various conditions mentioned.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »

How is the pair quality test run? :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:36:19 PM »

As mentioned above ..... it's a scripted test.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »

I assumed some of the copper testing functionality wouldn't require PCP/exchange access? Oh well, that's also another question for those in posession of this to answer :)

It's quite an expensive piece of kit, and the only Copper/Ali testing you could do would be on a 'Dead Circuit'. If the nominal voltage is present (ie: dial tone), there's very little you can do by way of tests. We can only perform in-depth testing by utilising our 'Remote test systems', which when accessed will run a scripted bunch of test parameters that require the circuit to be ............. voltage free, open circuit, closed circuit, connected to Earth. It is the remote test-heads in the Exchange that apply the various conditions mentioned.

Ah, I see. Fair enough, thanks. Well if you do find that info you believe you saw about the standard SIM's working during the trial then let me know, much appreciated :). Copper testing functionality isn't so important really, my primary interest is in the modem but given Infineon may not support vectoring then I will likely not go ahead with it. The Broadcom SIM (which is definitely vectoring capable) is simply way overpriced for me to even to consider buying for curiousity or to play with.

I had planned to also get it to use with my ASUS DSL-AC68U, for further testing and experimentation to try and get to the bottom of that device's instability, as the Infineon SIM is supposed to be able to act as a VTU-C so I've read in the documentation.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 06:33:32 PM »

Well ..... a further delve tells us that the later version of vectoring engine (ASIC) has a policy called, 'Force friendly downstream, u/s limit'
This will allow old-style (legacy) and vector-capable modems, as well as engineers test equipment, to synch with a vectored DSLAM.

How this 'Force Friendly' is implemented is anybody's guess ?? It may have to be driven by the engineer on-site and the BB Helpdesk, and only performed if a valid task is being worked upon ??
I'd personally wait a few months before buying, to see what more info becomes available as the vectoring roll-out happens ?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 06:46:10 PM »

Well ..... a further delve tells us that the later version of vectoring engine (ASIC) has a policy called, 'Force friendly downstream, u/s limit'
This will allow old-style (legacy) and vector-capable modems, as well as engineers test equipment, to synch with a vectored DSLAM.

How this 'Force Friendly' is implemented is anybody's guess ?? It may have to be driven by the engineer on-site and the BB Helpdesk, and only performed if a valid task is being worked upon ??
I'd personally wait a few months before buying, to see what more info becomes available as the vectoring roll-out happens ?

I see. Thanks, yeah I agree, I'll hold until vectoring rollout happens (hopefully in 2015). As I understand it, the 'force friendly downstream, upstream limit' will likely be a fallback where a non-vectoring capable device can still sync, but at a reduced rate in order to minimise unaccountable crosstalk for the connected lines that are currently vectoring capable. I presume this will be available as standard for those incompatible devices which may exist.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 06:51:16 PM »

Ah right. You know more than I about the 'Vectoring Beast' and associated issues. Thanks for the information.  :)