Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk HG635 Latency Issue - Bridge Mode  (Read 3410 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
TalkTalk HG635 Latency Issue - Bridge Mode
« on: December 15, 2014, 05:39:51 AM »

So while examining my Thinkbroadband ping graphs I decided to swap out my HG612 modem and swap in my HG635(running the latest firmware). This was the graph produced by the HG635 in bridge mode(no activity on my connection) -

And this was the graph produced by the HG612, significant difference -

I wasn't expecting to see this in bridge mode where I just expected the HG635 to be capable of the less complicated task of shovelling packets in and out of LAN1.   :o

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk HG635 Latency Issue - Bridge Mode
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »

I can confirm that the HG635 does that with any of the firmwares and whether in modem/router or router only mode.  This issue is however probably not as significant as the yellow suggests.  The blue mean latency is almost the same, it may only be the router giving low priority to icmp responses. The ping measured is also not exactly the same as the outgoing ping times that bother some people.  Try a ping monitor that pings an outside IP rather than an outside monitor that pings you.

phi2008

• Reg Member
Re: TalkTalk HG635 Latency Issue - Bridge Mode
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:20:39 AM »

I wondered about some kind of prioritisation but it shouldn't be interfering with packets in bridge mode, that's the router's job. I already did what you suggested and tried running ping tests from the inside to the net, with mtr and a PC utility I found, the results didn't look obviously bad but I probably need to find something that produces reasonable graphs if I want to explore further. Anyway I'm back to the HG612 now so I can monitor my connection somewhat better.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:27:11 AM by phi2008 »