Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL 2 Annex M Upload speeds between routers...  (Read 3431 times)

jon_

ADSL 2 Annex M Upload speeds between routers...
« on: December 08, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »

Hi,

I'm on xilo, connected via TT LLU, with an Annex-M connection. Currently I'm using a Draytek 2820, which seems to be getting a bit flaky - although the connection is reasonably stable, I'll get some drops during the day, and occasionally the PPP session will hang - the connection will stay live, but the PPP connection will need to be dropped/re-established to kick it into life again (usually you can tell this has happened as the Primary/Secondary DNS servers vanish from the Physical Connection status page on the router, even though they are hardcoded to google DNS) - but I think this is a firmware bug.

The Draytek syncs at 13M down, 2M up or thereabouts pretty much every time on a 6dB profile.

I bought a Billion 8800NL based on some good feedback from here to replace it - with some SNR tweaks I can get it to sync stably higher downstream (14M) but whatever I do it will only sync at 1.5M upstream.

Doing some back to back speed tests show that the draytek uploads correspondingly faster than the billion, so it's not just stats.

Is there anything I can do to get the 'missing' upload speed back, or is it just a chipset difference between the two and there's nothing that can be done?

Thanks

Jon

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: ADSL 2 Annex M Upload speeds between routers...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:12:05 PM »

I don't think you can do anything re upstream.   With annex m is does vary quite a bit between modems.

jon_

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »

As an addition to this - I bought a Draytek v120. This will sync even higher upstream (204000 vs high 19's for the 2820), but the downstream is a meg lower - it only syncs at 12.2M...

Some of the speedtests I've been doing:

Billion 8800NL - 14M down, 1.5M up. Speedtest = 12Md, 1.3Mup

Draytek 2820 'Annex-A' modem code - 13.3 down, 1.96 up. Speedtest = 11.17d, 1.63up
Draytek 2820 'Annex-M' modem code - 13.4 down, 1.99 up. Speedtest = 11.3d, 1.66up
Draytek 2820 '252901'  modem code -  13.4 down 1.99 up. Speedtest =  11.36d, 1.66up

Draytek 120 - 12.2 down, 2.00 up. Speedtest = 10.49 down, 1.7 up.

So the 2820 with the latest modem code is every so slightly faster, and doesn't seem to suffer from the PPP hang that the Annex-M code does... I still get high CRC rates on the line though, but the connection seems stable...

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 05:48:46 PM »

In case it is interest here is an old review of some dated modem/routers

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4144-how-fast-is-your-broadband-router.html

I found the DG834gv4 about as good as anything and equal to the HG612 (which only with the latest firmwares works on annex m) 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:57:10 AM »

If it's any help.  I used to be able to get a full 24mb down and 2.6Mb up using ST585 v6 and v7.  Tg582n. 

A few of the netgear DG834's varients would give me the upstream but not quite as much downstream.  There was one netgear that didn't do too good though.   Sorry can't recall all the different versions I had on this line over the years, I'll try remember later when I'm back home.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:04:30 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jon_

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »

Thanks. I should probably start trawling ebay - all this router purchasing is getting expensive!!

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 01:00:51 PM »

Thanks. I should probably start trawling ebay - all this router purchasing is getting expensive!!
Look on Freecycle . ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 09:02:49 AM »

It may be hard to get your hands on some of the older routers..   but there still seems to be plenty of TG582n available which you may be able to pick up quite cheaply.

I know a lot of people dont like the TG582n because its wifi isnt particularly good compared to some of the more expensive routers, but as far as the DSL chipset goes, IMHO it aint half bad.    I used to have quite a lot of routers back in my early days of adsl2+, but nothing could ever beat my old ST585v6 on annex_m.   It had rubbish wifi and pretty fugly though.    The TG582n wasnt that far behind  and at least the wifi was a bit better.   It was my router of choice when on annex_m because of its dsl stability.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker