Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router ac dc adapter too short  (Read 3574 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Router ac dc adapter too short
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:42:24 PM »

I guess someone will tell me to use an extension lead from the socket that will be already at the end of another lead, but that would be cumbersome. Instead could I use a male to female jack cable to achieve the same? Does anyone know the size  or spec of the female plug that goes in to the Billion 8800NL?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Router ac dc adapter too short
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 06:57:03 PM »

Probably easier to cut the cable and insert an extra length yourself, presumably it's just 2-core for DC?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 07:55:35 PM »

You clearly unaware of my dexterity rating! ;D And what would I use to join the leads?

The router is under warranty still, so would what is suggested be advisable anyway? :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 09:34:47 PM »

You will need to check with the supplier that the chosen lead would be compatible with your intended use . . . List one and List two.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 10:20:01 PM »

Bear in mind that the current through the low voltage cable will be proportionately higher than the mains lead.  Assuming the router takes 12V, the current will be 20 times that of the 240V mains supply.

The problem then is that voltage drop along the cable, being proportional to current, will also be 20 times as  much, and  may become significant enough to cause a problem.   Note my emphasis on 'may', I'd not like to speculate on how long the extension would actually have to be to cause any symptoms... it all depends on a actual current draw, cable thickness, and voltage operating range.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 10:23:27 PM »

Yes, that's one reason why I suggested cutting and splicing; I'd use a thick low-resistance cable to minimise such effects.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 10:26:29 PM »

Use a block connector and remember the wire with the white strip should be the positive but make sure by checking the inner and outer connectors with a multimeter to make sure the polarity is correct.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 10:45:35 PM »

Yes, that's one reason why I suggested cutting and splicing; I'd use a thick low-resistance cable to minimise such effects.

It's certainly an issue for iPhones & iPads.

The Apple supplied charging cables are quite short, which can be a nuisance.   There is no shortage of internet traders offering longer cables that are 'guaranteed to work'  but they nearly always don't work, the voltage drop being excessive.

It's not a problem with cheap far eastern designed smart-phones which take all night to charge, but iPhones generally charge quite quickly, which is fantastic - but fast charging means more current which does restrict cable length.   Hence why the Apple cables are short, I suspect.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 10:50:38 AM »

FWIW I got my well sighted teen-age grandson to read the details on the adapter.

Input: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz
Output: 12V  - 2A

Any way you've all given me food for thought and for digging.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »

The 8800nl uses a lot less than 1 amp and the connector is the same as on an HG612 and a number of other devices.  My HG612 is running on an HG612 power supply quite happily. If you have other 12v PSU's one may have a longer lead and be OK.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 12:04:02 PM »

Indeed, they're all much of a muchness; just need to (double-)check the polarity and plug size.
I've got piles of the things from failed devices and they're all pretty much interchangeable.