Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Removing Video Sound Tracks  (Read 10118 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Removing Video Sound Tracks
« on: November 28, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »

Removing Video Sound Tracks

For her dissertation my daughter is making video's of Meerkats   :) in a public area at a zoo, she has not got to record any sound (eg the public talking)  :'(.

With the sound turned off on the video camera, there is still  sound on the video's  :no:

The video is a .MTS format.

Is there any way to strip the sound from these video's .
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:03:49 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Video Sound
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »

put it in a video editing application and delete the audio channel. It's good practice, however, to always have SOME sound on a video, even if its so quiet its completely unintelligible.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 11:56:49 PM »

I would recommend using ffmpeg -an -f input_file_name output_file_name
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 01:21:47 AM »

For possible future reference, with my old camcorder I use to insert a spare unconnected jack plug into the recording socket so as to totally cut out any background sounds, this I found better for then inserting my own music afterwards.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 06:52:25 PM »

May need a bit more help on this please.
My file location
/home/tickmike/Videos/00001.MTS
What is the output file ?
Will this remove the sound ?.

put it in a video editing application and delete the audio channel. It's good practice, however, to always have SOME sound on a video, even if its so quiet its completely unintelligible.

Yes I tried that and it worked but a 17 minute video took 2 hours to do,  :'(  she is going to have hours and hours of video's.

For possible future reference, with my old camcorder I use to insert a spare unconnected jack plug into the recording socket so as to totally cut out any background sounds, this I found better for then inserting my own music afterwards.

That may work if there is a sound socket on it, she coming back home tomorrow to do another days worth of video's on Monday, I will look..
The video camera belongs to the uni so she reported that even when muted it still records sound.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 08:05:35 PM »

May need a bit more help on this please.
My file location
/home/tickmike/Videos/00001.MTS
What is the output file ?
Will this remove the sound ?.

Let's work with your example. The current directory is /home/tickmike/Videos/ and you create a sub-directory from within it named processed/. You have a file named 00001.MTS within the /Videos/ directory. I shall assume that you have a whole sequence of videos to process, so you change directory to /home/tickmike/Videos/ and issue the following "one-liner" --

for V in *.MTS; do ffmpeg -an -i $V ./processed/$V; done

The -an flag disables audio recording . . . in other words the sound track is not copied to the new file.
The argument following the -i flag is the input file and the final file name referenced on the command line is the output file. In this case the output and input files have the same name, so one of them will have to reside in a different directory.

References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg
http://linux.die.net/man/1/ffmpeg
https://www.ffmpeg.org/
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html

(Please note that for some obscure reason I referenced the -f flag in my original post, above. That is wrong. The input flag is -i.)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 08:43:15 PM »

Let's work with your example. The current directory is /home/tickmike/Videos/ and you create a sub-directory from within it named processed/. You have a file named 00001.MTS within the /Videos/ directory. I shall assume that you have a whole sequence of videos to process, so you change directory to /home/tickmike/Videos/ and issue the following "one-liner" --

for V in *.MTS; do ffmpeg -an -i $V ./processed/$V; done

The -an flag disables audio recording . . . in other words the sound track is not copied to the new file.
The argument following the -i flag is the input file and the final file name referenced on the command line is the output file. In this case the output and input files have the same name, so one of them will have to reside in a different directory.

I followed the above and it took about 12 minutes to do BUT it's still got sound on :o :'(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 09:06:29 PM »

Eh?  :o  Are you absolutely sure you checked the file in the /processed/ directory and not the original file?  :-\

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 09:23:27 PM »

Eh?  :o  Are you absolutely sure you checked the file in the /processed/ directory and not the original file?  :-\
Yes.
Seeing in the 'Man'pages it said -vn to disable the sound as well but that has not worked. :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 09:30:06 PM »

Sorry but I have no idea why that has happened.  :(

Sudden thought. I wonder . . .

Please try again --

for V in *.MTS; do ffmpeg -i $V -an ./processed/$V; done

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 10:14:28 PM »

Please try again --

for V in *.MTS; do ffmpeg -i $V -an ./processed/$V; done

Thank you that worked  :thumbs:

It's quite fast but uses a lot of CPU power.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 10:42:32 PM »

Thank you that worked  :thumbs:

It's quite fast but uses a lot of CPU power.

That's a relief. I forgot that the command line flags are position dependent.  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 10:33:52 AM »

@ B-Cat.
How would I have the scrip for processing a lot  of video's say  00000.MTS to 00051.MTS
Has it got to be a continuous row because I have noticed 00019.MTS is missing  :'(

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 02:34:43 PM »

@ B-Cat.
How would I have the scrip for processing a lot  of video's say  00000.MTS to 00051.MTS
Has it got to be a continuous row because I have noticed 00019.MTS is missing  :'(

the script B-Cat gave you before will process all files with a .MTS extension, regardless of filename.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 05:23:21 PM »

@ B-Cat.

the script B-Cat gave you before will process all files with a .MTS extension, regardless of filename.

:thumbs:

Pages: [1] 2