Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Are BT throttling connections?  (Read 36839 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Are BT throttling connections?
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »

But I'm beginning to think they are, assuming PlusNet are using a significant amount of resource shared with BT.
OK, I'll duck out now, for 2 reasons:
1. Some further testing has narrowed down my problem a bit and I've decided it's almost certainly NOT relevant to the BT issue that is "supposedly"   ::) being discussed here.
2. Given the way this thread has been taken over I've turned on the local implementation of my "ignore" facility.  :-X

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »

I know this next comment is off-topic but.... I am getting mighty fed up with a certain person and their conspiracy theories and allegations that anyone who disagrees must be a troll/shill/working for BT under the covers etc etc. This forum has generally been a pleasure to be involved with and has always been courteous and friendly and it is a great shame that this certain person continues in this thread and another to carry on with their rants. How Kitz manages to keep her cool and not ban this person is beyond my understanding, if I were in her position I would have banned them long ago. I feel that this person is one of those who would be quiet as a church mouse if met in person but hiding behind a non-de-plume in a forum feels they can be as aggressive and rude as they like.

This is my last word on any topic frequented by you-know-who unless they apologise and learn some manners.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »

Nope, it's you - not poring over your own server logs properly (which in itself is more than a bit obsessive*).  If you knew how to interpret those logs properly you'd soon recognise that I quite often visit this forum from other connections, and have done for months.  Tonight I was in the local Wetherspoons which provides free wi-fi through "The Cloud".   So there's another IP address you missed in those logs, in your zeal to portray me as a liar - someone who you said wasn't a BT customer.  Is it standard operating procedure to baselessly abuse contributors, calling them all dishonest?  Or are those insults reserved only for those that undermine what seems like your raison d'etre for running this forum, and perhaps more importantly your professional connections outside of it?   Don't bother answering.  I've already drawn a conclusion to that.

*  just thinking aloud here, but what else do you do with your subscriber database?  It's just that you're obviously harvesting data that links every forum contributor to his IP address, email address, his online timestamps, and so on.   With the assistance of associates at ISPs who have access to RADIUS logs, that data could, for example, be correlated to a specific subscriber line, and therefore the exact identity and supply address for every one here.   Now thinking conspiratorially here, that data, with your help, would also allow an ISP to identify a complainant, even if they posted anonymously here. That would be very useful inside information to an ISP, wouldn't it?

You are wrong - Very wrong.   Your post is just plain ridiculous.

I do not look at server logs ever. The information about IPs is automatically provided by any forum software that you use anywhere on the internet.  SMF, phpbb, vbulletin whatever.    Its right there in front of ANY forum moderators face on ANY forum you visit on the internet.  Get over it.  If you are that paranoid you best stay away from the Internet. Your IP is right there under any post you make on any forum anywhere.

Heres a screen shot what it looks like and just in case you dont believe me then go check out the forum software manual.  I repeat that this is the same for whatever forum you use on the internet.

So no its not OCD, Im not checking logs and Im not harvesting data nor doing any of those things that you accused me of. Clicking on the link of your IP directly tells me which ISP you are with. The forum software told me that you had only ever posted from PN, TT and Three.

You know what the IP is there for?   Its there to prevent spammers and trolls.   Its also the way people who make a profession of online harassment get tracked down, you know the sort,  those that repeatedly get banned from forums and end up being arrested and having all their computer equipment removed.

I had a reason to be suspicious of your activity, other members had also noticed your odd behaviour and PM'd me about it.  You have to admit it looks pretty strange someone coming here guns blazing at BT and when I happened to notice that you'd never posted from a BT IP I simply said I was confused and I asked a valid question.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »

More warped thinking and lies. 

Let's get back to the thread topic, huh?    Are BT throttling connections? 

Well not officially, no, and nor were they ever. That's official, so it must be true!

But for the last two or more weeks, BT Infinity subscribers - including me - have had a pathetic experience.  But not, of course, for the important opinion-formers on this and other forums, who are renowned for defending the indefensible when it comes to BT!    Kitz herself even weighed in, to downplay this one. It was just a brief hiccup with BT's DNS.  Remember?  But switching to Google's DNS or OpenDNS, as suggested, didn't solve it either.   So that theory flopped.

Kitz then ran with that alternative conspiracy theory that it was caused by BT apparently intercepting udp/53 traffic.  Redirecting all DNS queries to their own nameservers, and re-writing or forging those DNS response datagrams as if they were coming from OpenDNS or Google DNS, or whoever.    Except that wasn't true either - or at least BT probably *is* covertly intercepting our DNS traffic for marketing/tracking purposes - because that's the sort of weird and sinister thing it does; for a similar example from earlier, see BT & the Phorm scandal.    But, importantly, that wasn't the cause of *this* outage.

Then Kitz kept plugging that barefruit.com theory.  Which wasn't actually the same thing at all. Returning a web page full of adverts in an HTTP response when a DNS lookup for a website fails -- that's the barefruit.com "service" - is not the same thing as re-directing all udp/53 traffic and forging DNS response datagrams.   Big difference.

*sigh*

So then we moved on to the much more likely possibility that BT has or has had a fairly drastic failure with its core routing. A major failure that was affecting lots of BT punters, across the UK from Portsmouth to Glasgow and beyond.   That piece of detective work - which importantly discredited the DNS theory - came courtesy of one insightful poster to BT's own forum (of all places!)    He spotted that *some* page pre-requisites - even those pre-requisites hosted on the same server - were taking ages to load. Only *some* of them.  That, in a nutshell, ruled out the DNS theory; because of the use of local DNS caching - the IP address of a web server is only looked up once during a session.

Even at this stage, though, BT was still denying the problem. It was Officially Solved.  Kitz meanwhile was still going with barefruit.com being to blame, and unhelpfully claiming that TalkTalk and Sky did it too (not true) so we shouldn't according to her, be pointing any finger of blame at beloved BT. Because other ISPs intercept DNS traffic, too, apparently.     In fact, TalkTalk (can't comment about Sky) do not redirect and re-write udp/53 traffic to and from external nameservers. And never have done; they do redirect HTTP on DNS look-up failure of a website made to their own nameserver. But even that "service" is helpfully an opt-out.

Either way, that major BT outage was first publicly documented on or around Dec 2nd, so far as I can see; although some contributors said later that they had problems even earlier. That huge thread of complaints on the BT forum kind of dried up after page 53 (around 18 December) so that bounds the problem with some dates.   Pretty bad.   Is it reasonable to grumble about that?   Well, judging by the 53 pages of complaints - and the repeated Official Denials of there being any problem whatsoever - and the length of time it took to actually resolve the "non-existent" problem - well, yes it would see it was entirely reasonable to complain!

And just to wind this goddamn thing up - in so far as I'm not at all interested in it since the outage does at last seem fixed  - BT is still sending HTTP responses from its own webservers when there is DNS lookup failure for some other website.  Dreadful..

You have completely twisted my post here to suit your agenda and make up some weird conspiracy theory about me.  I strongly believe that what BT is doing is wrong and have voiced that.

You appear to have conveniently forgotten that it was you who first started off the DNS Hijacking theory here.  I stand by my assertion that I have always been against this sort of thing and also Phorm.  I was one of those who strongly objected to it and my stance on DNS hijacking is exactly the same. 

Re barefruit I never said it was the same thing. I said that Talktalk and Virgin use Barefruit which they do. I never said Sky used it. Stop twisting things to suit your agenda.

I also conceded that DNS wouldnt cause such issues.  I also agreed with the posts made by sjones on the BT forums. I said at last someone talking sense and not spouting out rubbish about tracerts and ICMP.   I even went out of my way to check DNS caching to make sure - see my post here and I said it didnt make sense.

I will stand by my assertion that its not core routing, because if it was core routing then all ISPs would be affected.
BT retail do intercept DNS on port 53, its been proven many times over and I still stand by my claim that the most likely reason is that something went wrong in how they were intercepting the traffic with say a bad rule in the ellacoyas. I am strongly against DNS interception and believe that users should be able to have a choice in which DNS server they want to use.
BT had been intercepting DNS on port 53 so that users see the barefruit advertising. 

So you can stop your ridiculous theories and attempts to discredit me right now.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2014, 02:01:21 PM »

I know this next comment is off-topic but.... I am getting mighty fed up with a certain person and their conspiracy theories and allegations that anyone who disagrees must be a troll/shill/working for BT under the covers etc etc. This forum has generally been a pleasure to be involved with and has always been courteous and friendly and it is a great shame that this certain person continues in this thread and another to carry on with their rants. How Kitz manages to keep her cool and not ban this person is beyond my understanding, if I were in her position I would have banned them long ago. I feel that this person is one of those who would be quiet as a church mouse if met in person but hiding behind a non-de-plume in a forum feels they can be as aggressive and rude as they like.

This is my last word on any topic frequented by you-know-who unless they apologise and learn some manners.

Stuart

I cant win either way.

~  If I say nothing, then he will assume he's caught me out and Im too embarrased to post further, so what he says must be true.

~  If I ban him, then he will claim its because he found me out and I tried to cover up his posts.   I shall leave all posts here so that people can read and draw their own conclusions.

I now know who said person is. Plenty of others have also already guessed based purely on his posting style. 
I had hoped that said person could be productive once again in the adsl community and it would detract attention away from all the conspiracy theory stuff that he is involved in.   

I will say this. If he ever makes threats to me or what could happen to my daughter ever again or any further false allegations, then I shall be contacting the authorities.  I kept it quiet from the public last time, because I felt sorry for him because he was very sick.

I will not keep it quiet again this time - I still have the phone no's of those 2 big guys from Special Investigations/MI5/whoevertheywere who came knocking at my door completely out of the blue scaring the crap out of me.  They were trying to track down someone who I'd never heard of before in my life, because of his online activities on conspiracy forum else where that was nothing to do with me.

I only found out later that he has a long record for harassment of innocent people and making up lies about them.   If the threats and lies continue in any shape or form about me or any other forum member, then I will publicly show the document that I have that proves how sick he is and I will contact the police.   Im not standing by whilst he turns this forum into a conspiracy theory. 
-----
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]