Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Explanation of decibels in the context of ADSL  (Read 123744 times)

• Reg Member
Re: Explanation of decibels in the context of ADSL
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 12:02:14 PM »

When the connection is syncing slower, the output power is also lower, as less tones are used.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 12:22:05 PM »

When the connection is syncing slower, the output power is also lower, as less tones are used.

Thank you for that clarification..   if you mean what I think you mean... then I tried to cover that in "Under performing lines that are capable of much higher speeds or not reaching their full potential will also show reduced power."

If it meant something else it (less tones used) then that got me thinking on the question " if its tones in use or all available tones across the spectrum"..  so therefore if less tones = less power and knowing that the output should in theory be the same between syncs (ignoring the reserve for bitswap), then it would imply power is calculated across all tones regardless if in use or not.   

A bit of digging in some router manufacturers documents, would seem to confirm at least some (all?) routers calculate across all the available tones in the spectrum.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2014, 04:33:47 PM »

But I've also notices when sometimes I disable many tones in my router I have higher power output (not lower). Moreover, I have PSD masks for HAM-band and high power output: 18.6-18.8 dBm.

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »

Are you sure? As i end up with a lower power output 16.8, to 16.0 when tones aren't in use

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2014, 01:15:08 AM »

Fantasic Explanation Kitz on the dBM power even I could understand it  ;)

So it looks like a fine balance to keep all customers happy with their BroadBand at the Exchange and in the FTTC cabinet.

I have learnt so much about Broadband the How's and Why's from the Kitz site than any other site in this 5 year journey to understand the BB workings.

Kitz and Members I give you my Five Star rating.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything