Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: XP problem ?  (Read 8486 times)

JGO

• Reg Member

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: XP problem ?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 04:00:38 PM »

IBM's Freeman says there are many different ways in which attackers may be able to exploit the bug. "Typically, attackers use remote code execution to install malware, which may have any number of malicious actions, such as keylogging, screen-grabbing and remote access," he writes.

However, he concedes that IBM "hasn’t found any evidence of exploitation of this particular bug," before adding that "it is a only matter of time before we see them in the wild".

Read more: Microsoft fixes 19-year-old Windows bug - but what about XP? | News | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/391636/microsoft-fixes-19-year-old-windows-bug-but-what-about-xp#ixzz3Ixssmk74

So there could in future possibly be an awful lot of machines that are exploitable.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:10:16 PM »

So there could in future possibly be an awful lot of machines that are exploitable.

Like in the NHS !

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:51:16 PM »

The NHS & gov has paid for extended support from M$ so (hopefully) they should be ok and get the patch rolled out to them. 

Its the millions of other who havent that will be at risk.    Last time something similar happened M$ rolled it out to all anyhow.   Whether they will or not this time remains to be seen.   

XP (Pro) IMHO was a very stable system and better than Vista.  In total I think I used XP for >10yrs and never once saw a blue screen and that is why people are loathe to upgrade.    The difficulty is how long do M$ continue to support an outdated OS for?   Apple doesnt seem to past a few years.  :(  I still have 2 valid Vista licences somewhere, that I never used for more than a few weeks, because I rolled back to XP.

Its the same reason why Im sticking with Win7 and although Win8 is ok, its not a patch on Win7 for desktop machines.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 07:46:22 PM »

The NHS & gov has paid for extended support from M$ so (hopefully) they should be ok and get the patch rolled out to them. 

?? I'm sure I saw a report that they hadn't - found it := http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterprise/391561/nhs-running-thousands-of-unpatched-windows-xp-pcs
Perhaps it hasn't been set up.

Yes I liked XP. 

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »

Just fired up my XP laptop that has been "ahem" tweaked to continue to receive updates.  :-X
It's got 20 downloaded and is working through them - that's the changes since late May when I last ran it.
Not sure how I'd identify which was related to this specific problem though, but given a few clues I'll have a look later when it's finished.
Edit: Seems to be KB3011443 to look for.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:07:42 PM by HPsauce »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:29:06 PM »

Seems to be KB3011443 to look for.
And it's not showing on my XP system.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 01:19:39 AM »

Without going too-far OT.

If windows XP is re-loaded as a fresh install will all the previous updates and service packs be automatically recommended/installed or would they need to be found, downloaded and installed separately?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 09:09:49 AM »

I don't know, but I suspect they will be found as the service is still running at Microsoft. It's just that no new updates are being added for normal consumers.

Though as noted above there has been at least one (after the closure date) for a vulnerability a while back that went across many versions of Windows.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »

Thanks HP, I will be giving it a try hopefully over the week-end so will let you know how it goes.

Only I know/think I have a driver problem but have never been able to pin-point which driver causes a couple of known problems, which is.
1. Skype wont work since the last update.
2. Typing in posts jumps around when either my Touchpad or Belkin Bluetooth software is left turned on.

But as said in my last post 'Without going too-far OT' I'll just leave this at that.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 04:49:34 PM »

Good question OF. 

I, like HP, would also suspect that any previous updates will still be available for a while yet. They are just not putting time and money into developing any future fixes for bugs found since they withdrew support.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »

?? I'm sure I saw a report that they hadn't - found it := http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterprise/391561/nhs-running-thousands-of-unpatched-windows-xp-pcs
Perhaps it hasn't been set up.

Yes I liked XP.

I'd seen something which said the gov had paid Microsoft several million $ to continue support for their XP machines (inc NHS).

However, googling shows that the Gov paid Microsoft £5.5 million in April this year to extend the cut off date, but that £5.5 million only bought them another year.  :(
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/07/uk-government-microsoft-windows-xp-public-sector

So come 8th April 2015, who knows what is going to happen in those sectors which havent upgraded.   :-X

Lets hope they get their act together before Apr 2015.  They should be covered for the latest patch, but anything found after next year will leave them wide open :(
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 05:00:50 PM »

OF: You might need to have the service packs available on CD and possibly updated versions of IE ready to install as well.

My local surgery is still running XP, though when I queried this when seeing my own doctor he said they were upgrading within a few days....

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 03:03:45 AM »

Just to update with my Skype problem/reinstall.
(Skype stopped working and the install appeared to fail when being installed)

I decided to try and find out where/what was actually causing the problem, which probably was a good job, because if I had gone for a reinstall the chances are I would also have re-introduced the Skype problem when installing all the software that I would have put on each of the partitions, which would have been my dual-boot XP/Win7 on the laptop and Win7 starter on the NetBook, obviously I would have been checking, but it might have been easy to get beyond myself and miss the problem until after installing a few of the programs which obviously would have then caused confusion.

So after giving it some thought what with the same problem on all 3 partitions, so spent all weekend and most of Monday on the problem and managed to discovered the problem was being caused by 'NetLimiter v1.3' yes I know it's a old program but it did the job and I never needed anything else for what I required and there was never a problem until a few months ago when Skype updated away from v5.1.

To double/triple check, I even 're-introduced' the problem using a ghost image and know the problem is resolved, which fortunately only meant un-installing NetLimiter. (yep, a 5 minute job)

(The problem with the cursor jumping when typing in a post has not been resolved, but I can live with that as it's just a case of turning off the touchpad with the Fn key which I never use anyway and also the Belkin Bluetooth software which again is very rarely used)

So in a way, although it wasn't the last program to be installed, it probably was the last program to get updated that caused the problem.

Sorry for waffling on, but thought it might be good for anyone to know if they come across this thread.
So that's it, now back to topic............ what was the topic?

Edit:
Since finding my original problem was with NetLimiter 1.3 I have now installed 'NetLimiter 2.0.10.1 x86' and everything is working properly, so just more confirmation that it was the older NetLimiter 1.3 program that caused the problem and not necessarily all of the NetLimiter programs.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:16:21 AM by oldfogy »

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 09:03:06 PM »

Without going too-far OT.

If windows XP is re-loaded as a fresh install will all the previous updates and service packs be automatically recommended/installed or would they need to be found, downloaded and installed separately?

I tried Windows Update on two old XP machines yesterday, both start to load the web page (Windows Update on XP is web based) but then one of the browser frames doesn't load, and displays Error number: 0x80248015

This is still happening today.

I think I last successfully ran Windows Update on XP maybe a month ago (it just downloaded the latest Malicious Software Removal program), so this is relatively recent problem.

Could be a problem at MS, or (seems likely) could indicate the support for XP has now been pulled.  Which would mean re-installing XP and expecting to get old driver updates and patches from Windows Update isn't viable anymore.

A quick google didn't find any announcements though, nor people complaining about it recently.  :-\

(Search for "Error number: 0x80248015" and you'll find various problems/fixes posted to forums from a year or two back)

Anyone still using Windows XP care to run Windows Update and see if it runs, or if it gives an error?

Ian

Pages: [1] 2

anything