Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Slow BT Total BroadBand Speed ALL HELP WELCOME !!  (Read 46396 times)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
Re: Slow BT Total BroadBand Speed ALL HELP WELCOME !!
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2008, 09:51:44 PM »

But the thing is my house had all its electricals replaced and a new phone line and Cable box installed due to a Accidental Power surge which EDF admitted to so i don't think it could be Interference from an Electrical Source but if you think it could be that i can call an engineer round. and my phone line isn't a cat5e line it's a basic phone line with an attenuation between 19-27db and an SN Margin between 29.0 and 35.5db  :)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »

Are there anymore TIPS from you guys or am i flying solo from here

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2008, 10:36:11 PM »

Well, we're doing our best, but we're not miracle workers. The enormous jump in the reported attenuation suggests that some physical change has been made to your line, but as you're still getting the same router stats I think that your connection still has rate limiting applied. I'm sorry, but I can't see any option apart from the BT 'help' line again.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2008, 11:11:44 PM »

But the thing is my house had all its electricals replaced and a new phone line and Cable box installed due to a Accidental Power surge which EDF admitted to

When???

Did you see my lost post where I linked to a thread which showed someone having had similar problems to yourself - that was a result of a power surge after someone spliced an electric cable.  Despite the electrical problem being corrected.. then the fixed speed profile remained.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,1464.msg50048.html#msg50048

In that post I also said that you needed to stress that " sort of restriction placed by BTw's Dynamic Line Management system that is stopping you attain sync any higher than 576kbps...  and could they please check to see if your account has been incorrectly capped by the BTw system.""

Tell them that its not an IP profile problem but a suspected MAXDSL fixed speed profile capped at 576 kbps.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2008, 11:25:57 PM »

>> it's a basic phone line with an attenuation between 19-27db

When was the attenuation 19dB - all the stats provided have shown 26/27dB,
yet you'd also said in another post that they'd dropped - if so that would be an increase???

Which ever way the fact still remains that at 27dB your line should be giving you the full 8Mb sync speeds.
What did BT say to that?

>> neighbour seems to get a 6.9MB/s connection off 51db Attenuation

Are you sure those figures are correct?
If you get 26/27dB then I would not expect your neighbour to get 51dB.  Its also unlikely that a 51dB line would sync anywhere near 7Mb.

>> only difference is that my Attenuation has gone up to 50 from 26db

Again some different figures   ??? where was the 50dB attenuation? -
Your line stats posted dont show 50dB - they show 26/27dB

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2008, 11:33:50 PM »

OK can you go here please - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php

~ Insert your Phone No and Postcode into the checker.
~ Paste the results in this forum

- Do NOT include your phone no when you paste in the results. The info I want is the
~ BT exchange info including the distances
~ BT line speed Estimation
~ RAG test Results
~ dslmax linecode

THEN repeat the test putting in your neighbours phone no -  I want to see the same bits of info.

-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2008, 11:40:30 PM »

for normal telephoney, (voice/pstn) you usually have 50v on the line. across a dsl output at the exchange  you will not see any voltage from the dsl output if the pstn is disconnected, 0.35v would be acceptable as an maximum output with dsl sync only essentualy works via inductance, and therefore is irrelavent in proving any faults on the line from the dsl on it's own. It comes down to the test results as long as a sync is obtained
(thats why one dsl signal sould not interfere with another on the same cable dispite it's close poximity to any other pair, also why some  may marvel at the low power of signal produced by the exchange and then the extreame db loss to the end user by so many, any more energy then dsl would fall down with more than a few subscibers on the same cable)
it's due the way dsl works and enables it to work piggybacked on top of your pstn signal.

If you have a line fault then as  far as voltage is concerned then it could be an earth or battery contact which is something every openreach enginner should look for straight away, (it a fundemental thing to look for on any line before/after working on). Sounds like Techy stuff you can't get your head around, don't worry not your problem. Only an issue for an Openreach engineer to look into. You can have one of the above faults without affecting your broadband, or some times one of the above to a very minor degree and totaly affects your broadband. Still never your issue, just an issue for an engineer.

With the line test, yes gradually more and more of the options need either an EIN (which is privey to an engineer. or a mobile number (which again is an allocated number to an engineer along with one of two other id numbers) to work. Because in part of the public knowledge of the test number there is another test system. If theres a subject to get any BT engineer moaning & whinging, this is one

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2008, 11:48:36 PM »

Like previous posts. there shouldn't be a real difference in line attenuation unless thers's a change with soething on your internal wiring or a fair chunk or the bt cableing from the exchange to you has been updated recently.

On a fixed speed dsl the snr again shouldn;t change by more than 3db's a matter of course unless you have a major noise source near you.

Given the difference with both figures i would suspect to a degree the way your equipment is behaving/testing the line

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2008, 03:35:46 PM »

On my line my Line the are what show from the ADSL Checker:

Exchange: Southbank. BT Code: WRSTHBK
 ADSL enabled : March 30, 2000
 dsl Max enabled:  March 30, 2006
 SDSL enabled : Enabled
 21CN due : no info
Distance:- Direct:    966 metres
    (appx)* By Road: 1.77 km

BT Line Speed Estimation  Other Broadband Technology & LLU Providers 

Fixed ADSL:  512 kbps (0.5 Mb) 
 DSL Max :   500 kbps (0.5 Mb

I think it's definitly BT and i have to tell them straight !!

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2008, 03:37:25 PM »

Although it does say my line is Unable to support Fixed Speeds is that a bad thing on my line or is that ok

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2008, 04:18:11 PM »

On my line my neighbours Line these are what shows from the ADSL Checker:

Exchange: Southbank. BT Code: WRSTHBK
 ADSL enabled : March 30, 2000
 dsl Max enabled:  March 30, 2006
 SDSL enabled : Enabled
 21CN due : no info

BT Line Speed Estimation   

Fixed ADSL:  2000 kbps (2.0 Mb) 
 DSL Max :   7100 kbps (7.1 Mb)

I honestly don't understand how this can be  :-\:-\

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2008, 04:44:49 PM »

It looks as though the BT database has your line pegged as marginal. 'Unable to support fixed speeds' is what you get with a very long high-attenuation line. However the attenuation figures reported by your router don't agree with this, and I'm afraid (sorry!) that it's back to the help line again.

[Edit] In respect of your PM, your neighbour has normal performance that match the router stats, but your connection speed is apparently being capped as a result of previous instability. From your router stats, you should be getting the same sort of performance as your neighbour.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:50:15 PM by roseway »
  Eric

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2008, 04:50:51 PM »

ahhh well thanks for the help everyone  :)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2008, 05:53:58 PM »

if this helps my SNR Margin has increased from 30.5 to 36.5 :) from what you have told me and the Kitz tutorials Increasing SNR is good and my Line attenuation has dropped from 26.0 to 23.0 :):)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2008, 07:06:42 PM »

---
Fixed ADSL:  512 kbps (0.5 Mb) 
 DSL Max :   500 kbps (0.5 Mb

---

Although it does say my line is Unable to support Fixed Speeds

Thank you -  from that I can backward guess what your RAG test result would be too (something like REGEGEC).
* You didnt post that bit - so can you just confirm that this is correct before proceeding with the next bit.

As suspected, at some point your line has obviously been declared by the DLM system as being unable to cope with speeds any higher than 500 - despite you having previously had much higher speeds... and has been MAXDSL rate limited to 500 kbps.
As mentioned previously this tends to occur if your line is whats considered a "cronic flapper" by the DLM system.

I strongly suspect that this may have occurred at the time of the power surge - just like the other example that I linked to earlier. 

You now however have proof that BTw need to investigate your line and you need to insist that your case is looked into for the following reasons.
(You can use the following termanology on your support ticket it if helps)

~ Your line syncs at a maximum of  576 because the results of a RAG test shows the line as being marked REGEGEC (*see above) and has been rated limited at the DSLAM.
~ Your line has an attenuation of 26/27dB with an SNR Margin of 29.0 - 35.5db  which should be sufficient to give you the full (or near as damn it) 8Mb
~ Your suspected line length is around 2km which also should be more than sufficient to cope with much higher speeds than 500 kbps
~ You previously sync'd at 7Mbps until a power surge which has now been fixed by EDF
~ Neighbouring properties are receiving around 7Mbps

Insist that they get BTw to look into this matter - and if it means they do have to send out an engineer so be it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

------------
The only thing that has confused me is where you said both you and your neighbours line had an attenuation of 51dB at one point - then you said yours fluctuated that high too.  In view of your distance from the exchange neither you or your neighbour should be seeing an attenuation that high... actually since your neighbours line is marked at 7100 and is acheiving 8Mb speeds this is highly unlikely.
Therefore Im going solely off the figures that you have provided in this thread and the several sets of stats provided herein.

If your line does attenuation does fluctuate that wildly - then you do need to insist that an engineer is called out anyhow.
-----
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8