Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Billion BiPAC 8800NL - discussion  (Read 8899 times)

TimeBandit

Billion BiPAC 8800NL - discussion
« on: September 15, 2014, 07:02:53 PM »

Billion BiPAC 8800NL Circa £80
Link to manufacturers site with specifications
Broadcom chipset, so works with HG612 Modem Logs & Stats viewer & MyDSLWebStats  :thumbs:
Slightly quirky web interface, but does work to route a /29 subnet, rather than purely being a NAT gateway (Like the FritzBoxes, which can only handle a single public IP address), but beware the filtering - it's not intuitive (by default, it blocks all traffic from outside, so you have to set up a rule to allow external traffic to reach even public IPs which are behind it).
Interfaces are 1x xDSL, 1x Gigabit Ethenet, and 3x 10/100 (one of which can be used as a routable interface for use with a cable modem or whatever).
2.4GHz Wireless LAN.
1x USB which can be set up to serve files internally or externally.

Very power efficient.

Edited to add - it supports vectoring, which I think we can agree is a Good Thing.

---
Edited by Admin
Worthy of its own thread - thanks for your comments.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:33:53 AM by kitz »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Re: Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 07:55:21 AM »

Billion BiPAC 8800NL Circa £80
Link to manufacturers site with specifications
Broadcom chipset, so works with HG612 Modem Logs & Stats viewer & MyDSLWebStats  :thumbs:
Slightly quirky web interface, but does work to route a /29 subnet, rather than purely being a NAT gateway (Like the FritzBoxes, which can only handle a single public IP address), but beware the filtering - it's not intuitive (by default, it blocks all traffic from outside, so you have to set up a rule to allow external traffic to reach even public IPs which are behind it).
Interfaces are 1x xDSL, 1x Gigabit Ethenet, and 3x 10/100 (one of which can be used as a routable interface for use with a cable modem or whatever).
2.4GHz Wireless LAN.
1x USB which can be set up to serve files internally or externally.

Very power efficient.

Edited to add - it supports vectoring, which I think we can agree is a Good Thing.

indeed not sure why the fritzboxes get described as "feature heavy" they are not, they lack many advanced functions such as bridging, snmp, static routing etc.  Apparently friztboxes could bridge originally but for whatever reason they removed that function.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Billion BiPAC 8800NL - discussion
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:31:14 PM »

max are you still using the 8800nl? I feel lonely, everyone else seems to prefer the zyxel. :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 04:44:30 PM »

I use the 8800NL, but at the moment my connection is performing so well that I have nothing useful to say about it.
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »

good :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 05:18:52 PM »

I believe Walter also has an 8800NL, loaded onto his Wheelbarrow, for use when troubleshooting in the Surrey Hills around and about Ewhurst . . .  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 11:04:29 AM »

Hello to all,

I'm also using a Billion BIPAC 8800NL, and aside from some initial 'teething' troubles it seems to do the business very well indeed.

I do still have a couple of issues relating to the monitoring programs, but it certainly seems ok with DSLSTATS.

TTFN

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 02:36:05 PM »

with modem stats BE fixed the graph creation issues on the 8800nl, but I dont know when he will be rolling out the fixes, he fixed it for me a few days back.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 08:30:43 PM »

with modem stats BE fixed the graph creation issues on the 8800nl, but I dont know when he will be rolling out the fixes, he fixed it for me a few days back.

Updated HG612 Modem Stats programs (including the Billion fix - I hope it doesn't negatively affect the snapshot graphing program for ZyXel modems) are likely to be available for beta program updates via Ronski's GUI shortly after 10:00, Sunday 16th - to coincide with the planned MyDSLWebstats server switch.

Both HG612 Modem Stats & DSLStats will also from that time be using a separate program for uploading logs to MDWS.

anything