Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B  (Read 35733 times)

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2014, 10:42:04 PM »

So you are saying that you can only use LAN1 to  your network once you have set it up via  LAN2 ?.

No

when it is router mode (non bridged) you can un-check both lan1 and lan2....in bridge mode just check lan1...and connect this to your device that performs the pppoe.  ;)

Ian

markbarabus

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 03:01:02 PM »

Ok my second HG612 arrived this morning, its the SP10 variant if that makes any difference, the other one is SP06. Anyway flashed the unlocked firmware and tried PPOE again with same result- dropping connection every minute. Tried the router mode and although windows was reporting i had internet i couldnt actually open any sites in the browser, skype chats were working however and it appeared not to be dropping connection in router mode. I had to use LLC in place of VCMUX again so dont know whats up with that?

So thats 2 modems both with the same results, connections dropping every minute in PPOE bridge mode which leads me to believe the modem is not the problem? I've yet to try different DDWRT firmwares on my router so will try that at some point today but otherwise i'm stumped as to what could be the problem here.

What would cause PPOE to drop connection like that?

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »

You could try setting up the ppoe straight to your computer ....just for testing.

What would cause PPOE to drop connection like that?

Any logging enabled??

Ian

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 08:54:35 PM »

Have you checked your isp settings they want you to use ?, mine was PPPoA so that's what I used also it dials it up from the modem which is more convenient for me.
Mine is now the best connection I have had for a long time on ADSL.
Keep at it and you will get there. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 12:17:01 AM »

Mine is now the best connection I have had for a long time on ADSL.

I'm sorry that I was unable to help you but the configuration for a block of static IPv4 addresses is something outside of my sphere of knowledge.

It's good to know that you have managed to achieve an excellent connection. The Broadcom chip-set shows its worth, yet again!  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

markbarabus

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 03:39:57 PM »

Glad you got it working.

I have to say i'm still struggling with mine, i keep going back to it but really dont seem to be getting anywhere. Been onto the BT forums and they seem to think i shouldnt be using PPOE but i'm positive ADSL lines support PPOE as i've used it before at a previous property. Is there anyway to check if my line supports PPOE so i know for sure? I mean it definately works as i'm getting a connection but it keeps getting disconnected every minute and losing the WAN IP.

Taking their advice i tried PPOA and although the modem stats stated i had connection i couldnt browse any websites so i'm not sure whats up with that? BT also seem to think it should be in VCMUX mode but i'm still having to enable LLC in order to get connection.

Did you find you had to enable LLC to get yours working or am i alone on that one?

I dont mind using PPOA but i just cant seem to get it working, PPOE is the only one i have managed to get anywhere with so far but with it disconnecting every minute its no good.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 12:03:56 AM »

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

markbarabus

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2014, 02:35:08 AM »

I've seen that yes and i'm afriad i've tried just about everything mentioned. Just been through it all again to double check i hadnt missed anything but no joy just another late night  :(.

I think the answer lies in PPOA but why i cant access websites in this mode i dont know. I just tried again before giving up tonight and the modem stats report being connected so i enable the built in DHCP and cant browse anything but once again skype is signed in and i can chat away. Disabled the modem DHCP and connected to my router where i had the same again, no websites but skype working. What on earth would be preventing websites from loading? DHCP is on, uPnP, etc its just so strange...

At this stage i'm honestly on the verge of giving up, i must of spent a full 24 hours messing with it and i'm still no better off. PPOE keeps dropping every minute and PPOA refuses to load websites so i really dont know what else to try. Has anyone sucessfuly got this thing working with a BT ADSL line or am i wasting my time? I feel i'm so close yet so far...

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »

What on earth would be preventing websites from loading?

DNS !
Like I put in one of my posts, the DSL had connected I could ping 212.58.244.20 in a Linux terminal (Windows shell) but I could not ping www.bbc.co.uk, so to me that said problem with DNS, you said you enabled DCHP, well on that page I have my ISP recommended DNS servers listed, Have you ?, 8.8.8.8 = google DNS servers you could use that if you do know what the isp one's are.
re. 'I think the answer lies in PPOA' was does you isp say PPPoA or oE ?.

markbarabus

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 05:13:48 PM »

OMG!!  :o I never even considered DNS, i just presumed they would be auto populated but right you are as soon as id specified DNS servers i had working internet. I just cant believe it was that, wouldnt mind but i was reading your thread the other day and it still didnt click  :no:. I just presumed you were on a static IP lease or something lol.

So i got it working finally! Still not exactly what i had in mind but i guess it will have to do. I think its what you call a half bridge mode, i have the modem handling PPOA and LAN1 set as the BRIDGE. This then goes into my routers WAN port where i have it set to act as a SWITCH- not ideal but i couldnt get anything better to work. The router is still handling addresses and what not so thats the main thing.

I'm just really happy to finally have this setup working, and thank you tickmike for providing me with the solution. Really cant thank you enough!  :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2014, 09:28:45 PM »

Glad you got it sorted, just put the cheque in the post ASAP  ;D.

If I can get another HG612 I will have a play with the settings again but I do not want to muck about with this one.

I'm using Eric's DSLstats again (I could not use it on my Speedtouch 536) with no problems in it connecting through my network by just putting the modems ip address in the login details, I can also get the modems details up with a web page.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2014, 01:18:33 AM »

@markbarabus,   Just read this post, see about LL                                                                                       http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14509.msg271374#msg271374

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:14 PM »

Ok
Just read this post, see about LL

Just read it as well.....set-up and tested the hg612 using bridge,LLC and my pppoe conected without further ado......but ....the connection was dropping every 1-2 mins.

Draft conclusions after BT engineering works (3/10/14)

1) ADSL bridged connections using vc-mux  are unable to connect
2) Some ADSL bridged connection using LLC encapsulation do not work (drop out every 1-2 mins)

I have PM'd mike (from the other thread) to see if his pppoe bridge is working OK

Ian

markbarabus

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »

Thats a very interesting read and i'm glad its not just me experiencing the ppoe dropouts ever 1-2 mins.

This explains a lot as i was saying in an earlier reply i had ppoe working on an adsl type line years previous so i couldnt understand it.

I just hope they can get it working again if it is indeed something BT have done.

Would be interested to hear what Mike has to say as i'm stuck using the modem for everything now.

I did have it setup with my router as posted above but found a big problem with that setup being i couldnt port forward or get upnp to work. I asked around on the ddwrt forums about it and apparently the only way to get upnp to work is if the router is handling the wan so without ppoe i'm stuck for the time being as i cant see any other way around it.

Someone did manage to get a modem+router working over PPTP mode http://charleswilkinson.co.uk/2013/01/02/dd-wrt-and-pppoa-using-st510-v6/ but i cant say i understand this setup and besides i cant see it working as i'm pretty sure the IP we get from the ISP (BT) is dynamic and changes frequently.

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2014, 06:38:49 PM »

Hi All,

I don't have access to a Huawei EchoLife so I don't know what the particular device can or cannot do and to top it up I don't have access to DD-WRT either.   ::)

Generally speaking the modem should be placed in a fully bridged mode, so that it passes the IP address over to the router.  The modem will perform no DHCP, no DNS resolution, no NAT'ing.  Just encapsulates ethernet packets into ATM frames and pushes them onto the BT network.

In this set up the router will be performing all of the above functions (DHCP, DNS, NAT) while also performing the authentication with the ISP's RADIUS server using PPPoE.

Since BT changed their RAS kit late last year PPPoE will no longer work with VCMux encapsulation.  It must be set to LLC.  This increases the frame header size and therefore is not as efficient as VCMux, but if you don't like this you can always write a letter to BT to complain for the lack of choice their profit maximisation decisions and consequently restrictive technical solutions have reduced us to!  :P

If you managed to get a connection with PPPoE to the Internet then your set up is correct as far as ATM encapsulation at the modem is concerned.  The fact that the router disconnects at regular intervals tells me that you probably have not set up Keep Alive packets and if no packets are flowing the connection times out.  In your screenshot of the router settings at a previous message, you had not enabled "Force Reconnect".  You could try enabling this and see if the PPP connection remains, or you could look for other settings under "Advanced" that you could tweak.

In addition, the router logs may shed some light into this.  You need to find out why the PPP connection fails and errors/warnings captured in logs could explain why it happens.

Finally, it may also be useful to set up a PC with PPPoE and connect it directly to the bridged modem, so that you can see if the PPP connection continues to fail and what the PC logs reveal.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mick
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything