Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Streaming files from PC to TV  (Read 3877 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Streaming files from PC to TV
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »

I'm sure I have posted about this before but searching the forum for some time didn't find my original post.
I have a tg582 (without the USB and thus the built in media server) and I have tried several times to stream files to my TV through the router but with no success. I use (or try to) a serviio server which doesn't reliably see the TV but more importantly (I think) the TV doesn't see the PC although it sees the router and can access the internet. I'm thinking that something in the router is blocking connection to the PC. I've turned off win 7 firewall and the router firewall is not the problem either. I'm wondering if I have to open some ports in the router to solve this problem. I've posted on the Plusnet forum but have not had any replies. Can anyone help please, or should I try another router?
Tony

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Streaming files from PC to TV
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »

Have you tried configuring static IP addresses, vs DHCP?

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:51:21 PM »

I tried but to my aged brain the 582 interface is rather opaque. I really need my hand held preferably by someone who has the same set up as me i.e a 582, win 7 and the Serviio media software.
Tony

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 01:06:02 PM »

I tried but to my aged brain the 582 interface is rather opaque. I really need my hand held preferably by someone who has the same set up as me i.e a 582, win 7 and the Serviio media software.
Tony
Sorry Tony, I have none of those. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 12:03:39 AM »

I dont have your set-up, but I doubt its anything to do with the router as both the TV and PC are on the LAN side.

Just a thought... because Im clutching at straws... but could it be an issue with Windows7 sharing.   I know that Windows 7/8 can be a bit of a bugger sometimes for other operating systems to see.   I have music on my d-drive that should be available to share across my network, but an old XP machine used to have a devil of a time trying to see anything on the Win7 machine.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt.  The Win7 machine could see the XP machine absolutely fine.  I never spent much time looking into it though because the XP machine went to a new home soon after... TBH I used to cheat by using the Win7 machine to dump files, rather than pull them down directly at the XP machine. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 05:09:26 PM »

I have double checked my file sharing status in Win 7 and all seems correct. I have fiddled with the TV network setup but still no joy. It is very irritating that I can't seem to fix this especially because the TV sees the internet fine. Never mind it's not the end of the world!
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 04:39:04 PM »

Sorry if it's not of any help, but a problem I used to have was when files did not having a recognised extension such as .avi etc, as my system only seemed to recognise those certain files.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:37:32 PM by oldfogy »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 04:44:47 PM »

I know that some TVs are fussy about what kind of media they will display. To start with if your TV has a USB socket then put some of the media files on a memory stick and plug it into the TV and see which ones it recognises. At a club I belong to we have a TV with a USB connection and it will only play mpeg2 files not mp4 for example so it could be your TV simply cannot play the files you have.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 12:43:05 AM »

I don't think the type of files or their extension is the problem. I know the TV, a Panasonic, can only play a restricted range of files, that's why I installed a software media player (serviio) which will transcode on the fly. Although Kitz seems sure it is not the router ( and I'm sure she is more knowledgeable than I in this regard) I'm puzzled by the fact that the TV can see the internet through the router (and displays YouTube for example)  but if I go to media server on the TV menu setting it sees the TG582 but no files or pictures.Also Serviio cannot see the tv through the router which should be automatic. I shall try the Serviio forum again (it's been quite a long time since the last time I tried it) and see if they can give me some pointers. I'm pretty sure I can download the Serviio log to them and they will comment, helpfully I hope!
Tony

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 11:05:36 AM »

It was in November 2014 when I posted on this subject and I thought I should post because I have solved my problem. Since the original post I have changed my router to a TP Link  TD W9980 and am now on FTTC. I decided to give the streaming business another whirl and hey presto, it works. I think this points to the Plusnet 582 as the culprit because of Plusnet's firmware I suppose. Not to worry all working now and all my pics and youtube downloads can be seen on my widescreen TV. The serviio media server converts those file formats my Panasonic can't handle (on the fly) and it all works very well. Another discovery was a wireless N mini router for a tenner on Ebay converts my wifi to Ethernet to feed the Panasonic and a check with speedtest.net shows it not restricting my download speed at all and I'm getting the full 75 Mbits download. I'm a happy bunny.
Tony

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 03:56:21 PM »

Eighteen months on and a good result.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 04:06:10 PM »

:)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 04:16:23 PM »

I'm glad that you have it sorted.

A good media server program is Universal Media Server

It works best if you have a console. But I think there are profiles for televisions too, as long as they are connected directly to your network. It's free and updated regularly. I've had no issues so far.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

anything