Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netear DG834GT and Asus RT-AC66U combo  (Read 4666 times)

wil892

• Just arrived
Netear DG834GT and Asus RT-AC66U combo
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:19:16 AM »

New here so hi everyone,

I'm having issues with poor HH4 wifi and connection responsivness so I've decided to ditch it in favor of a modem + router setup.

I've got a new Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router and a new Asus RT-AC66U router only.

The connection is an ADSL 20CN 8Mbit down 0.4Mbit up line provided by BT broadband, and i'm about 500m away from the exchange on an exchange only line

Noise attenuation is approx 25db up 12db down and I get pretty good line speeds 6.5-7.5mbits (better with my broken DGN2200 than the current HH4 which is sometimes very slow and has high ping latency)

The idea was to flash the DG834GT to DGTeam firmware and use it as bridge modem mode to the Asus. This would give me a good ADSL connection and great Wireless routing + USB network devices etc

Anyway just after purchasing them I ran into a few threads saying I could not bridge the connection from the DG834GT to the Asus because I connect to ADSL with PPPOA and the bridge requires a PPPOE connection

Though i subsequently read that my line would be capable of connecting via PPPOE which would allow the bridging of both devices but is not optimal and might be slower

I'm not at home until next week so I cannot test all of this however I just was looking for input from here as to what I might expect.

Should I try the DG834GT in PPPOE to see what speeds and stability I get first or should I ditch the lot and get an integrated ADSL modem/router combo?

I've spent quite a long time reading though having not tried anything I cannot claim to be very experienced in this issue, any help would be appreciated, thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Netear DG834GT and Asus RT-AC66U combo
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.

If I was in your situation, I would test with the currently available equipment. So try with the DG834GT in bridge mode, using PPPoE and see how things behave. :)

If thinking of obtaining different equipment, I would probably look for a good second-hand Draytek Vigor 120 and use that as the bridge device.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:52:41 PM »

With adsl2 you won't loose any speed or thoughput if you use the DG834GT as a normal adsl router, probably with the wireless off and just connect the Asus with a single ethernet connection between them using the DG834GT for dchp. 

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 04:47:03 PM »

The DHCP server will be far better on the Asus. I'd recommend disabling the firewall, NAT, etc. on the DG834GT and running it in bridge mode. Then, connect with PPPoE on the Asus and you're good to go :)

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:10:37 PM »

I'm sure I read on here that the HG612 can be placed in Bridge mode on adsl. Might be worth buying one off  eBay and future proofing in case you go on fibre.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

wil892

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 08:23:57 PM »

So if I understand correctly. Once I flash the DG834GT with the 3rd party DGTeam software this opens up 'modem only' mode. Is this this same as bridge only?

If so I assume setting up the 834GT with this setting would disable all features.

The issue I think I might have using this modem only mode is trying to connect to the ADSL from the ASUS through the 834GT, wouldn't this be a fully PPPOE connection which may not be supported or optimal by my exchange.

If so, is it then a case of keeping the 834GT in router+modem and disabling all features, then running it to the ASUS which would then handle DHCP, NAT and the Firewall.

Am I totally off with that?

duckson

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 07:06:05 PM »

I have pretty much the same question as I have a Netgear DG834GT (on DGTeam firmware - V1.03.23 - DGTeam Rev. 1012) but have just purchased an Asus RT-AC68U, shouldnt make any difference compared to the 66U.

I think i am having intermittent DHCP server issues with the GT, sometimes my wifi is connected seemingly but cant access the internet or the routers settings (via 192.168.1.1) (its all working fine then it just lets go).
This could be because i have more wifi and hard wired devices than ever before, best part of 10 wifi and 10 hard wired devices.

I echo the above question, if i set the GT in modem only mode does it disable all other settings? Or do i need to change its IP to something other than 192.168.1.1 (as the Asus uses that and thats what the NAS uses on my network (192.168.1.x range) so would like to keep that format for the DHCP). Say change the GT to 192.168.0.1?

Or again like the above question could I use my DG834GT as is (IP set as 192.168.1.1) but switch off its DHCP server, NAT and wireless connection then connect the RT-AC68U via ethernet, give it an ip address of 192.168.1.2 and enable it's DHCP server (use range 192.168.1.3 upwards say), NAT and wireless connection. Would this work ok?

Oh and PS, i should be able to order Fibre in the next few months, the cab has been installed since August and Samknows is reporting 31/12/14....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:09:10 PM by duckson »
Cheers, Stu
Asus RT-AC68U (Merlin Fork 3.74 Update 5)
Netgear DG834GT (DGTeam firmware, modem mode)
XILO LLU

G.DMT

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 08:43:19 PM »

wouldn't this be a fully PPPOE connection which may not be supported or optimal by my exchange.

I have heard this guff from BT tech support / other forums etc.

As I Understand It - It is total guff because ALL exchanges have to support the PPPoE _standard_ because it is required for BTs Business customers and Business customers of BTs wholesale customers.

AFAIK It is a long standing standard that has been supported for years.
BT just want you to pay extra to use it, so call it 'unsupported' for BT retail customers.

;)