Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Router with decent WiFi Range for use with OR Modem (VDSL)  (Read 6645 times)

RustySpoons

• Just arrived
Router with decent WiFi Range for use with OR Modem (VDSL)
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:23 AM »

After my other thread I have ditched the Brightbox 2,

I got my hands on 2 Openreach modems, I unlocked the HG612 and also have an ECI modem, I can confirm the ECI modem is working very well and an increase in speed over the HG612 and the Brightbox 2.

I am currently using a Netgear DGND3700 for NAT/Wifi duties, but finding the range a bit poor.

Am looking at others such as the ASUS AC 66/68 range or the Netgear R7000.

Also do any of these routers report line stats such as sync speed etc when using Ethernet WAN? I know the Home hub3 does as I've got one here that I was messing around with, the DGND3700 gives no information about the VDSL connection speed at all.

Also, not sure if this feature exists, but I have a cyberghost VPN account, i'd like to use that with just one Linux device to download LEGAL torrents (My ISP Blocks Torrents) as I do a lot of work with virtual machines and download a lot of ISO's via torrent. Is it possible to use the VPN (OpenVPN etc) that's built in to the router for just 1 IP address? As I don't want everything going through the VPN.

If that's not possible then I'll just put a OpenVPN on a linux distro on my ESXi server.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Router with decent WiFi Range for use with OR Modem (VDSL)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »

ASUS AC 66/68

If youre just looking for a router then the ASUS seem to be quite favoured when it comes to wireless range.   Its their combined modem/routers that dont seem to be performing quite as well as there are still some issues on the DSL side of things which need ironing out.

Also do any of these routers report line stats such as sync speed etc when using Ethernet WAN?

If you mean using with a HG612 modem, I dont see why not.  I dont have one of these units so cant say for certain.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »

The ASUS DSL-AC68U doesn't display the synch speed when using an attached modem, it just displays a single green icon indicating an internet connection is connected via the WAN port.

The current beta firmware seems to be much better than previous releases so be prepared to possibly fall back to an attached modem rather than a all-in-one solution for a while until a few bugs are ironed out if it is unstable on your line.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 04:35:29 PM »

I thought he meant using it as router only with an additional CAT5 cable to get the line stats direct from the HG612.  Im not sure as the question wasnt too clear.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »

If the HG612 is unlocked then yes you can connect another ethernet cable to port2 of the Hg612 and access the HG612 by its own GUI. However that set up will use 2 out of the 4 ethernet ports as it doesn't have a dedicated WAN port
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:43:17 PM by simoncraddock »

RustySpoons

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 06:55:04 PM »

Cheers for the replies. I know using the HG612 I would still be able to access stats.  But the ECI works much better than anything else I have tried so far.

I wonder how the BT HH3 can tell you what sync speed, error and other stats. With the open reach modem.

I know my netgear doesn't do this, was hoping others would though.  I wonder how the HH3 does it, snmp,  ftp, vlan?

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »

Considering the fact the Openreach modem and HH3 are both from BT, it makes sense they can talk to each other in ways 3rd party routers don't have access too.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »

I thought the HH3 could only report stats on ADSL when it is the modem as well, not on FTTC.

RustySpoons

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »

I thought the HH3 could only report stats on ADSL when it is the modem as well, not on FTTC.

Deffo does it via the the WAN port when used with an Openreach modem.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 08:25:50 PM »

Mine doesn't.

RustySpoons

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 09:18:31 PM »

Mine doesn't.

Interesting, what ISP?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:23:48 PM by RustySpoons »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 09:22:58 PM »

BT Infinity

RustySpoons

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 09:23:56 PM »

BT Infinity

Thinking about it, I may have made an error.
I had Infinity from BT 2 years ago with a HH3, I am almost certain it reported sync speeds, but I had a look for screenshots and forums suggest it doesn't do that.
I had all my stats and was before I unlocked my modem. As I was having issues at that time and complaining to BT to get OR out to sort it. I must have got them via the openreach wholesale checker!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »

That reads as far more logical.  :)

A standard Openreach provided modem for the EU end of the VDSL2 link of the GEA product has absolutely no means of passing statistics to the device acting as router/firewall/WAP/DHCP server, etc.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

RustySpoons

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 06:42:48 PM »

Tried the Netgear R7000, laggy GUI from the year 2000!, WiFi range worse than the brightbox 2.

Best combo so far is ECI modem going in to Brightbox 2 WAN.

WiFi I'm struggling with, the whole hose is fine, all 3 floors. Apart from the Living room? I have switched everything off electrical, checked the whole house for dodgy AC adapters ETC, the kitchen appliances.

I wonder if the neighbor had crappy cordless phones, video senders or something that is causing chaos in my living room.
I have a LAN downstairs for the HIFI but I need WiFi for the Chromecast and Nexus 7. I have thought about putting an AP down there on a different SSID or a repeated but I think that's a bandaid solution and going to congest the WiFi a bit more in the house or decrease the bandwidth.
Pages: [1] 2