Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 as an ADSL router  (Read 2810 times)

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
HG612 as an ADSL router
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »

I have been using my unlocked HG612 as a modem only on my post office (talk talk non LLU) ADSL connection for several months, and earlier this week after maintanance on the line http://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/outages.aspx?number=01437 the modem was in sync (it had not even dropped it) but the pppoe connection was unable to connect.

After checking the line could sync if a router was used in pppoa mode I decided to configure the HG612 as a router using the settings shown in the attachments below.

The biggest annoyance is that on the hg612 one cannot set reserved DHCP addresses and also the router I was using, the asus rtn66, this cannot be used as a dhcp server in access point mode, so I had to use my old faithful (still used as a second AP) Linksys WRT54GL as the dhcp server.

Using grc.com's shield up port scanner, I mostly get closed ports not stealth that I would prefer; but browsing seems a little faster and I can still access line stats and configure the modems snrm etc.

Ian

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 as an ADSL router
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »

I am afraid that I noticed the same port status issue but never fully resolved it. I did manage to close the open port - with a port forward to a closed port I think.  I did not complete trying all firewall configuration options as I need wireless and decided that if I was using the HG612 I might just as well bridge to the router that had the wireless.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: HG612 as an ADSL router
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 05:27:56 PM »

I did manage to close the open port

I had a fiddle about today and forwarded port 443 to a port higher than 1024, I also blocked pings from all WAN IP's, except the f8lure monitors I run.

anything