Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: EE Fibre - New Modem & Router or All In One  (Read 3950 times)

RustySpoons

• Just arrived
EE Fibre - New Modem & Router or All In One
« on: October 21, 2014, 07:03:30 PM »

Hi All,

First of all Hi!

Just found this forum, going around in circles trying to find out the best solution, but cannot come up with an answer.... Google fu is not strong today.

I currently have a Brightbox 2 with FTTC (EE PLUS), I am 0.2 miles from the Cabinet, it's a ECI 128
I get 64/20 with the Brightbox 2, I want to ditch this and get something else, the router/modem is pants!

I have 2 Options, Modem & Router or All in one.

Firstly which is the best option, personally I am favoring the separate boxes as I can upgrade either at any time if technology changes and not all eggs in one basket.

Which modem is the best? the HG612 3B or the ECI V-2FUb/r Rev.B. I can get either model, I do not care for web GUI etc as I use command line and am an electronics engineer, I am looking purely performance, speed reliability.

What is a decent router to work with the modem, I have a 3 story house and everything is in the Study/Server room on the middle floor most machines via gigabit switches but mobile devices and laptops are on Wifi the Brightbox 2 Wifi rang is hopeless! Even a HH3 is better.

Or my second option which is least favored unless they have much better vDSL capability of the aforementioned modems...

Also, no idea if its the router/modem, cabinet, oversubscribed or even the ISP but I get a lot of web pages not loading on first click, have to reload once or twice on occasions?

Any answers gratefully appreciated.

JamesK

• Reg Member
Re: EE Fibre - New Modem & Router or All In One
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:35:41 PM »

Hi There.

I'm connected to an ECI cabinet and found that the ECI /r modem gave me a faster and more stable connection. When I had issues with my connection I used an HG612 for a few months in order to hack it run stats. These were very useful. Hacking the ECI is much more difficult. Once my problems were resolved I went back to using the ECI.

I live in a 3 storey house and I found the Asus RT-N66U to offer the best range of any router I've ever had. It's placed on the middle floor of my house. I've seen since upgraded to the RT-AC68U which supports AC wireless. The range on this isn't quite as good as the N66U but still more than good enough to cover the whole house reasonably well.

It's worth looking at the smallnetbuilder forums for the "Merlin" firmware if you go down this route. If extra range are important look for the 374 firmware releases as these were released before Asus got in trouble in the US for exceeding the wireless transmit power. There's plenty of articles on there about it. I'm using the latest 376 firmware and its fine for me. These firmware are available for the RT-N66U, RT-AC68U, and several other routers.

Given the number of firmware updates that come out I'd be reluctant to look at a combined VDSL modem and router as for me there would be a risk of DLM kicking in.

Hope this helps.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

RustySpoons

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »

Thanks for your reply. I have just ordered an ECI Modem and have a HG612 3B coming from a friend.

Will have a look at routers now.

Before I mess around swapping things over, can anyone tell me how my stats look please :)

FTTC, 7 year old house. NTE5 front of house, MK1 faceplate. Openreach xDSL extension approx 3 metres straight run to first floor, IDC to MK1 Faceplate. To RJ45 data socket upstairs. No extensions active (Pulled wires out),  Siemens Gigaset DECT with ECO Plus on.

Code: [Select]
Time Connected 171:15:40
DSL STATUS

This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.

STATUS
  Configured Current
Line Status -- UP
Link Type -- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream 20000 (Kbps)
Downstream 64986 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 7.1 (dB) 7.4 (dB)
Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 16.3 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 6.6 (dBm) 14.1 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 2731
Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- --
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error -- --
Loss Of Signal Defect 1 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 13025
Interleaved Path HEC Error -- --
Error Seconds 10358 753
STATISTICS
Received Data 10777926 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data NaN (Kbits)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:40:23 AM by RustySpoons »

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 01:14:40 PM »

I don't know what chipset is present in the box EE have supplied to you. I think your current stats look fine.

I found that I got around a 2/3mbps increase in speed when using the ECI over the HG612, so it's not unreasonable to assume that you will get a slight improvement in connection speed. If your EE box has a Lantiq chipset then you probably won't see an increase in speed, as this is the same chipset as used in the ECI modem.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

RustySpoons

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »

I don't know what chipset is present in the box EE have supplied to you. I think your current stats look fine.

I found that I got around a 2/3mbps increase in speed when using the ECI over the HG612, so it's not unreasonable to assume that you will get a slight improvement in connection speed. If your EE box has a Lantiq chipset then you probably won't see an increase in speed, as this is the same chipset as used in the ECI modem.

Thanks for your reply JamesK,

The Brightbox2 has a Broadcom  BCM63168 chipset, so hopefully a nice little increase in speeds :)

I have no idea what xDSL stats are meant to be, thanks for checking those out :) glad they are okay.
Cable yes as I used to work for CableTel/NTL back in 2001