Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ECI modem OK but two HG612's won't connect  (Read 2695 times)

LaurieR

ECI modem OK but two HG612's won't connect
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »

I had an ECI modem which worked fine. I bought a 2nd-hand HG612 some months ago and unlocked it as was interested in logging stats. It worked fine until recently, but one morning DSL was flashing and it just wouldn't connect. I swapped back to the ECI which was fine, and assumed the Echolife was faulty even though I could talk to its web interface.

So when another cheap Echolife became available I bought that and tried again - same problem. DSL flashes (for hours) and the status alternates between "initialising" and "establishing link".

However - a friend has tried them and they both work fine for him! He's also on PlusNet and connected to the next cabinet along the road;  and I assume that's using the same DSLAM type (I don't know if mine is ECI or not, but I didn't think it really mattered).

So - why would an ECI  modem work for me, but two HG612s that work OK 500 yards away don't work here? (Friend is much closer to his cabinet than I am to mine if that's significant)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ECI modem OK but two HG612's won't connect
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 07:34:53 PM »

I cant think of any reason why this would happen as long as all the config details are correct (assuming they must be since your friend can use them).

the status alternates between "initialising" and "establishing link".

Out of interest are you on a very long line.  What sort of speeds do you normally get with the ECI modem?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:52:35 PM »

I'm sure someone else posted about this on these forums a while ago. If memory serves they discovered the A and B connectors in the master socket were connected the wrong way round. When this was corrected the HG612s connected fine. It seems the incorrect wiring didn't affect the ECI.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:34:28 AM »

I would try a different RJ11 cable.  I have one that works with HG612 and not ECI. This was not a an AB swap but simply tolerances on the RJ11 connector grooves. 

LaurieR

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:27:51 PM »

Out of interest are you on a very long line.  What sort of speeds do you normally get with the ECI modem?

Fairly long - about 950m. I used to get around 28mbps download but since I've been messing around trying different modems, DLM (I guess) has dropped me to around 22 mbps. I have had issues with REIN affecting upload in the past but that cleared up a while ago. That's what prompted my interest in getting an unlocked modem in the first place.

The original HG612 was working fine until it lost sync overnight, so I don't think it can be a wiring problem. I've reset the HG612's to default settings, which I assume is right for standard FTTC.

I will try another phone lead.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:35:23 PM by LaurieR »

LaurieR

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »

I will try another phone lead.
I tried with another RJ11 lead - no difference. I left it several minutes with DSL flashing. How long is reasonable to wait? With the ECI modem DSL stops flashing about 30 seconds after the power light goes steady.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 04:19:45 PM »

I would say 1 minute is a reasonable amount of time. If it isn't in synch by then, it's doubtful it ever will ?

anything