Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Windows 10 - Technical Preview Beta  (Read 34869 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 - Technical Preview Beta
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 10:15:42 AM »

I still think it's crazy that Microsoft cannot keep any consistency in the quality of their operating systems. It literally goes, good, bad, good, bad...

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 09:31:59 AM »

Just back from holiday and downloading 32 and 64-bit ISO's as I type. Spare old PC (Dell Dimension 3100) just sitting there begging for a new OS.  8)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 10:27:04 PM »

Interesting. My old Dell has a Pentium HT 3GHz 64-bit processor which according to the spec should run fine.
BUT only the 32-bit version will install, 64-bit gives the 0x00005D error which seems to mean incompatible CPU.

Looking online this generally seems to be down to NX bit functionality which mine supposedly has and is turned on in the BIOS (I checked). Odd.
But equally there seem to be several reports online of problems with this whole range of processors with Windows 8.1, especially when upgrading from W8.  :'(

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 11:30:49 PM »

First reactions....... Windows how many?  :-\

There is absolutely NO branding or version that I can find anywhere, just that it's a Windows Technical Preview.
My own assessment is that it's maybe Windows 8.25, and that's being generous.

Given that W8 was in many ways a step backwards from 7 it's more like Windows 6.66.............  :lol:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 07:12:07 PM »

Anyone done anything with this yet? I've sort of "kicked the tyres" a bit and it seems to work. That's about it.

Slightly better UI than W8.1 but I still don't like the flat retro graphics which are difficult to see clearly. Maybe I'm just too used to Windows 7, but honestly what's wrong with that level of clarity, or at least something approaching it?

Icons are a bit weird, a strange mixture of some new "flat" ones and the more visually appealing W7 ones.  :'(

Also, the graphics can clearly support the shading and transparency of Aero, even though it's hardly used and not an option for desktop style, as I ran Process Explorer and it happily accepted a semi-transparent mode.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 08:57:39 PM »

Same here,  installed it on my laptop,  but not really done much with it. I also find W7 graphics better, don't like these borderless windows either.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 08:29:32 PM »

Had to buy a new psu for my old core i5 750 as the psu in other 3rd rig is out of spec, so will be running win 10 on a core i5 750, 16 gig ram (that ram that failed memtests in this rig so will retest it in the i5) gtx 460 1gig.

Currently the storage will be lacking tho I am using my old 5400rpm 2.5" laptop hdd a 120 gig hitachi.  The alternative was a very old ide drive which I think would be even slower and a 36gig raptor I got win10 would probably completely fill it.

Spent a ton of time cleaning the thing out tho, was dust everywhere as was my old main rig on 24/7/365 for about 2-3 years.

I am expecting to reach the same hiccup with the horrible flat look, bring back win7 styling please.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:33:35 PM by Chrysalis »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 11:11:56 PM »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 12:00:44 AM »

Well I dont want the default windows 7 theme, as I have my own theme, I want my customised win7 theme to work on win10, as it stands I turn off the transparency, thin the borders etc.  But i believe in win8 onwards MS removed the advanced control panel which allowed the customisation and of course enforced the flat themes.  Someone making a single one off glass theme doesnt solve the problem.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 07:34:02 AM »

I turn off the transparency

Snap! That's the first thing I do with any new Linux installation which has it enabled by default.
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 02:27:39 PM »

not good start for me, it hard locks up on when it says getting ready, the spinning circle just freezes.  I tried 3 times and stops in same place every time.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 06:26:54 PM »

I installed it on a lightly-used PC a few days after it was released.

I fitted a spare hard disk, as the PC already had Windows 7 on it.  I installed W10 to the new disk.  I didn't attempt any fancy boot managers, I simply decided I'd go into the bios and change the boot order of the disks if I wanted to switch between 7 or 10.

However, it didn't work as expected.

Installed OK, booted into Windows 10.  Played around with it.  Shut down.

When I next booted it, it started in Windows 7, but complaining that it needed to run CHKDSK, which it did.  The previous shutdown (either from 7 or 10) had been "proper" - there should have been no reason for chkdsk to want to run.

Anyway, I used the Windows 7, then shut it down.

When I rebooted later, I got Windows 10.  Which complained chkdsk needed to run!

Shutdown later, start it up later still.. I get Windows 7.  Which complained chkdsk needed to run.

Up until today, that is what happened.  One Boot I'd get 10, the next I'd get 7, then 10 again.

Today it booted W10, told me there was an update to install, so I did that.  It shut down, rebooted Back into Windows 10 which told me it needed to do a chkdsk, and that it might take up to an hour (hadn't seen that before).  I left it chugging away, came back to a black screen and no disk activity.  Can't ping it on network.

I power it off, restart it, and W10 starts up again.  I get logo and rotating circle, then the screen goes black.. and I have to power it off.  Tried a few times, no joy.

Have unplugged the W10 hard disk for now, and W7 is booting ok (after complaining it needed to run CHKDSK...)

Ian

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 06:32:14 PM »

Yes, I had some problems with multiple disks in the system, changing the boot order produced similar strange behaviour.

In the end I disabled the other one in the BIOS. Nonetheless W10 still finds it somehow!  ???
I might pull the cable out at some point.
(The other disk now also has W10 on it as well though and is IDE whereas the one I'm currently booting to is SATA!)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 07:23:14 PM »

One thing to bare in mind when you want two Windows installation on the same PC, if you want the option to choose which OS boots via the boot order in the BIOS (rather than menu option at boot) then you need to disconnect the other hard drive when installing the other OS.

When you install a newer or the same OS as dual boot it will alter the boot records on the other hard drive to reflect a dual boot system. If installing an older O/S it may well not recognise the newer O/S and and therefore just overwrite the boot sector. The boot sector is not always on the hard disc the O/S is installed on either, so it can get tricky.

Windows 7 will not be aware of Windows 10, so it may well be correcting errors in the MBR, but that I thought would stop 10 booting.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2014, 01:19:04 PM »

I dont know if its been explained already....but the reason behind jumping straight to 10 is because lots of software have to detect which version of windows your running before installing for obvious reasons.. as there is Windows 95, 98 and 98SE a lot of software coders set their programs to detect them as so: "IF WINDOWS =9x" meaning any version that starts with "9" then apply a ruleset which will probably be a non-install as your OS is "too old" - this has come from Win10 devs on Win forums

- its also been suggested this gives them the opportunity to distance themselves further from "8" which was a massive failure...lol

makes sense
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5