Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Windows 10 - Technical Preview Beta  (Read 34860 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Windows 10 - Technical Preview Beta
« on: October 01, 2014, 08:42:58 PM »

Anybody else installing Windows 10 Technical Preview (Beta)?

To get it you need to sign up to the Insider Program, which is very simple, sign in and click join, then move to the download page. Be aware that if you download an exe file it is a Windows Update so only run it on a system you want to convert to Windows 10, the ISO option is at the bottom of the download page.

I'm currently installing the 64bit version (why there is a 32bit I don't know!) on my laptop, actually I've now installed it, took about 18 minutes on my old laptop with an SSD.

PS. Kitz, perhaps you need to start a Windows 10 forum.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 - Technical Preview Beta
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »

Since my wifes laptop is W8.1 and up to now I have not been able to convert her to Linux (  8)  ::) ) I guess the one thing I am interested about with W10 is 'does it get rid of all that metro stuff?' I know some folks like it but I hate it with a vengeance and I'm hoping that what I have heard earlier is that W10 has an option to not install it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:32:17 PM »

PS. Kitz, perhaps you need to start a Windows 10 forum.

Done :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:49:49 PM »

Thanks Kitz.

Broadstairs,  I'm sure you'll find W10 far better than 8, my install booted to the desktop and has a proper start menu. Just bare in mind it is beta software.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:30:14 AM »

Broadstairs,  I'm sure you'll find W10 far better than 8, my install booted to the desktop and has a proper start menu. Just bare in mind it is beta software.

Thanks, I'll not let my wife loose on anything Beta so I'll wait and see...

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 06:36:02 PM »

yeah I ran that exe by accident and now when I next reboot something will probably happen but I expect I can cancel out of it.

Did also download the iso and got the key, will test it when I can rebuild my spare pc.

Windows 10 so far looks alot more promising than windows 8, but this is subject to if I can reactivate quick launch (like I did with windows 7) and I can use 7 taskbar tweaker to fix the taskbar also (can in win7 and win8).

I really dont know why microsoft push upgrade install's so much as they should know themselves thats the cause of many problems.

MY worry is I have 2 win8 upgrade licenses (Which I never used) and those will also give me 2 free win10 keys which will probably also be upgrade keys, but I bet I wont be able to clean install win10 RTM.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »

This version of Windows is due to be good but the fact they called it 10 rather than 9 suggests that may not be the case.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »

I do think microsoft's branding is a bit off.

I think calling the xbox one was stupid, and ultimately causes confusion with the actual xbox1.  (maybe thats why they did it).

Windows 10 instead of windows 9, I dont agree with their logic.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 07:57:07 PM »

9 in German is Neun which is not that far from Nein meaning No
Not a good thing to call something.
Could be MS are aware of the possibilities of a  (not)amusing foreign language pun

Bit like the Vauxhall Nova - unfortunately Nova basically means it doesn't go in Spanish.
Which was even more funny as the car was manufactured in Spain
Later models became the Corsa
This example is taught in business schools about what not to do in international product naming.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 10:46:41 PM »

Chrysalis, I also ran the exe, that's how I knew it was a Windows update. I unstalled the update,  as I didn't want to take a chance on my desktop machine.

Apparently it's called Windows 10 because calling it Windows 9 would have stopped thousands of programs from working that are still in use. Apparently programmers checking what version of Windows the program is running on decided that if the OS name starts with Windows 9, then it must be Windows 95 or 98.

See here
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:49:04 PM by Ronski »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »

This version of Windows is due to be good but the fact they called it 10 rather than 9 suggests that may not be the case.

I totally get what you mean!
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 06:52:58 AM »

Chrysalis, I also ran the exe, that's how I knew it was a Windows update. I unstalled the update,  as I didn't want to take a chance on my desktop machine.

Apparently it's called Windows 10 because calling it Windows 9 would have stopped thousands of programs from working that are still in use. Apparently programmers checking what version of Windows the program is running on decided that if the OS name starts with Windows 9, then it must be Windows 95 or 98.

See here

fair point. why didnt microsoft just say that then :)

and wow thats lazy coding from programmers.

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »

Did you know;

Anyone signing up for the beta has aggreed to this, amongst other things?

When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage. For example, when you:
install the Program, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility,

use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing,

open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use it for purposes such as improving performance, or

enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »

No different to Apple or Google then,  in other words the norm.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 09:48:13 AM »

tlemetry rubbish is the norm now I agree.

notice how features get removed from new versions its because they use phone home stuff to determine not many people use the said features so they remove.

by the way I heard shadow volume copy is back in win10 also.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5