Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Homeplug (Powerline) adapters and interference  (Read 10310 times)

iMx

Re: Homeplug (Powerline) adapters and interference
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 09:25:29 AM »

I had the same with homeplugs, was using them temporarily until CAT6 was wired into the house - in the end, I ended up using a couple of wireless bridges due to the amount of errors generated with Homeplugs

Netgear HomePlug AV were the least offensive to FTTC, ZyXEL PLA5215 AV2 600 were the absolute worst even though these are quite well regarded by the various reviewers.  Few posts on thinkbroadband relating to this, I'm sure there was another blog post somewhere that had various graphs and tests when maxing the homeplugs but I cannot find it at the moment:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4206253-home-plugs-lowering-snr-margin.html?vc=1

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4200832-homeplug-problem-since-having-infinity-installed.html?vc=1
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:40:33 AM by iMx »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 05:33:42 PM »

Strange thing even when I had the horrendous error rates it did not disconnect or re-sync and my SNRM did not fall disastrously.

My current test with the LAN cable back in and some use of the link over the Powerline and my error rates are normal! So now I dont know what to think. I will try upping the use of the Powerline connection but getting my wifes laptop on it and see if that causes any issues.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »

Well having had my TP-Link Homeplugs back in now for about a week (with very little use) I have NOT seen a return to the horrendous issues I had before. My stats are not statistically different from the low levels when I was not using them. I suspect that the problems arise when they are being used heavily as they were when the only Wi-Fi connection in my house. Now my Zyxel works well round the house for Wi-Fi I am loathed to put them back in use so will probably now unplug them and keep as an emergency backup if for any reason the Zyxel gives problems.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: 1 [2]