Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To leave or not, router connected on activation day? UPDATE AFTER SWITCH  (Read 8302 times)

gsf650sa

Due to be connected with BT Boadband on Thursday, -ADSL 21CN-.  Currently connected on BT, ADSL 21CN via a reseller routed via Entanet, ISP switched to BT, as was on o2W/sale who were packing up in Feb. Sync 5504 atten 51 sn3 thruput av 4.

My question is, I will be using my own DGN2200 router (as HH4 syncs at @ 700 less), so, shall I just leave router on and change the ISP login to BT's the night before, ready for switch from Entanets servers to BT's, or just leave on and change ISP login when Internet light goes red on changeover, or switch off and wait for changeover?  I assume there will be no physical move as its already on BT, just software switch, and assume sync will be much the same.

The line is quite stable and after 15 days from connection in January the DLM reduced target SN to 3 and been there ever since.  Av DSL uptime about 20 days.

cheers all.

FWIW, having second thoughts at this 11th hour about BT.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:52:40 PM by gsf650sa »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: To leave or not, router connected on activation day?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:17:59 AM »

I dont think it will make that much difference if you are already on a BTw product because as you say it will simply be a software config change at the bRAS.

Whether you change the login the night before or wait until the day you may still cause a resync anyhow.  If it was me, I'd just wait until the internet light goes red, then change the settings.

Good luck :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gsf650sa

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:15:48 AM »

Whether you change the login the night before or wait until the day you may still cause a resync anyhow.  If it was me, I'd just wait until the internet light goes red, then change the settings.
Good luck :)

Think I will do that, do not know if switch from BTw to BTr would trigger a 10day training or not. Did switch logins back and forth, to see what would happen, no resyncs, so fingers crossed, don't fancy ringing BT if all goes wrong.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 11:51:50 AM »

Supposedly if you move from a BTw based ISP to another BTw based ISP on adsl/adsl2+ it doesnt automatically trigger a DLM retrain.

All that happens is details are changed at the bRAS to add your new ISP realm details.   In some instances they will keep your old ISP realm details there for a few weeks and some users have found that for a few days theres an overlap whereby they are able to log into either ISP.  How fast you lose internet access to your old ISP depends on how quick they are taking you off their systems.  BT do notify the losing ISP that youve gone elsewhere the same day, but some are slower than others to act on it.

If by the afternoon you havent lost internet you can try switching logins yourself...  in fact since youve said that you can change the PPP details in your router without forcing a resync, you could even try in the morning..  as the automated scripts tend to start to run at about 2/3am, although they can take a while to update so that doesnt mean it will change dead on 3am.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 12:14:38 PM »

In my recent transition from Demon to Zen, there appeared to be an overlap period.

I awoke on changeover day to find an email from the new ISP, which had been in the small hours,  to say the order had been 'fulfilled'.   At that point, interestingly,  three or four hours after the 'fulfilment' notification, the old connection was still alive and well.

As an experiment I tried to reset and reconnect to the old ISP again, which failed.   But the new configuration, for new ISP, then worked immediately.

gsf650sa

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 03:07:22 PM »

Supposedly if you move from a BTw based ISP to another BTw based ISP on adsl/adsl2+ it doesnt automatically trigger a DLM retrain.

It is actually from BTw ISP to BTr, BT proper so guess same appllies on retrain, only really moving for BTSPORT my son wants, saves a tenner pm as well.  14th day cancel period is up tomorrow and the two calls I have had to make to BT re this order, have not been promising.  getting the jitters.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »

It is actually from BTw ISP to BTr

BTr is just another BT-based ISP, they don't get any diferent treatment compared to other ISPs.
  Eric

gsf650sa

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 05:39:01 PM »

BTr is just another BT-based ISP...

Understand, BTOR tell BTr line is ready (in this case no physical move) BTr then enable username.

gsf650sa

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 07:52:09 PM »

Well to update, switchover at 8.10am yesterday, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttttt, the DSL did disconnect, and it appears to be provisioned on ADSLMAX according to BT comm. forum advice, that BTW provisoion on ADSLMAX for estimates less than 8 meg.

Stats: d/s 4800 (from av. 5500-5900) u/s 448 (down from 884). atten: down 51, from 53.

The main reason for changing ISP was my son nagged for BT sport, which does not even load now as thruput is 325kbps and it needs 400kps [had 2 weeks form order when sport worked on old ISP, t/p 495kps] (and wife had £90pm pay cut {recession})., so the BB for £10 less pm and BTsport seemed a good idea.

Anyways the Mods have picked this up on BTcomm. forum, so will see what happens. Spent last hour trawling thru BT t&C's, nowt about -"if estimate less than 8Meg" it will be ADSLMAX

Have the sinking feeling that this will will cost money, with a MAC request if not re-provisioned. BT (S/INDIA) say its on ADSL2+, but it cannot be.

One odd thing how come when Aquiss moved me from o2W to BTW, BTW did not put me on ADSLMAX then?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: To leave or not, router connected on activation day? UPDATE AFTER SWITCH
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »

Good question.  Its most likely to be a rule of BTretail rather than BTWholesale. 
The theory is that opening up above the higher tones which cant be used helps protect against further interference.

Lines circa 45dB + sometimes do better on adsl2 rather than adsl2+.   This gives best of both worlds - ie allows the better error correction overheads than maxdsl.. whilst still not opening the higher frequencies.   Whether or not BTr will do it or not is another matter.
-----

gsf650sa

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 10:42:46 AM »

Good question.  Its most likely to be a rule of BTretail rather than BTWholesale. 
.....allows the better error correction overheads than maxdsl.. whilst still not opening the higher frequencies.   Whether or not BTr will do it or not is another matter.

Understand, feel like Iv'e gone back 7 years specially on upload, pics take ages to upload, if that could be uncapped it would'nt be so bad, just no Sport for son. Will see what comes of this, otherwise may have to jump ship and go LLU again, TESCO maybe! To go back to a reseller wil cost about £24pm.  Have spoke to tech twice now and 2nd line insist its 21CN 2+ as before, just can't get them grasp the upload sync.  Really need UK based phone tech support.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:15:11 AM by gsf650sa »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 12:02:19 PM »

:'(
The upstream fixed at 448kbps would imply -although not 100% confirm - that you've been provisioned as adsl1 rather than adsl2/2+.

Can you get the modulation from your router stats, that should confirm.
-----

gsf650sa

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 10:34:15 AM »

:'(
Can you get the modulation from your router stats, that should confirm.
Not from the Netgear, when the 10 days is up on 5 Oct or if I have another sync, I will plug in my ST585 as this does display.  S/shots from earlier this year with 585 show 992.5 Annex A.  Had resync on Friday night at 4576 down from 4800, lower to be expected in evening.   

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 02:05:17 PM »

This isnt looking too good :(  It looks like perhaps the DLM may be intervening and restricting your speeds.   Have you tried monitoring your SNRm with dslstats (you will need to put the netgear in debug mode & should also work with the ST585).
-----

gsf650sa

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »

This isnt looking too good :(  It looks like perhaps the DLM may be intervening and restricting your speeds.   Have you tried monitoring your SNRm with dslstats (you will need to put the netgear in debug mode & should also work with the ST585).
Pulled this off from - stats- tab:
DSLAM/MSAN type:           IFTN:0x71c8 / v0x71c8
Modem/router firmware:     AnnexA version - A2pD035d.d23e
DSL mode:                  G
Uptime:                    
Resyncs:                   0 (since 28 Sep 2014 15:46:48)

Downstream   Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):     51.0      31.5
Signal attenuation (dB):   Not monitored      
Connection speed (kbps):   4576      448
SNR margin (dB):           6.0      15.0
Power (dBm):               19.1      12.8
Interleave depth:          1      1
INP:                       0      0

RSCorr/RS (%):             N/A      N/A
RSUnCorr/RS (%):           N/A      N/A
ES/hour:                   73.1      0

and this from -connection stats - tab within Telenet tab:

adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 8000
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 828 Kbps, Downstream rate = 4608 Kbps
Channel:        FAST, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 4576 Kbps

Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   G.DMT
TPS-TC:                 ATM Mode
Trellis:                ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime

at bottom off dslstats window, says interleaving off.  TBH all this is a bit beyond my knowhow.

Pages: [1] 2

anything