Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router choice  (Read 3090 times)

bigbossa

Router choice
« on: September 14, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »

Hi All
Currently using a Netgear DG834GT with DGTeam firmware (after my TPLink died)
I’m 3.69km from the exchange on TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+ .
 was on approx 3000 kbps download speed which has now increased to approx 3360 kbps with tweaking the SNR
My question is would I be better off with something like a Billion Electric BiPAC 7800N or just stick with the Netgear ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Router choice
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 03:23:37 PM »

Hi

I was hoping one of the guys with a 7800N would answer first, as I dont have one so possibly not the best person to answer...

.. but...... on the whole I think you will find that the Billions are favoured by most people of these forums who have them.   They contain BCM chipsets and are remarkably stable.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

bigbossa

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »

Hi kit thanks for your reply. So do you think there's a possibility of increasing my speed further with a Billion?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 10:51:32 AM »

It's a guess really. As Kitz says, the 7800N has excellent performance and a well respected chipset, but every connection is different, so you can't be certain until you try it.

Another good option would be the Billion 8800NL which has an even newer Broadcom chipset, and performs very well. It would also be future proof to an extent because it's also VDSL2 capable.

[Typo corrected]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:28:54 PM by roseway »
  Eric

bigbossa

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:56:27 AM »

Hey roseway thanks for your reply, will have to look into that...don't know what VDSL2 is :-[ bearing where I am (in the sticks) probably be ages  before the exchange inproves

oddlegs

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »

I'm on a line a bit shorter than yours at around 3.4 km.
I bought a Billion 7800N about 30 months ago and it's transformed my BB.
My home is located on the top of a hill in the edge of the Pennines at around 900 ft ASL and I used to suffer from drops every night when the noise margin fell by about 6 dB.
By using the Billion to force a slightly higher NM and switching on the PHRY or whatever it's called I can now remain connected for weeks at a time. I recently fitted a MK2 faceplate and I now connect at around 8400 kb/s with downloads of around 7000 kb/s.
At one time there seemed to be a problem with wireless failure after about 2 years due to the use of hot melt glue to secure the wireless card connections but my unit seems to have a modified epoxy type gloop. It won't melt with a soldering iron anyway !

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »

Might be worth posting your attenuation too? It's something we more readily relate to in terms of mental speed calculations :P

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »

don't know what VDSL2 is :-[ bearing where I am (in the sticks) probably be ages  before the exchange inproves

VDSL2 means FTTC (fibre to the cabinet), otherwise known as superfast broadband. You might like to try entering your postcode here: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ to see if any fibre upgrade is planned.
  Eric

bigbossa

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »

Heres a screenshot of the router stats . Oh seems the speed has gone down!

seems I'm in an "enabled area" but the cabinet is not ready  :'( .probably not for a long time I expect

anything