Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Firewall status with HG612 used as modem and router  (Read 2551 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Firewall status with HG612 used as modem and router
« on: September 08, 2014, 06:53:39 PM »

I used to use an HG612 on adsl and can't remember if i did a shields-up port scan.  If I did I would have expected all ports in stealth.  A week a ago I tried with vdsl.  The HG612 works fine as full modem router giving normal speed tests.  However the Shields-up scan worried me.  With both the latest and previous "wolf" firmware only a few ports are in stealth and most in closed but with port 53 DNS?? open.  I had the same even with changes to the firewall settings.  I expect I would get the same on adsl but don't know.

Is or has anyone else tried a shields-up scan on an HG612 working as a modem/router i.e with ppoe login?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:11:18 PM by les-70 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Firewall status with HG612 used as modem and router
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 04:29:59 AM »

I can't remember for certain because it's so long ago now, but I'm sure I did a port scan when I first got fttc as it's usually one of the first things I do when I put a new router on.  I won't have checked it since though.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 03:39:50 PM »

I was hoping that someone was using the HG612 as a combined modem router on adsl and would be able to report on a shields up port scan. 

i.e.   https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2  then proceed and test on all service ports.

I doubt many use it that way on vdsl but if so that would be better.   I would not be prepared to use it as a combined modem router with the results I gave above and wonder if my results are odd in some way. I have not problems when using it in the normal bridge mode with a router as then the firewall is on the separate router.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »

I did use an HG612 as a modem/router on ADSL2+ some time ago. I would probably have done a Shields Up test, and taken a note if there were any oddities, but I really can't remember now.
  Eric