Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 297418 times)

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 09:19:24 PM »

BT threw fits with me when I started overriding their MTU setting on my ADSL connection. I had no choice, their equipment was sending stupidly huge MTU values to my equipment and screwing up my net connection. Forcing the 1492 value at my end made my connection massively more stable, as well as a bit faster. BT didn't want to know that their equipment was misconfigured.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 12:40:40 PM »

Hopefully some progress today...

Not happy with the routers VDSL stability disconnecting every 5-10 minutes unless I disabled UPBO I decided to flash firmware version .2049 firmware, down from .2072.

BINGO!! so far after an 1.5 hours of use, no more random disconnects with the default modem settings.

I notice the DSL firmware in this version is 1.0.1.4 compared to 1.0.1.7 so I suspect this is the issue and have contacted ASUS support about possibly getting the latest router software with the older DSL firmware as a beta test.

Fingers crossed.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 04:25:28 PM »

Thats excellent news - glad that you line is stable again and hope it stays that way :)

Please keep us updated :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roswellgrey

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »

....I take it that in its current state BT would never pass the DSL-AC68U as an approved VDSL router as per SIN 498.   I think we can be pretty damn certain that ASUS hasn't sent one to them for testing and approval....

Unsurprisingly (as it's the AC68U's little brother), I am 99.9% sure that the DSL-N66U has the Enable/Disable UPBO setting as well. (only 99.9% sure as it's from memory as I had to return it,  unfortunately )
Billion 8800NL

andy66

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 06:13:47 PM »

I can confirm that the DSL-N66U has the Enable/Disable UPBO setting, with options {Auto,Enable,Disable}.
It has the same pop-up help description as quoted earlier.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »

Thanks for the confirmation ... and welcome to both of you :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 11:15:24 PM »

Sadly after 4 hrs of solid connection the instability returned. I'm back to using the BT HH5 for now having lost faith in the Asus device completely now. Support just go round in circles quoting the same tweaks that don't work.

The Asus is going back to PC World as being unfit for purpose, complete with numerous printouts from other users experiencing the same issue.

???

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 11:43:54 PM »

Its not looking to good right now for the Asus modem routers. In view that both models share some similarity then it would appear that ASUS need to pull their finger out and correct the reported issues if they want this router to continue to sell.
As with the DSL-N66U, Ive now added some further comments.   

Their (cable)  routers such as the RT-N66U seem to get such favourable reviews, but it would appear very badly let down on the DSL side.
Hopefully issues can be resolved with new firmware updates.

---
atm the only ones in the running seem to be Billion & ZyXel winning hands down... with TPlink bringing up the rear.   I would have loved to have got my mitts on a TG589vn to test one of those.

TPLink's is stable and good value for its price.. but in all honesty they too could have also had a big flop on their hands.  Because I beta tested this unit I was able to give them a lot of feedback which to TPlinks credit they listened to and resolved.  They delayed shipping until I'd confirmed the new f/w was stable.   But if it had gone on sale in its original state then it too would have been bad on a heck of a lot of lines.  If it struggled to maintain my 80/20 line (and caused the DLM to kick in for me), then it wouldnt have been a pretty picture in the wild.  It is stable now, but unfortunately  the Lantiq chipset doesnt quite seem to be able to match the BCM performance :/  In all fairness they do however appear to match performance of the BToR ECI modems..  and they do seem to be taking my comments very seriously about the lack of linestats. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:56:45 PM by kitz »
-----

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2014, 01:33:06 PM »

I opted to persevere with the Asus whilst they analysed the data logs I sent them whilst using a HG612 Openreach modem to handle the DSL side of things.

Having a day to myself this weekend I removed the HG612 and reset the Asus and configured as VDSL modem choosing BT Infinity 2 in the set up process. Whilst in the DSL Modem 'tweak' screen I noticed that the last option G.998.4 Improved Noise Protection (G.INP) was by default set to enabled. Now I maybe wrong but isn't this just for Sky curently in the UK. Anyway, I disabled this and so far its like having a different modem. Connection as been solid for an hour and browsing seems snappier.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:40:26 PM by simoncraddock »

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 07:23:48 AM »

Finally some good news...

Firmware v3.0.0.4.376_693 is stable albeit a downgrade. Asus support think the latest dsl driver is the issue so there will most likely be a new firmware any day soon.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 11:23:43 AM »

:)
-----

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 09:18:06 PM »

A further update...

ASUS support asked me to re-flash the most recent firmware (.2072) today and set my DSL Settings as in the attached image.
Note 'bitswap' is disabled.

I've been connected now for almost 8hrs without a single hiccup.

I suspect there's a bug in the latest firmware as enabling bitswap destabilises the connection whereas in the earlier .693 firmware enabling 'bitswap' had no effect.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 05:49:27 PM »

I'm tempted to get one of these but am uncertain about the stability, especially with an ECI DSLAM. The only DSL device to keep my connection fastpath has been the ECI /r modem. Anyway, keep us updated :).

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »

Since we discovered bitswap was broken in the last few firmware releases I've been connected almost 34hrs solid.  I'm actually synch'ing 72/22 now whereas with the openreach modem would only synch at 62/19. I'm on the same cabinet type has yourself.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:00:56 PM by simoncraddock »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »

Since we discovered bitswap was broken in the last few firmware releases I've been connected almost 34hrs solid.  I'm actually synch'ing 72/22 now whereas with the openreach modem would only synch at 62/19. I'm on the same cabinet type has yourself.

Oh, very nice! I might order one of these tomorrow then for Saturday delivery. Thanks for the update.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35