Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: My ZyXel VMG8324-B10A - my first impressions  (Read 33265 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: My ZyXel VMG8324-B10A - my first impressions
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 10:53:21 PM »

I use MSE.  I gave up on Avast ages ago..  but I was extremely peed off when it falsely classed this site as containing malware -link  :mad: :mad:

hmmm  though..  I had problems with the first configs not saving... then it seemed to be ok after that.   I wonder if theres some weird caching going on.. because I also saw a huawei logo come up on one of the webpages rather than zyxel..  which it can only have got from me previously using the hg612 in the same browser.   The only issue I tend to see these days is that the login button graphic can take a few seconds to appear.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 10:56:29 PM »

I would agree that this issue is unlikely to be Firefox as I dont seem to have any of the issues mentioned here using Firefox, the difference being I run Linux.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 04:46:01 AM »

regarding slow gui updates and firefox something interesting happened.

So previously the hg612 interface was laggy, kept stalling when loading.
Also the asuswrt gui when using https also laggy (not http).
A newer asuswrt-merlin firmware did speed up https significantly but still was laggy a bit.

Then I upgraded firefox from esrv24 to esrv31 and now the hg612 lag is gone as well as asuswrt https, so I think was a bug in firefox affecting things, so anyone using firefox esrv24 try v31.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 11:04:13 AM »

I am also using the asuswrt-merlin software and I would more attribute the change to the regular re-writing of the software.
(Asus & Merlin are 'fixing' the firmware on a regular basis from my reading of the changes on smallnetbuilder.com. I have upgraded 3 times already)

Additionally, I am using the latest version of Firefox as I upgrade as soon as the newest version is notified.

I did think about the caching idea, as per kitz, but thought surely something so basic could not be the case as it would impact lots of sites/webpages and would have been flagged up by now.
Maybe I am wrong.

Kitz I appreciate your stance but Avast is much better and I know they did have a problem with being over-vigorous with their classifications as did many AV companies, Mcafee included.
If this problem is NOT Avast but Firefox I will change back.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 11:26:21 AM »

Kitz - Microsoft MSE are very poor overall. Not very security at all. I don't trust Microsoft security on their own anti virus/malware and firewall.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »

in my case the lag was definitely fixed in esrv31.

I even tested by running v24 again and it was immediatly back, and this I seen on hg612 webpage as well.

Since I am on esr I jumped 7 versions from 24 to 31, so I dont know which intermediate version fixed it.

Although the asuswrt code is unstable and regurly updated I do not flash my router everytime is an update, I am currently now using the fork that someone has made who is sticking to s stable code base.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 01:45:54 PM »

Kitz - Microsoft MSE are very poor overall. Not very security at all. I don't trust Microsoft security on their own anti virus/malware and firewall.

Personally Agree, do a quick google and you will see this is not at odds with many reviewers.

i.e. http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/379954/microsoft-security-essentials [random google search: happens to mention Avast which is not by any planning on my part]

FYI: Comodo Firewall / Antivirus etc gets good press and is very configurable the last i used it.
In fact I am investigating it now as it appears to have been improved from my last use.
[I stopped using it because it was too long-winded to configure as I needed and was more intrusive than Avast was at the time.]

I am sure in a Pure MicroSoft world MSE works fine for most people.

Generally most people who do not run pure 'MicroSoft' PC's, as in not running IE as their browser, find MSE is not as good as other offering supporting Chrome/Firefox etc

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 10:44:15 AM »

I had a resync this morning at 8:30, and I've now noticed I can't access my server. I know my server is OK, and the connection is OK as MyDSLWebStats is still updating. Very strange, nothing I can do until I get home tonight
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 11:35:47 AM »

I hope its not the Zyxel having forgotten some form of port forwarding upon a re-sync.  :(
I wait to see what happens when you get home..  because if that is the case then it needs reporting to them.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 02:00:13 PM »

I had a resync this morning at 8:30, and I've now noticed I can't access my server.

No dial-up line available as backup?  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dmcdonnell

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »

I hope its not the Zyxel having forgotten some form of port forwarding upon a re-sync.  :(

Exactly my thought. Don't see it reported on Irish boards but I will test it when I get home.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »

No dial-up line available as backup?  :-X

LOL, my only back up was in my pocket. .........

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »

I can confirm it was the router. First I tried editing the port forwarding settings, which made no difference, I then disabled them and re-enabled (clicked the light bulb) and this did the trick - I had to do it for each rule, good job I don't have loads.

Kitz, I presume you'll be able to report this to your contacts at ZyXel please?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »

Kitz, I presume you'll be able to report this to your contacts at ZyXel please?

I dont have any contacts at ZyXel..  I bought the router from broadbandbuyer as any normal person would.  When I realised there was something amiss with the first f/w release I contacted them.   All my issues were raised in the one ticket which is now closed.   I did find them to be quite pro-active and took onboard any issues that I raised, and released some new f/w quite soon after... ie days rather than months.

You can contact them here
http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/support/contact_support.shtml

First time I contacted them I phoned..  but they then created a ticket for me so I could either email or phone them.  They tend to email you when the f/w is ready.

-----

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »

Thanks Kitz, I'll send them an email and see what they have to say.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6