Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 129

Author Topic: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring  (Read 571309 times)

displaced

• Reg Member
Re: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring
« Reply #1485 on: October 25, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »

Hi Tony!

I've got a quick question regarding support for uploading data to MyDSLWebStats from DSLstats running on FreeBSD.

I've managed to get DSLstats running in FreeBSD's Linux ABI-compatibility mode.  I'm hoping to get a 'portfile' submitted to the FreeBSD maintainers so any user may install DSLstats via a simple pkg install dslstats command.

I understand that DSLstats talks to MDWS via the closed-source upload15.xxx binary (where .xxx is the platform/bitness identifier).  Now, in my testing, I've got the 32-bit Linux upload15 binary running in FreeBSD.  The only changes were to 'tag' it as a Linux binary (via BSD's tagelf command, and renaming it to upload15.b32.

If I were to succeed in building a portfile for DSLstats, would you be willing to also allow me to submit a portfile for the uploader?  This would then allow BSD users of dslstats to install the uploader module via, perhaps, pkg install dslstat-mydslwebstats

I'd keep the dslstats and dslstats-mydslwebstats packages separate as they are licensed differently -- GPLv2 for the former, and whatever you'd like for the latter.  BSD being BSD, there's no issue at all with you wishing to keep the uploader closed-source.  However, I would not submit the port for distribution without your permission, nor would I take credit as the author!  I would be shown as the port maintainer and would be responsible for updating the port with any upstream updates from yourself or DSLstats.

Let me know what you think!

(apologies for contacting via the forum if inappropriate -- I couldn't find a contact email address!)

Cheers,
Chris
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #1486 on: October 25, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »

This is down to me, Chris, and I'm quite happy for you proceed as you suggest. I haven't really thought about a licence for the upload program, and I have no wish to wrap it up in lots of legalese. So I'll just say that it's closed source and the binary is free to copy for use with DSLstats.
  Eric

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #1487 on: October 25, 2016, 02:01:42 PM »

Ah, thanks Tony -- I'd got the wrong end of the stick and imagined that the MyDSLWebStats author had supplied the binary :)

I'll plough on and see how far I get!

Chris

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #1488 on: October 25, 2016, 03:20:07 PM »

That was Eric

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #1489 on: October 25, 2016, 05:22:49 PM »

*facepalm*

I'll get me coat...

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #1490 on: October 26, 2016, 08:27:30 AM »

Hi Tony!
I've got a quick question regarding support for uploading data to MyDSLWebStats from DSLstats running on FreeBSD.
I believe Eric has answered your question and I'm okay with that.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #1491 on: October 26, 2016, 08:28:17 AM »

Could you please add the Billion 8900AX-1600 to the "your upload modem" list. Or maybe drop the "2400" from the 8900AX-2400 as they are very similar and only one other user seems to have either at the moment.
I've added it.
Tony
My Books!

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #1492 on: October 30, 2016, 01:53:05 AM »

MDWS is reporting that my connection is down when it clearly isn't, not sure why, scrub that it's working now again,
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:05:50 AM by tommy45 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #1493 on: October 30, 2016, 03:52:57 AM »

clock change. It actually deals with it very well, filling in snrm graph so it doesn't look empty/offline. The DLM traffic lights show me at 95%, but 1 day a year I can live with that.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #1494 on: October 30, 2016, 07:05:35 AM »

I'm afraid DSLstats doesn't deal well with the clock changes, so if you use that you probably need to shut it down and restart it.
  Eric

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #1495 on: October 30, 2016, 02:03:20 PM »

Think MDWS hasn't handled the clock change correctly - initially I thought it was DSLStats has per roseway but having relaunched, and restarted my Pi I am now being reported as offline although I can see that stats are being uploaded correctly.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #1496 on: October 30, 2016, 03:53:54 PM »

That's also the fault of your Pi. You've uploaded to say 2pm, restarted the Pi, which fixed it's clock to show as 1pm. You're now going to be uploading 13.01 again, and MDWS is wondering where 14:01 went, as that was supposed to be your next upload.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #1497 on: October 30, 2016, 04:02:03 PM »

The clock on my Pi will change at 2am, exactly the same as when the clock on my computer will.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #1498 on: October 30, 2016, 04:05:21 PM »

@j0hn
Almost..... Putting the clock back generated an hours worth of duplicate uploads and the graphs started again an hour later so it no longer shows as down...

DUPLICATE UPLOAD NOTIFICATIONS
Notification of Duplicates mail is turned off at the moment. It will be turned on again tomorrow (Monday 31st) morning at 12:00 so anyone (mostly Pi users using DSLstats where the time rarely changes when it should and around 30 are like that last time I looked) who has not put their clock right by then will get 60 Duplicate upload mails when they do.
You will also show as offline on MDWS during this time..  You need to close down and restart DSLstats (if you are using it) to get the time correct.

There is a note in the sent email about it. If you do not want the mails then turn off uploading until an hour has passed.

Also note that these users will show as being overseas on MDWS due to being in the wrong Time Zone and various bits of data will no longer display such as the Traffic Lights where available...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:11:44 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #1499 on: October 30, 2016, 04:18:38 PM »

The clock on my Pi will change at 2am, exactly the same as when the clock on my computer will.

The clock on my Pi changed but DSLstats didn't. Had to stop and restart it as advised by Eric.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 129

anything