Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 129

Author Topic: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring  (Read 567318 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »

I'll announce here when the Password options are available, I need to check them one last time. So please don't post saying you can't find them  ;)

So here is the announcement.

LOST/FORGOTTEN PASSWORD
The Logon page now has an extra line under the Log On button:

Forgotten your password? Select HERE

Doing so takes you to another page where you can enter your Registered e-mail address. Doing so and providing it is Registered will send you an e-mail with a Reset link in it, otherwise you'll see an error. There is of course (as it says in the e-mail) nothing to stop anyone putting in/ guessing your e-mail who knows it and you'll get a mail that you can ignore if you didn't ask for it as nothing will happen - this is in common with many other reset mails on sites. There are some other questions one could ask to get round this but I hesitate to do so.

NB the earlier problems with e-mail have now been resolved after a lot of agro with Symantec, Message Labs and Microsoft.

If you select the mail link, and as it warns you several times in the mail, your password will be reset IMMEDIATELY to a random one chosen by the system and meeting the criteria. This is displayed to you ONSCREEN on the next page you see (some people get very upset if they get passwords by e-mail) so you need to write it down or copy it so you can then use the Log On page (via the link you'll see) to type or paste it in and actually Log On.

Change Password
Of course, you might want to be able to remember it so if you then go to the Options menu at the bottom of the MyDSLWebstats window, there is now a Change Password option. You'll need your (easily) memorable phrase I'm afraid (for reasons I will not explain at length) and the new password twice which has the same criteria as the original Registration entry.

Once successfully changed that's it (as long as you remember what you changed it to). No need to Log Out or do anything else. You'll probably want to tell or confirm the change to your Password Manager if you use one.

I'll add an option to change your e-mail later.

OHF ERRORS
While I am here (as I now definitely need to rebuild this machine so will be out of action for a while) someone mentioned a lack of upstream OHF/CRC errors. Upstream CRC errors are in fact already reported using the uploaded upstream OHF Error values as the upload doesn't have that data for CRCs (at least from HG612 Modem Stats). However, I checked and no values have ever been uploaded or recorded in the database, they are all zero. Hence why there are no values seen. Why I don't currently know. Edit Wrong  Date being imported  :-[ now corrected but there isn't very much of it anyway

Also I notice that some of you are physically logging out - doing so will make you Log On again but doing so does NOT also reinstate the need for the much-loved captcha etc (as long as your Cookies are not being destroyed).

And I do take notice of comments and useful suggestions but many are not always practical or advisable for reasons I may not choose to explain.

G.DMT noted, I'll have a look - hadn't occurred to me I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:51:44 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

G.DMT

« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »

8)
 I was editing my post and I see that they crossed in flight there...

TLDR: Suggestion for which characters could be considered for inclusion

#-._[]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »

Are/were you a teacher or police officer or other official in public life :graduate: :police: ? Brought to my attention sounds very official and reminds me of the day when .....  :-X  :-[ :'(

No..  but Im well used to being in a tech environment where willy waving and bragging seems to be the norm.   I was however brought up with manners and with the ethos that you treat others with respect.  You'll find quite a few members here dont go for the one one-upmanship, sniping & smart ass replies that is so apparent on some other tech forums.. and for that reason alone avoid TBB - hence my earlier comment.  We are actually pretty laid back..  but I can bite.   

Sorry if my style of posting doesnt meet with your standards.  But at least I can take on-board suggestions by others.... so I'll try to refrain from using anything 'brought to my attention'  to you again.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »

Are/were you a teacher or police officer or other official in public life :graduate: :police: ? Brought to my attention sounds very official and reminds me of the day when .....  :-X  :-[ :'(

No..  but Im well used to being in a tech environment where willy waving and bragging seems to be the norm.   I was however brought up with manners and with the ethos that you treat others with respect.  You'll find quite a few members here dont go for the one one-upmanship, sniping & smart ass replies that is so apparent on some other tech forums.. and for that reason alone avoid TBB - hence my earlier comment.  We are actually pretty laid back..  but I can bite.   

Sorry if my style of posting doesnt meet with your standards.  But at least I can take on-board suggestions by others.... so I'll try to refrain from using anything 'brought to my attention'  to you again.

I don't know what to say to that totally unwarranted response, I did try but deleted it and will leave it at this in case it gets misinterpreted again. It was a joke after all.....
Tony
My Books!

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »

8)
 I was editing my post and I see that they crossed in flight there...

TLDR: Suggestion for which characters could be considered for inclusion

#-._[]

Thanks. Can't have underscore or the [] as they are already used as delimiters in parsing various things. - (hyphen) is already specifically allowed. The other two are probably okay for new users but I'd have to check.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:04:16 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2014, 09:27:57 PM »

Notice a large spike of FEC/min errors in the range of 900000 at 19:21 and also noticed on MDWS quite a few users also on interleaved had the FEC/min spike at around this time  :o

TimeBandit

« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »

My MyDSLWebStats login problems are all now resolved (many thanks, Tony), and I'm now able to view the statistics on-line again. ;D

Now I just need to do battle with BT, who have apparently reported the fault to Zen as a chargeable one   :angry:

Since it was their side of the master socket, in a cable joint that their original line installer had made (against my advice, I might add - he double punched into a shallow patch panel IDC instead of using crimps) I don't believe they have any grounds for this.
Not only that, but if it hadn't been on their side of the master socket (which I'd been warned off tampering with) I'd have probably found and fixed it myself. 
It's not as if I don't know how punch-down connections work (or don't, as in this instance).  I've built enough networks, some, ironically, for BT themselves (which is why I knew that IDC was too shallow to safely take two wires).
The problem was simply that the second wire had come loose, as the IDC wasn't deep enough to hold onto it properly.  It was something or a miracle that it was working at all, never mind that it had held on for over 6 years.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2014, 09:23:25 AM »

Thanks to the following for donations to go towards keeping the MyDSLWebStats server running, they are much appreciated  :drink:

:clap: Aardvark
:clap: burakkucat
:clap: Chrysalis
 :-X Anon by request

Currently with 71 Registered Users and 41 Uploaders.

Tony
My Books!

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2014, 11:55:51 PM »

We had two very brief power cuts at work today, the modem and network gear are all on a UPS as is my PC, so you can see the effect in the stats. The SNR went up to 13, and the maximum attainable went from 39Mbps to 52Mbps. The power outage was at 14:04 and lasted two minutes, the second power cut lasted less than a minute and the power came on just before the stats were harvested at 15:26. Also the FEC errors shot up after the power cut. User name Ronskiwork

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2014, 12:12:28 AM »

Hello Ronski

Have to say I am still a little concerned with your constant high FEC/errors in the work place yet it does not seem to impact the DLM at all, to me it looks like you have ethernet powerline adapters on this line.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2014, 03:31:13 AM »

The DLM doesnt count FEC's.  They just prove that interleaving and error correction is working as it should.

A very busy connection with many users and lots of data flowing through (such as a workplace/business) will tend to show lots of FECs.   The more data that goes through the connection, then the higher the FEC count will likely be - as long as its in proportion to the total traffic then its fine.   Err Secs are the ones to watch for and from a quick glance, they seem fine :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2014, 06:22:06 AM »

There isn't that much data, we use around 50 to 60 GB a month. My thoughts are that the telephone cables come into the building where the 3 phase power does, and this causes interference. Many years ago I was also told the lines were in poor condition. Plus they also pass various other businesses, and we have a factory behind us. I often see the FEC errors step up or down and then stay that way for a long time, normally this occurs on a resync. I do have the highest FEC errors on MDWS though.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2014, 08:18:27 AM »

The DLM doesnt count FEC's.  They just prove that interleaving and error correction is working as it should.

A very busy connection with many users and lots of data flowing through (such as a workplace/business) will tend to show lots of FECs.   The more data that goes through the connection, then the higher the FEC count will likely be - as long as its in proportion to the total traffic then its fine.   Err Secs are the ones to watch for and from a quick glance, they seem fine :)

Interestingly, and this is listed on Kitz elsewhere some time back by roseway, Reason 3 for a resync is:

High Upstream FEC (actually TooManyUsFEC)

It's used in MDWS as the reason when/if that error occurs. Is there some later data that would negate that or offer a different reason? Or, maybe it only occurs on ADSL lines?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:28:37 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2014, 08:20:51 AM »

I expect the higher FEC's that whenthe powercut happened, the modem bitswapped into new available tones thinking this is cool, then those tones were lost again and as a result there was more errors to fix.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2014, 09:39:34 AM »

I see requirement R.VDSL2.17 in SIN 498 indicates that FEC seconds are reported by the modem for DLM.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 129