Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trying to connect to PlusNet Fibre 80/20 via Zyxel VMG8324 (Solved)  (Read 9769 times)

AArdvark

• Kitizen

Kitz,

I have followed the 'Kitz guide' to setup the Zyxel modem on vdsl but I cannot get a connection. It does work via adsl.

It does work if I use the OR Huawei HG612 modem, with the same username/password, via an Asus RT-AC56U router.

I seem to remember seeing you are also on PlusNet.

Are there any particular settings that are needed to make it work with PlusNet ?
(Yes... I have correctly typed the username/password, Many Times via Chrome & Firefox !!!  ;D ;D)

I have tried the settings in the guide + read through the BT SIN 498 Issue 5.1 September 2013' applying every feature BT states is required of any 'CP provided modems that must be met for connection to Openreach User Network Interface (UNI)'.

(BTW: the BT SIN is an interesting read for anyone outside the industry, or is that 'Just Me'!!!!!. ;D ;D)

I have now run out of ideas.

Any assistance appreciated.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:21:48 PM by AArdvark »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Trying to connect to PlusNet Fibre 80/20 via Zyxel VMG8324 (Solved)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:21:17 PM »

To reply to my own message (Sorry!!!)

Problem solved. ;D

Once again followed the guide at http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_vdsl_setup.htm , after reseting the Zyxel modem.
The menu options changed so something must have been screwed up.  ???
Additionally, disabled PhyR Ds & PhyR Us & SRA (On by default) it is now working  ;D ;D ;D

I am getting 9 Mbps more 'Attainable Net Data Rate' than the Openreach HG612 Modem.

Very happy 'bunny'  ;D :D ;D :D ..... I have escaped from SKY (long story) and have at last got a fast line (Compared to 3.5-4 Meg).

My Line Stats:
============================================================================
    VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                    Mode:          VDSL2 Annex B
            VDSL Profile:        Profile 17a
            Traffic Type:        PTM Mode
             Link Uptime:       0 day: 0 hour: 15 minutes
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
               Line Rate:         20.063 Mbps       80.103 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate:   19.999 Mbps       79.987 Mbps
          Trellis Coding:         ON                    ON
              SNR Margin:       15.0 dB              17.1 dB
            Actual Delay:        0 ms                  0 ms
          Transmit Power:     6.9 dBm              13.9 dBm
           Receive Power:     -7.1 dBm             -1.9 dBm
              Actual INP:        0.0 symbols         0.0 symbols
       Total Attenuation:     14.1 dB               15.8 dB
--------Zyxel------------
Attainable Net Data Rate:     34.515 Mbps      114.522 Mbps

--------HG612------------
Attainable Net Data Rate:     34.053 Mbps      105.620 Mbps

VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):  4.6    22.1    32.3     N/A    11.4    26.5    40.7   
Signal Attenuation(dB):  4.6    21.1    31.2     N/A    13.4    26.2    40.6   
        SNR Margin(dB): 15.4    14.9    15.0     N/A    17.1    17.1    17.1   
   Transmit Power(dBm):- 2.6   -21.2     6.5     N/A    11.4     7.7     7.1   

P.S. Thanks to dmcdonnell for the Zyxel VMG8324 ex Eircom F1000.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:25:55 PM by AArdvark »

dmcdonnell

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 02:04:46 AM »

Superb. I owe Kitz £5 :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:22:51 AM »

Sorry - only just seen this thread, but glad you got it sorted.

Additionally, disabled PhyR Ds & PhyR Us & SRA (On by default) it is now working

Just noticed that by default mine were set as (and still are)

Annex M - disable
PhyR US - disable
PhyR DS - Enable
SRA - Enable

So it obviously cant matter, if the technology (such s SRA) isnt available then its not going to be able to use it anyhow.

I am getting 9 Mbps more 'Attainable Net Data Rate' than the Openreach HG612 Modem.

Yes I got a nice large increase too.  I think most people that used it have. :)
Nice stats btw.  Your HG12stats are iirc similar to mine when I first went live & after a line fault fix. My atten is just slightly less.   Is that a new cab?

Very happy 'bunny'

I hope you continue to be as happy with it as I am with mine.  There's a few small quirks (mostly the Firefox issue) but aside from that I really like it.   Also Ive found the wifi range pretty damn good compared to others.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 12:25:19 AM »

Superb. I owe Kitz £5 :)

Unexpected, but thank you very much.   It goes in the pot towards next months hosting fees :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 09:08:32 AM »

Just noticed that by default mine were set as (and still are)

Annex M - disable
PhyR US - disable
PhyR DS - Enable
SRA - Enable

So it obviously cant matter, if the technology (such s SRA) isnt available then its not going to be able to use it anyhow.

I would agree with you as this BT SIN http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/498v5p1a.pdf states that PhyR DS/US + SRA should be supported and hence if enabled should NOT stop the connection.
Yet, I tried connecting with identical defaults to you and it 'Failed', I enabled PhyR DS/US + SRA and it 'Failed'.
Only when I disabled them did it connect. I repeated this 2 times to check if it was a fluke and it was not ???.

Maybe the line is misconfigured ?

The POTS cab is very old (Huawei CAB [Fibre] new) and was wired in 'reverse' to quote the OR Engineer.

I watched the line being enabled (2nd in cab) and after escalating a call back to OR it was discovered the punchdown block was wired the opposite to normal. OR Network Ops, back at base, reset/re-enabled the line as part of the diagnostic process to discover the fault.
The Engineer had to write on the inside of the Cab door a note to advise the wiring had been reversed otherwise every Engineer would be raising a call with OR when their line did not work.???

I hope you continue to be as happy with it as I am with mine.  There's a few small quirks (mostly the Firefox issue) but aside from that I really like it.   Also Ive found the wifi range pretty damn good compared to others.

Very happy but a quirk I am 'Fighting' is when I open the web address for the Zyxel (192.168.x.x) it does not always finish displaying the page and hangs with a busy cursor spining. This can be got past, most times, by backpaging in Firefox and retrying.
The same thing happens with the ASUS RT-AC56U. I have swapped cables (Cat 6)/network card(Intel CT Adapter) and Gigabit switch (TP-Link TL-SG1008D) for all new items and it only affects the  Zyxel & RT-AC56U ???

I have re-installed Firefox,could it be a Firefox problem?

Chrome will not install ???.
It crashes during the end of the install with no message other than 'Sorry Chrome has crashed. Do you want to restart ?'.
Restarting crashes again ???

Update:
Fixed, NOT a problem with either the Zyxel VMG8324 or Asus RT-AC56U  ;D ;D
Turned out to be related to Firefox Add-ons corrupt or fighting each other ???
Re-Installed Firefox again and wiped all Addon-ons then added again and working OK.
Still cannot use Chrome but no loss to me !!!!

So lots of fun !!!!!

Late News:
(OR DLM has just pushed the 'Attainable' to 120 Mbps and 'Actual' down to 72.55 Mbps  :( :( )

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:35:44 PM by AArdvark »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »

Only when I disabled them did it connect. I repeated this 2 times to check if it was a fluke and it was not

Wonder if it is anything to do with the dslam set-up then.  Im on an ECI cab which doesnt seem to mind.

it only affects the  Zyxel & RT-AC56U

Sorry not sure what that could be.  Some sort of caching issue?   :hmm:

I use Firefox as my main browser and the only issue I did have is with the save button not working for line config changes page.  I view stats and access the router most of the time with FF.  I was doing some testing the other week with the wifi and I was changing those settings fine in firefox.
Sometimes the 'login' button image is a bit slow to load, but Im talking about 1 or 2 seconds, so nothing major.

Chrome will not install
Have you tried the alternative installer?
https://support.google.com/installer/answer/126299?hl=en

(OR DLM has just pushed the 'Attainable' to 120 Mbps and 'Actual' down to 72.55 Mbps

hmmmm  has the DLM just applied interleaving?  It sounds like it may have - the increase in attainable sometimes happens when it does. 
I hope its not the DLM being aggressive because you have been turning off and plugging in new routers?   :(
-----

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »

Wonder if it is anything to do with the dslam set-up then.  Im on an ECI cab which doesnt seem to mind.
Could be.
Could explain why SIN 498 states 'Should support PhyR + SRA etc'.
Maybe some parts of the OR network are different for whatever reason !!!
As you stated it should not affect anything if not there.
Although SRA would be usefull instead of DLM jumping around with BIG lags before/after changes.

Have you tried the alternative installer?
https://support.google.com/installer/answer/126299?hl=en
Thanks, trying this now.

hmmmm  has the DLM just applied interleaving?  It sounds like it may have - the increase in attainable sometimes happens when it does.
I hope its not the DLM being aggressive because you have been turning off and plugging in new routers?
I was aware of the risks changing routers while DLM was running BUT you get the 1st 2 days on 'full bore' so to speak and power offs should not change anything.
Also I used the 'Dying Gasp' by pulling power NOT removing the DSL cable & waited at least 30 mins before switching back on.

[Hard Hat on]
I know there is some debate about 'Dying Gasp' but it is in the SIN !!!!.
I can only assume that BT/OR document what they do not what they should do.
Although 'Real World' experience in all industries has demonstrated 'assuming' is not to be relied on !!!  :D ;D :D
[Hard Hat off]

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »

When things have settled down it would be interesting to compare error rates on the Zyxel with those on the HG612.  The Zyxel i had gave more than 5 times the error rate of the HG612 with the same sync speeds -- it was sent back.  Kitz reported no change in error rates. Mine may have been faulty as i suspected or it may be just my line that Zyxel did not like.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 03:38:21 PM »

When things have settled down it would be interesting to compare error rates on the Zyxel with those on the HG612.  The Zyxel i had gave more than 5 times the error rate of the HG612 with the same sync speeds -- it was sent back.  Kitz reported no change in error rates. Mine may have been faulty as i suspected or it may be just my line that Zyxel did not like.
Give me until the 10 days of 'DLM Hell' is over then I will get whatever stats you need.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »

Although SRA would be usefull instead of DLM jumping around with BIG lags before/after changes.

A little birdy told me that next year BT may well be dabbling into the world of SRA. 
They are also already quietly playing with PhyR/G.INP on some lines.
-----

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 02:21:11 PM »

A little birdy told me that next year BT may well be dabbling into the world of SRA. 

Very good to know.
It looks as though BT are starting to test/use all the 'Hidden' features in the Openreach supplied modems & OR Compatible ISP Supplied modems.
Maybe the SIN 498 requirements are actually inclusive of 'Future Planning' ??????  :o :o :
[No, must be a mistake surely  ;D ;D ;D <jk>]

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 06:13:27 PM »

Do you have any details on this i.e. what we should be looking for/monitoring?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 08:46:44 PM »

No it was quite vague, but implied that SRA may be trialled after vectoring.
Re phyR the impression I got was that this is already being tested both on adsl2+ and vdsl. There wasn't much indication as to which group/area/region was selected.  It was deemed that EUs probably wouldn't notice.

I also got a hint (but how true I don't know) that there may be a hardware solution for vectoring on ECI cabs.  I'm not too convinced about that yet though so don't get hopes up on that score.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »

Very good to know.
It looks as though BT are starting to test/use all the 'Hidden' features in the Openreach supplied modems & OR Compatible ISP Supplied modems.
Maybe the SIN 498 requirements are actually inclusive of 'Future Planning' ??????  :o :o :
[No, must be a mistake surely  ;D ;D ;D <jk>]

SRA isn't particularly new.  It's an adsl technology that has been around for a while.  UkOnline LLU used to use SRA with adsl2+ since circa 2006 at a time when bt was only just introducing adsl max.

PhyR is iirc a Broadcom invention that is also a few years old now.  I know that both me and BE have seen weird indications that phyR could possibly be in use and we've discussed it on here too.
It's one of the possible reasons why some of us on occasions could see FECs on a non interleaved line.
-----
Pages: [1] 2