Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Microdirect (.co.uk) data breach/sale - phishing emails  (Read 5132 times)

Microdirect (.co.uk) data breach/sale - phishing emails
« on: July 19, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »

If any of you have ever used a company called Microdirect then you will likely be getting some phishing email. The email address in question was only ever used for Microdirect and the chances of anyone guessing it are remote.

Don't fall for it as its simply an attempt to get you to enter your Verified by VISA/Mastercard details. It will have your full address details so don't click on the link no matter how genuine it looks - the link will redirect to a Russian (no surprise there) IP address.

The landing page for microdirect.co.uk is simply a list of manufacturer's contact details - I wouldn't recommend visiting it without a decent script blocker just in case.

I'd say its pretty likely that Microdirect either got hacked or went bust & sold contact details. Either way watch your CC statements closely if you've dealt with them before.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Microdirect (.co.uk) data breach/sale - phishing emails
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:30:03 PM »

A timely warning, thank you.
  Eric

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »

Apparently Microdirect went bust a few weeks back.

Seems fairly clear the scumbags chose to cash in their chips & sold the customer database on one of the dodgy credit card/malware forums.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:29:55 AM »

Thanks for the heads up rizla. Sadly I think you may be correct.

I too have seen a couple of instances whereby I've been receiving similar phishing spam to specific email addresses, so I also know exactly where it's originating from.   One of them is/was a smallish company I bought a router from years ago, and others are from website databases I've signed up to which have been hacked.

A friend of mine phoned me up on Friday all in a tizz because he'd got an email from eBay where someone was disputing a payment they'd supposedly made to my friend.   I teamviewered into his PC to have a look at the email and its headers.   It's certainly one of the most convincing phishing attacks I've seen. They even had some of his details.

The giveaway though was the link which had a .br TLD.   It was certainly very cleverly done and thought out.   I'm guessing that somewhere along the lines these particular scammers got his basic details such as name and email address from a hacked database.  :(. If someone has your name to go with the email address it makes it look so much more convincing.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 03:36:46 PM »

I suspect Ticketline has now been hacked and their customer email database breached.   

Im receiving emails with attached viruses to an address that was only ever used for booking tickets with ticketline
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker