Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Billion Bipac 7800N speed issues now sorted by new firmware. YMMV  (Read 3286 times)

Bodge99

Hello All,

New member here... I've been lurking for a while. Now joined as I'm looking at moving to VDSL soon and need to learn all about it.

Anyway, I upgraded from a Bipac 7700N to a 7800N about a year ago. I upgraded to the (then) latest firmware (1.06g) followed later by 1.06h. All was good at the time, with good sync speeds and throughput etc.

My ISP (ADSL24) was taken over by Coms. At around this time I noticed problems developing with my connection. Sync figures gradually started to deteriorate.. from around 13,000 kbps to under 6,000 kbps. I initially thought that the new ISP might be the reason for the "slowdown".

ISP support (both of them) could not identify any particular problems so I was really left on my own.. I've spent a great deal of time checking/altering/renewing my internal house wiring and network in an effort to eliminate any potential problems here. No real changes detected.

This morning, as part of (another) router check, I noticed that there was a later firmware version available. I therefore downloaded and flashed the router with this one.

On restart, I was amazed to see a 100% increase in sync speeds (currently at just under 13000 kbps).

Firmware 1.06h.dt2 works for me!! I'm unsure exactly what has changed, but whatever it is, I'm now a very happy bunny.

Hope this helps someone..

Bodge99

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Billion Bipac 7800N speed issues now sorted by new firmware. YMMV
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.

Thanks for posting the information, but I must admit to a doubt that the upgrade was responsible for the improvement. :)

Billion recommend that you do a factory reset when upgrading firmware, so could it be that you previously had a configuration which wasn't optimum, and in setting it up again you did it right?
  Eric

Bodge99

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 04:28:39 PM »

Hello again,

Thanks for the reply..

Yep, I always do a factory reset when flashing firmware.. I do see why you are saying this though.

I did also perform a binary compare with the installed firmware and a freshly downloaded copy of the same version.

Both identical..

Bodge99

Bodge99

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »

Update:

Hello All,

I've just picked up another 7800N with a view to modding it (adding a Pic32 based line & network port monitoring).

As an experiment I flashed it with the 1.06h firmware, performed a factory reset, re-entered connection details etc. and connected up.

Sync came up with a down speed of under 6,000 kbps again.

I repeated the experiment with the 1.06h.dt2 firmware. As I hoped, down speeds are now back to just under 13,000 kbps.

So I think it's safe to say that this firmware is the solution for my particular setup and line etc.

Interesting??

Bodge99.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:46:09 PM »

That's really quite remarkable. I can't explain it, but your results seem conclusive in your circumstances.
  Eric

anything