Computer Software > Windows 7

Once every day or so system restarts: no effect on router

(1/2) > >>

renluop:
I am browsing or whatever and the screen goes black, followed by the Dell screen inviting to select restart method. Once restarted and logged in, I find it is as if nothing had happened; no effect on performance.

I hope I have not asked this before (potential  :-[), but what could be the cause?

roseway:
If it's spontaneously rebooting then I think it's most likely to be a hardware problem, such as dodgy (or badly seated) memory, or some other intermittent connection somewhere. You could try opening it up and reseating the memory and jiggling any plugs and sockets (while switched off of course).

burakkucat:
Agreeing with Eric, I would first suspect physical connections and then possibly a failing power supply. Next, overheating. All all the fans operating? Has one stalled? Finally, is the system clogged with dust?  :-\

renluop:
Thanks all. Although It was not that long ago the box wold have been opened up, I am wondering after you comments about dust. Our house sits on the edge of town by the boundary of the New Forest ( horses in field at the rear) and does get very dusty.

kitz:
Im only echoing Eric and b*cat have said, but just wanted to add one more area - graphics card.

For me personal the graphics card is one of the things that has caused me the most grief over the years on various PCs.  Usually its due to over-heating especially this time of year.

I also had a blackscreen issue circa xmas time, which turned out to be related to my nvidia drivers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version