Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows7 64bit - won't access the USB harddrive - SORTED  (Read 5470 times)

Kalimera

• Just arrived
Windows7 64bit - won't access the USB harddrive - SORTED
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:26:55 PM »

I might be overlooking something, but ....

I bought an external cradle to sort out my nieces laptop (problems with virus and booting etc), I plugged the harddrive into it and then into my computer and it read it fine, removed the virus' and malware etc, put it back in hers and got it up and running.
Then my other niece asked if I could recover her college work off hers as that had gone kerput... which again it did no problem.

Then at a later date I got a new hardrive to use as a backup... it knows its there, tells me usb connection etc... but then won't see it.. doesn't come up showing as a listed drive. I've uninstalled the drivers/usb for it all, it reinstalls them when I plug it back in, but still won't give it a drive letter and make it visible ?

Help Please

:-)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:56:32 PM by Kalimera »

Kalimera

• Just arrived
Re: Windows7 64bit - won't access the USB harddrive
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »

ps - it did the same thing with a usb stick my mate was trying to show me his carshow photos on, it read ok in TV, in PS3/4, in wifes machine but not on mine. Next time he brought a different usb stick and it read that perfectly ! ?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 09:15:09 PM »

Just a thought, is the new HDD partitioned and formatted or at least formatted with a Windows recognizable file system?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Kalimera

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:44:15 PM »

Yes the drive was formatted out of the box etc...

I've just sorted it out !..... I've been going back to it on and off when I'm in the mood (for weeks)....

The problem appears to be the 3 hidden 'drives' on the ACER laptop, they aren't assigned drive letter either, so some times a drive like this will get assigned an existing letter (which it obviously can't have) so doesn't appear....

Now all the things that address this suggest looking in COMPUTER and MANAGE drives etc... but as the drive doesn't show up at the top you can't click on it to change its drive letter ! It only shows as the bottom as a space (of so many gig etc)... there you can tell it to format and assign a drive letter... so I picked Z... and now it shows up...

:-)

anything