Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Friend's deteriorated wi-fi after change of ISP  (Read 6520 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Friend's deteriorated wi-fi after change of ISP
« on: June 29, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »

He has a quite large bungalow and was using BT Internet and changed to another reseller ISP. He found that the wi-fi signal using the new ISP's router was weak, and AFAIK reverted to the old BT router, but still the signal appears weaker than before.

I don't think something domestic coincidental or nearby can be excluded, but what else should he consider? Could something on the incoming side be the culprit? Incidentally his house must be sitting on an FTTC cab, but Sam Knows still has the address as ADL2+, so I reckon it's a recent upgrade.

Suggestions very welcome!!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Friend's deteriorated wi-fi after change of ISP
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:19:52 PM »

Any chance the 'new' router is still switched on, and adding to background interference for the BT router?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 04:23:38 PM »

The WiFi connection is completely unrelated to the ADSL/VDSL2 connection  and the ISP. It's just part of the local network. If the WiFi signal strength is lower than it was before, using the same router, then something else has changed coincidentally. If the router and the remote equipment that connects to it are in the same physical positions as before, then my guess would be that either the channel has changed or a neighbour has started using the same channel (or as 7LM suggests, the other router is still switched on).
  Eric

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 08:02:34 PM »

The WiFi connection is completely unrelated to the ADSL/VDSL2 connection  and the ISP. It's just part of the local network. If the WiFi signal strength is lower than it was before, using the same router, then something else has changed coincidentally.

I agree 100%. but there are so many things which might affect it and are not obvious to a non-technical person say for instance a new car which reflects WiFi differently (not kidding !)

I would be inclined to start from scratch, using one of the free programs to see which channels are in use locally. Or, it seems unlikely that both router's WiFI have gone down,  but possible the computer's WiFi card may have gone sick ?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:04:41 PM by JGO »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 08:13:38 PM »

I am inclined to agree with Eric, the channel may have reverted to default channel 1 ............ go into the Hub Manager and change it to Channel 11 or 13.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:11:34 PM »

Thank you for the replies.

Something I'd like to ask, is how one identifies a sick wi-fi card.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 08:29:48 PM »

Thank you for the replies.

Something I'd like to ask, is how one identifies a sick wi-fi card.

When a wi-fi card is becoming sick the tell tale signs are when you boot up the computer it becomes hit & miss to get a connection and the miss's become more frequent as the wi-fi card/usb dongle become sicker  ;)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »

Well after all that he (or rather his missus) has decided the problem doesn't lie with the 582n's wi-fi!

They do have some troubles in that (as told me):
switching between sites in Chrome can cause some sort of drop (I'm puzzled) and sometimes they see their emails but can't download to computer ( even more puzzled).

As to the sync speed and through-put that seems OK, ~10000 kbps resulting in ~8500 kbps.
But they say that is not what they get most times,  5000 kbps being more the norm.

Whether the lows etc are regular pattern or random, I do not know. I have suggested congestion, wondering if recent events may have some effect.

Other thoughts? (than I should not try to help with my limitations :-\

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 04:56:18 PM »

I think start from a firm foundation of facts.  Temporarily eliminating the WiFi with a cable link would be a good start. It might show up , say, a corrupted browser. { It is tempting to suggest incorrect setting up to new ISP - but I would expect 100%  failure, or browsing but not email  ? }

As to the sync speed and through-put that seems OK, ~10000 kbps resulting in ~8500 kbps.
But they say that is not what they get most times,  5000 kbps being more the norm.

Does this mean the actual speed to modem is 50% of the synch speed or the synch speed drops ? Dslstats or Routerstats may clarify.

Other thoughts? (than I should not try to help with my limitations
Well don't get in the middle of a marital row !!!

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 08:04:59 PM »

Another option you could try if you are thinking it may be browser related is to disable or uninstall plugins.

In chrome if you type about:plugins in the url bar it should show you which plugins Chrome has installed. In IE you have to goto Tools then click Manage addons

To see if any addons are affecting Outlook (assuming this is their email client) you can type outlook /safe in the search programs and files bar
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 09:57:09 PM »

His latest email read today on my return from Switzerland

We are back online again after being without broadband for 36 hours.

I spent some time on the Plus net helpline, resulting in the technician
offering to send me a new router.  We had intermittent broadband before the
router arrived, but after it was fitted (1000 hours Friday 18 July) I could
get on the Internet with my Windows 7 computer, but not with the XP machine
I use all the time.  M could gain access to the broadband with her Apple
Mac laptop, but not with her Windows 7 laptop.  The network failed
completely between all four computers.
I have spent a day going over and over the problem and trying everything I could think. 
Finally this afternoon I managed to get both my computers working about an hour ago and have been dealing with a deluge of e-mails ever since.
I've just had a break (and a cup of tea) to take stock of the situation and
the network has come back, but not between my computers and Mary's Apple Mac
laptop, although I can see her Windows 7 laptop.

Wife spent some time on the Plus net forum and says she has found pages of
complaints regarding the Technicolor router we are now using

Again he hints of going back to BT, and I shall explain futility of such action. As to the 582N it does work successfully in many cases. That with the matters he mentions make me think the troubles lie with his set up. Given what connections come and go, could you make further suggestions? Simple me wonders whether they are working the router wifi too hard and need some kind of range extender for their bungalow. Not sure date built but could old fashioned wiring be a cause?

Once again thoughts will be appreciated.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 01:40:30 AM »

Yeah there are quite a few complaints on the PN forums about the tg582n, but they are mostly to do with wifi range.  In all honesty it's not as bad as made out.  Bear in mind that a lot of PN users on there are techies and expect the fastest and best blah blah.. Comparing it to a box that would cost >£100.

BE used the tg582ns and so do several other ISPs.  If there were that crap do you think it would also be the router that Zen sells too? 

I've used a tg592n on both be and plusnet.  It does the job, but it's not dual band or anything.  I could get a signal in my garden patio (unlike some I could mention).   To me its the ford focus that gets you there, but can't be compared to a merc.  As far as broadband connection goes, it's stable and it certainly gave me the best sync speeds on adsl2+ compared to several other routers including the netgears.

IMHO there's nowt wrong with it on the adsl and networking side, it's just not got the latest and greatest wifi speeds.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 07:26:04 AM »

"I don't think something domestic coincidental or nearby can be excluded, but what else should he consider? "

I wonder if the friend just had Double Glazing installed ? the glass with the heat reflecting metal layer ?!   I have known this block out mobile phones 100% so a strong suspect for partial loss of WiFi signal.

Regarding complaints on fora, depends what you want !
Saw one about a pub where someone didn't tell them the plates were hot and child burned a finger. We would complain about hot food on cold plates !

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 07:35:27 AM »

I'm with you all on people's opinions,which usually follow the vociferous herd.

But what about the rest of my post once the router is out of the equation?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 08:26:35 AM »

I think you (or they) need to do what JGO suggested earlier, and go back to basics, rather than trying to guess the cause of a rather ill-defined problem. There seem to be several machines in different parts of the bungalow; are they all connected by WiFi? Are they in fixed positions, or do they move about the home?

Try the portable devices first. Do they work reliably in some rooms but not others? Do they work reliably if you temporarily connect them by ethernet? Does the same apply to all the portable devices? If 'Yes' to all three questions then it does seem to be a general problem with WiFi in the bungalow.

Is the WiFi secured? If not, then the results might be confused by a neighbour accidentally or deliberately sharing the connection.

Try changing the WiFi channel. You could try InSSIDer, which will reveal what WiFi channels are in use in the locality, so you can choose one which is separated as much as possible from the others.

That's all for the moment as my stomach is rumbling for breakfast.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything