Computer Software > Windows 8

Backup software

(1/3) > >>

broadstairs:
Since it looks like I'm going to have to live with my wife using Windows 8 does anyone have any suggestions as to good free file backup software which will run on W8? It just needs to copy files which have changed from the Windows system to my NAS drive, it does not need a scheduler since this will only annoy my wife, today on the Linux laptop I have to run backups and updates manually just so nothing gets in her way. I've already turned off automatic updates in W8!

Stuart

kitz:
Does your NAS not include some backup software?  I think mine did, but I use a combination of:-

Windows Backup (W7 & W8) but I think you may need Pro for it to backup to a network Drive.  I use this for system backups

Replicator -  Ive used this for many many years on various windows versions.  The author has since died but I believe it works on win8 too.  I find this very efficient for my daily backups of say desktop or my docs etc but you can use it for whole drives.

SyncToy from Microsoft Power Tools I find is useful for periodic backup of drives to other drives on the same PC or network.

I also use Outlook Personal folder backup for my mail.

Robocopy is something else Ive used in the past, but I stick with SyncToy for drive backups these days.

HPsauce:

--- Quote from: broadstairs on June 29, 2014, 11:58:00 AM --- any suggestions as to good free file backup software which will run on W8?
--- End quote ---
Why do you not want to use the facilities included in Windows 8?

--- Quote ---I've already turned off automatic updates in W8!
--- End quote ---
Why, they pretty much run unnoticed?  ???

loonylion:
I use acronis trueimage for backups. I have it doing a scheduled image of my system drive once a week, and a file backup of the documents drive every day.

I also disable automatic updates, purely so that I'm in control of what gets updated and when. I've seen plenty of computers killed by dodgy windows updates (including servers).

broadstairs:
You have to remember this is my wife's PC and she does not like to be interrupted by anything happening she is not in control of, so auto-updates are a no no. I have not taken a look at any W8 features yet, if there is a simple backup I might well use it but again it will have to do what I want it to do and be completely manual as well (see above). I guess this is one reason I like Linux so much, it does what I want when I want and I'm in control. I've just run Windows Update manually and it's taken ages and is now taking absolutely ages to restart, my Linux system updates easily and never requires a reboot, I usually leave it to do my reboot when I shutdown at night and reboot next day.

As for backups Acronis is overkill for what I need, I've used it before but it is too big and does far more than I ever needed. I was hoping for a recommendation for a small fast free program (that's my Linux view coming out again  ;) ).

Stuart

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version