Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DLM question  (Read 1991 times)

Woppy101

DLM question
« on: June 24, 2014, 06:43:59 PM »

I have been having a few problems with my sky fibre line since I switched to the 80/20 package from the 40/10 package.
A bit of back ground, my line even on ADSL was quite good, got a ping of about 38-42ms, I then switched to fibre and got a ping of 12-15ms on the 40/10 product. I upgraded to the 80/20 and synced at the full 80mb and had a ping of 15-18ms then all of a sudden my ping jumped to 25ms then to 34ms and the sync stayed the same. I logged a line fault and after three visits OR finally found a bit of corrosion on the line. I phoned sky yesterday to ask them if they would request a DLM reset and they said the engineer would have requested one already. I woke up this morning and my line speed has dropped to 62mb and the ping has gone to 42ms I phoned sky and they said this proves the DLM was reset and in about 8 days a new speed would be set, I thought if my DLM was reset my line would go back to 80mb and my ping back to 15-18 ms they are adamant that that is incorrect and the line gradually speed up. Which is the right answer I'm livid at the minute because I'm sure they are taking bull.

here are my line stats

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 62920 kbps 20000 kbps
Line Attenuation 16.9 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 9.3 dB 6.6 dB

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: DLM question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »

DLM isn't my 'thang', there are far more knowledgeable folk on here who will give you an in-depth insight as to how DLM and Rambo work together to stabilise the circuit.

What I can tell you for certain is, not every engineer will perform a 'Recalculation' (Reset) as it's officially termed. This could be down to various reasons like ........... not knowing how to, being unawares it can be done, forgetting to do one at the end of the job. So it doesn't always follow that a re-calc will have definitely been done.

Secondly, when we do perform a re-calc, it always puts the circuit back to an open profile ................. ie: 128kbps-40M, 128Kbps-80M ............. depending on the downstream product chosen. If you have historically managed the full 80Meg, I would have expected that the initial synch speed after a re-calc would have jumped back to somewhere around that speed ?? But, it may not stay there dependant on cross-talk levels and/or still a potential network fault ??

Looking at your stats, I would probably guess that a re-calc has not been done if they were taken immediately after the engineer left site ??

Woppy101

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »

How long does the request from sky take to go through? He's telling me it's normal to start small and work it's way up

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 10:21:58 PM »

I seem to recall Kitz, our leader, saying that Sky's DLM was back-to-front or inside-out or a*-about-t*.  :-\

It starts at a low speed setting and if the circuit proves itself to be stable, then increases the sync speed. It continues with that step-wise process until the circuit is seen to be unstable, when it drops back one increment to the previous level and then stays there -- as long as stability prevails.  :-X

Edit: b*cat has just realised he has committed a folly.  :paperbag:  What I have written, above, is my understanding of the operation of Sky's DLM on their ADSL circuits. You have asked about a Sky VDSL2 (FTTC) circuit . . . There can be no difference from any other VDSL2 circuit, for they all are controlled by the Openreach DLM.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:23:45 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:46:28 PM »

I do wonder if SKY's DLM has the same 14 day self stabiliziing period as BTw if so then you should sync higher in 3-4 days if the fault has been fixed, but if you have been moved from Fastpath to Interleaved or your Interleave has increased this will take 14 days or more to decrease.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:56:52 PM by NewtronStar »