Computers & Hardware > Networking

Wireless 5GHz - v- 2.4GHz

(1/7) > >>

kitz:
I recently had in my mitts on a dual band 5GHz wifi router, so thought I'd do some testing to see how it compares with my 802.11n 2.4 GHz
Thought someone may be interested in how it compares in a real world situation.

Tests were performed using speedtest.net  London Namesco server on a windows 8.1 laptop & ipad2
The summary shows the mean average of 3 tests at each location.  If any particular test showed an unexpected result a further test was run.

I'll attach the results summary and let you draw your own conclusion, suffice to say the only real benefit of 5Ghz was if using the laptop in the same room as the router.  Other than that well..... it was totally useless in the garden.  :(

loonylion:
That's interesting, because my 5ghz wifi (802.11a) works fine anywhere in the house or garden, just as well, or maybe marginally better, than my 2.4ghz g wifi (both networks powered by a HP procurve WAP).

kitz:
If yours is ac, that may make some difference?

Unfortunately I have very little info about the other router other than  "2.4GHz 300Mbps and 5GHz 300Mbps connection"
The ipad wouldnt connect to both the 2.4GHz and the 5 GHz connection, so that will have hampered things too as I had to manually select which one I wanted to connect to.   This is a restriction of the ipad.

kitz:
PS

Im not sure if this is co-incidence or not..  Normally my phone will last a couple of days without charging.  But whilst the other router was in use I had to charge it slightly more often.   Has anyone else seen similar or is there an explanation..  or was it just one of those things?

loonylion:
It's not 802.11ac, it's 802.11a, 54mbps 5ghz. It never really caught on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version