Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: suspected line fault and bit loading graph ok?  (Read 5626 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: suspected line fault and bit loading graph ok?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 09:00:06 AM »

It does sound/look like an intermittent HR/dodgy cable joint fault to me.

The symptoms are quite similar to when I had the same issue.

The resyncs could possibly be due to a cable joint being momentarily disturbed, causing a lower sync speed.

With a lower sync speed, SNRM would have increased.

I would imagine that another resync when the joint isn't disturbed would increase sync speed slightly & return SNRM back to around the target 6dB.

If your connection actually resynced every time you use the phone, it should be sufficient 'evidence' to warrant an engineer visit, but I'm not sure you have quite enough evidence (yet).

My HR fault turned out to be a badly corroded joint between the underground cable & the pole mounted DP.
It did take almost 11 months to get it repaired though as numerous engineer tests invariably passed as LTOK.

Mike_IG

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 12:07:29 PM »

Hi Bald Eagle,

thanks (again) for looking at my stats.

I realise that with a lower sync speed the SNRM would increase, it was really the downstream side of it I was looking at, with the disconnects my download stayed the same speed as normal (around 32meg) but the boost (for a short amount of time) pushed the SNRM of the downstream upto 8 as well causing the attainable to go from the usual 32meg to 38meg before going back to the normal amount.

I had a resync today in the early hours, I'm guessing DLM going by the time it happened. downstream attainable pretty much stayed the same but the attainable of the upstream has gone back up close to 8meg as my upstream power has gone back pretty much to where it was before my line had a fit.

Your HR fault sounds almost identical to an issue I had that 1 engineer eventually found a few years ago, basically the pole serving my house isn't a usual one but a metal one, apparently according to the engineer they are a knightmare and rust every easy and this one has done it in the door part of the pole as such it doesn't shut or lock properly and so they have to put a shed load of tape around it to keep it sealed.
It turned out that the connection in there for my line was corroded as well and the joint basically fell apart which the engineer thought was prob caused by moisture being able to get in due to the door/tape mentioned issue.

I agree I don't think I have enough evidence yet to get an engineer visit especially as again it appears to have settled down again. Even when I had the issue on ADSL when it went down every time the phone rang they couldn't find what looks like a HR issue, it doesn't help when half of the engineers just checked to make sure the line was working (which it obviously was as the phone wasn't in use) and said that's all they were here for, every other engineer found the fault was happening at the cab and then again at the exchange but could never get the issue fixed.

I just need the price of Aluminium to sky rocket and hopefully someone will steal the Aluminium and it will get replaced, I think that maybe asking to much though.

Thanks again

Mike

Mike_IG

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 07:55:31 PM »

Little update, The line has had a fit today and it now goes down everytime the phone is picked up, not only that but it stays down now until the handset is put down). I've changed the modem, RJ11 cable, phone and plugged a different filter into the test socket and still the same happens so hopefully it will stay like that all weekend and we can arrange for BT to come out and look at it as the last issue disappeared for a little while (only to come back with a vengeance).
Although with the amount of engineers I had out when I had a similar issue when on ADSL I'm not holding out to much hope.
The weird thing is though that DSLStats seemed to point at the Upstream being the issue (downstream SNR went up according to that) where as HG612 Modem stats pointed at the downstream being the issue as it hit a negative figure.

Mike

Mike_IG

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 10:12:40 AM »

Well engineer been and gone, he found that one of the connections (to the PCP I think) had come loose (it's apparently the old style ones where you have to screw the 2 wires in at an angle and the bottom one was barely connecting. Currently all back and working and no issues when phone is picked up.
Pages: 1 [2]