Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Things that go 'ting' in the night  (Read 4305 times)

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
Things that go 'ting' in the night
« on: June 06, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »

I often hear, at 2300 plus or minus a few minutes, a single 'ting' from my Bell Set No. 26.

I assume this is BTOR doing a routine test, sequentially through all the lines on an exchange.

This certainly happened in my days with Beattie, though not being on that department, I don't know how effective it was.

And now, of course, I have even less of a clue. Presumably they're looking for 'E' side, cab, pillar, 'D' side common faults before they develop into major breakdowns?   :-\

Does it work - or are BTOR too busy firefighting?
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Things that go 'ting' in the night
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 01:00:29 AM »

I seem to recall that a whole sequence of tests used to be performed, one of which was line polarity reversal. Obviously a mechanical bell, with a capacitor in series will make a transient sound as the capacitor is discharged through the bell coils upon line polarity reversal.

I have a vague memory that when this nocturnal routine testing was first begun, some time in the early 1980s, BT was inundated with complaints from subscribers who possessed bedside telephones. I believe the end result, after a higher-level investigation, was that subscribers so troubled could request that their line be excluded from the nightly testing.

There may be a mention of such routine testing of lines in one of the SINs.

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 07:32:53 AM »

Hmm ? I've not heard of nightly-routines taking place for donkeys years now ?? That's not to say it doesn't still happen but I very much doubt it, as the type of fault task we received as a result of a nightly-routine doesn't exist anymore.

It would be worded quite strongly at the head of the task, something along the lines of ..... 'This task has been raised by our automated system. The customer (as they were called back then  ;) ) is not aware a fault exists, and therefore can not be charged'

For the BTOR pedants who may be looking on, it is not word perfect, but neither is my memory. However, it's pretty much on the money.

Speaking of which, I would humbly suggest this may be part of the reason this type of activity was ceased, as we were repairing all manner of faults inside the customers premises gratis. The reasoning behind it being brought in, was down to the 'Customer Experience' measure, with the thinking being if we identify and repair a fault before the customer realises something's amiss, they would be over the moon. Nice thought at the time, but financially crippling.

PS ..... these tasks were only on PSTN circuits, and I have to say I think the project was abandoned before DSL came in anyway ??

4candles

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »

Many thanks for the observations from the cattery and the sheepfold.  :)

This thread from the BT forum would suggest that overnight routines were still being carried out in 2012. Maybe they still are, but the results are not passed to the field.

Anyway, now that I'm aware of it, I'll keep a closer eye ear on it, and report back on any findings.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 04:04:07 PM »

This thread from the BT forum would suggest that overnight routines were still being carried out in 2012.

Having read that thread in its entirety (noting the confusion and some poor advice along the way), I will suggest that you make a check of your internal wiring.  ;)

4candles

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 09:40:54 PM »

Yes, I read the entire thread initially, and agree that it was a very confusing saga.

As for internal wiring - I don't have any, in the usual sense of the term.

It's an ADSL2+ connection, with a VDSL MkII faceplate. 4-way splitter feeding a repro 746-type tele (minus bell), Bell Set 26, DECT base and caller display unit.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 10:18:40 PM »

Has the Bell Set 26 been converted? Or is it just presenting the pair of low resistance coils in series with the 1.8 uFarad capacitor to the pair?  :-\

The normal conversion is to insert a 3.3k Ohm resistor in series with the bell coils and capacitor.

4candles

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 02:19:02 PM »

Has the Bell Set 26 been converted?

Naturellement.   ;)

I do have a '26', but I've just noticed that the one in question is actually a Bell Set No 37 - same as the 26 (Bell No 59A & 2µF cap), but with the addition of a Coil Induction No 27.
Looks exactly the same externally.

All academic, of course, as terminals 'E' and '7' are wired to pins 3 and 5 of the Plug 431A, so only the bell coils are in circuit - the 1·8µF cap being in the NTE5A.

The wire link between the coils has been replaced with a 3K resistor. 3·3K is often quoted, but only because it's a preferred value in the E6 and E12 series.

I should perhaps have said in the OP that I have no desire to stop the 'ting' - a Thermistor 1A would fix it - and it might just give an indication of 'nefarious activity' on the local loop.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »

I should have expected that all potential possibilities had long since been removed.  :)

Thermistor 1A was going to be my final suggestion . . .  ;)

anything