Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gameover Zeus - a chance to remove  (Read 2451 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Gameover Zeus - a chance to remove
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:01:07 AM »

We've probably all seen the reports, as far as I can ascertain an army of International superheros has temporarily stalled a big botnet, allowing us all two weeks to disenfect.  Example of the story...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/gameover-zeus-computer-users-given-twoweek-warning-over-virus-threat-9474878.html

I don't doubt that the story will have some merit, what gets me is that many of them carry this or similar text:
Internet service providers will now contact thousands of customers believed to have been affected by Gameover Zeus

So, given the bad guys behind the botnet are not  exactly stupid, how long will it be before we see a flurry of convincing but fake emails from ISPs, containing a (malicious) executable that we should run?  And how many people will be suckered?  :o

At the very least, a few Indian call centres, the ones that phone up claiming to be 'Microsoft Support' can probably look forwards to a busy time ahead.   :wall:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:06:03 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Gameover Zeus - a chance to remove
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »

It is like that notice found in cockpits " Aeroplanes bite fools ! "  - so does the Internet (and 'phone)