Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: wireless connectivity  (Read 5917 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
wireless connectivity
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »

I am experiencing problems with wireless connectivity with my netgear DG834G. 

The signal keeps dropping or showing as limited connection. Pages are taking a long time to load of I get a message saying page is not available.  The fault appears to be intermittant.  It generally affects my laptop but not my internet radio, although the radio connection has been lost once.  I can connect OK using ethernet cable.

Any suggestions as to why this might be happning and what I can do about it.  I am thinking that maybe the router is playing up, I have used this for a number of years, and maybe it needs replacing.

Thanks

gom

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: wireless connectivity
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 05:56:59 PM »

first thing is try changing the channel. There's only 3 non-overlapping channels available, 1, 6 and 11. Try a different one of those.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »

Thank you for your reply.

In wireless settings the router was using channel 1, with region not selected.  I tried changing channel but no 'apply' icon. Changed region to europe and channel immediately changed to 11.  Navigated away from that screen but whne I went back channel to 6.  I pressed 'apply' icon and logged out.  When logging back in again, channel had reverted to 1 with no region selected.

Any suggestions

gom

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:15:03 PM »

After some research I came across a few some comments about windows firewall causing problems with WIFI.

Have downloaded a third party firewall and initial indications are that this may have resolved the problem although some sites are still taking ages to load and I am still getting the odd page won't load.

gom

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »

The using of third party firewall has not resolved the problem.

I have come across a number of articles about wifi connection problems in W8, there seems to a connection with W8.1 update.

In one article it was suggested that the problem might be resolved by using netsh to reset TCP/IP stack.  Comments on web site have noted success in doing this so have given it a go.

Will have to see.

Is it possible that different web browsers could be at fault?

gom

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 10:15:50 AM »

The using of third party firewall has not resolved the problem.

I have come across a number of articles about wifi connection problems in W8, there seems to a connection with W8.1 update.

In one article it was suggested that the problem might be resolved by using netsh to reset TCP/IP stack.  Comments on web site have noted success in doing this so have given it a go.

Will have to see.

Is it possible that different web browsers could be at fault?

gom

if the actual wireless is dropping out, it's nothing to do with the browser.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »

To continue this thread I am still having trouble connecting to the web.

The problem with wireless signal dropping out has reduced somewhat with this only happening occassionally.  However I am still experiencing problems in loading web pages.

Pages are taking a long time to load, or not loading at all.  I can usually overcome this be either clicking on link for a second ot thrid time or using the bacl button and then reload.

On other occassions I get an a error message relating to page encoding or that security is not recognised (SSL), I click on retry button sometimes three or possibly four times and then page will load.

Any suggestions on how I might resolve this?

Thanks

gom

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 04:30:32 PM »

Suggest sort out a clear channel so you know one thing is OK.

The web site following has free software WiFi channel scanners to do this. I'd go for the least complicated as you just want to know which channels are available and what aerial orientation minimises interference. Having done this you know if you need to bother with the problem of changing channels.

http://www.techmixer.com/free-wifi-scanner-software-scan-wireless-wifi-network/

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 09:10:54 PM »

It is possible that the problem isn't what or where you suspect it may be.

So far from the info in these post and the only basis for thinking you have a problem is that your internet experience is affected? Remember the little WiFi icon in your notification area is a Microsoft icon and it lies.

Whilst you may be experiencing problems with the web it doesn't necessarily mean its the WiFi that is at fault. If you have problems with DNS or some unwanted app which has frigged about with the browser or TCP/IP stack on your computer then it may well appear as though the WiFi is playing up.

Have you opened a command prompt and run a non time expiring ping to your default gateway and observed the "time" the replies report? On your network you should not see lots of "request timed out" or large groups of these messages. Also, disable WiFi and try an Ethernet cable and see if your problems go away.

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 10:23:32 PM »

I am experiencing problems with wireless connectivity with my netgear DG834G. 

These devices are getting on a bit, at least by the standards of today's throwaway society.   

In the past 5 years or so I have had gone through two DG834GTs and a (related) GS608 switch.   All became intermittent after two or three years and then died.   Post mortem showed cause of death in each case to be leaking capacitors, easily spotted by the bulges.   Capacitor failure is exacerbated by heat, so failure in the first hot spell of summer is consistent.  :(

Your's may not be the same, it could be interference in channel as described, or something else.   But you may want to take the lid off and look for bulging caps.   Easily done, just prise off the four rubber feet to reveal the screws.  If the capacitors are looking distressed, it may be time to invest in a new router.

If you need to know what a bulging capacitor looks like, your favourite search engine will bring up examples.

- edited (twice!) to correct typos, gotta stop posting from the iPad.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:31:30 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »

Capacitor failure is indeed a well-known issue for that whole range of devices.  :'(

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 05:54:05 PM »

Apologies for not replying before.

Berrick

Thank for your suggestions, can you be a little specific, how do I run a non expiring ping?

On a more general note I am still having problems with connectivity.  The number of times the connection drops out has almost ceased.  However web pages are still taking a long time to load or just hang.  I can normally overcome this going back one page and then forward one page.  Also pages often load but not correctly and again if I go back and then forward the page then loads.

Pages will also load and then just hang.

As has been noted my router is somewhat long in the tooth and I wonder if it might be time to change in the hope that this may resolve my connectivity issues.  CA have recently given a very good review to a Trendnet TEW-812DRU 802.11ac router and I was considering buying one.  Does any one have experience of this router or any other trendnet products and will 802.11ac be of benefit?

Thanks

gom

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 06:02:30 PM »

Thank for your suggestions, can you be a little specific, how do I run a non expiring ping?

use the /t switch

On a more general note I am still having problems with connectivity.  The number of times the connection drops out has almost ceased.  However web pages are still taking a long time to load or just hang.  I can normally overcome this going back one page and then forward one page.  Also pages often load but not correctly and again if I go back and then forward the page then loads.

This sounds like it could be DNS related. Are you using your ISP DNS? if so, try using 8.8.8.8 instead

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »

Just done a bit more research on trendnet product and it needs to used in conjunction with an adsl modem.  Is this common, I don't use one with my netgear router. Is there any benefit to having a separate modem?

I do have an old router, voyager 205, but if buying new I would prefer an all in one [less clutter], any recommendations?

gom

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »

loonylion

Sorry but can you be a bit more specific.

How do I use /t switch?

How to I find/change ISP DNS?

gom
Pages: [1] 2

anything