Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Just at a very convenient time NOT printer plays dead donkey  (Read 3917 times)

renluop

• Kitizen

... or may be it isn't playing! :(

Last evening I received a communication from my tour company with several attachments that have to be printed off.

Two of four succeeded, but the next one keept failing, the printer talling me to load paper to the rear tray. The printer is set to default  and should print from automatically chosen source on plain paper. The second profile is one for printing photos from the rear tray, and so only loaded as and when needed.
 I have not had any problem before, and I have even substituted "cassette" for " automatic" as paper source.

That was last evening. Today, trying again, the printer seems dead. Power lead has been dis-re-connected, but all that happens is as last evening.

So, unless you guys can come up with some ideas, it looks like Ren will have to open his moth house! :o

Then what to buy?  Presently it's a Canon Pixma MP540 Multifunction with USB connection. Any one got recommendations for replacement? Generally I like Canon.

On the bright side: I had ordered some print cartridges from Amazon, but managed to cancel the order just in time. :D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Just at a very convenient time NOT printer plays dead donkey
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 10:31:15 AM »

Any possibility the tour Company's attachment is specifiying a weird paper size that is incompatible with the front tray ?   If so, obviously, you could  try overriding it to A4 in the print dialogue.

My current printer is also a Canon Pixma, about 4 or 5 years now, I quite like them too.   ISTR one thing I liked was the capacity of cartridges was larger than some, which at least means less bother and may mean less cost too.

I'm also a fan of printers that have ethernet connectivity for wiring convenience.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:57:25 AM »

Nothing I can see and from screen looks same as items that were printed. I tried to copy and print from that too.

EDIT
also after posting decided to uninstall driver. After re installation a test page printed immediately. Examined profiles and only the default is left. However printing my item still fails for same reasons.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:20:04 AM by renluop »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »

Working at last! :clap: but had to go through load of head scratching, imprecations and complete re-setup. Then unexpectedly it printed two copies.
Apparently the sort of trouble I had is caused by, Just Answer's words, "Basically the internal chip on the printer is stuffed with commands for it to print items, this causes the printer to print to the incorrect tray". ::)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »

"Basically the internal chip on the printer is stuffed with commands for it to print items, this causes the printer to print to the incorrect tray"

What a pleasure to see such a technically precise explanation. :lol:
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 08:50:37 PM »

, Just Answer's words, "Basically the internal chip on the printer is stuffed with commands..."

I know that feeling, maybe I should've been be a printer?  :D

Glad you found a solution.   As a fellow Pixma enthusiast I did try a few searches this afternoon, but failed to find anything helpful.    :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:02:47 PM »

Still wondering if it's a sign of approaching failure. Must be getting on for 6 y.o..

And these days a printer is not worth much more than the ink.