Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: BiIlion Bipac 8800NL  (Read 145842 times)

jack21

• Reg Member
BiIlion Bipac 8800NL
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »

Ballicom International are selling the new Billion Bipac 8800NL ADSL/VDSL modem/router for just £60.34 incl free 7-day delivery.

http://www.ballicom.co.uk/search/8800nl

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BiIlion Bipac 8800NL
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »

That's a good price. I've been thinking of getting one for testing purposes.
  Eric

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 01:11:49 PM »

Yes, looks good, Broadcom &  snrm-adjust etc, and the best price I could find......I'm now waiting for mine to arrive!

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:31 PM »

Great service from Ballicom and speedy free delivery too.....highly recommended seller.
I'll put a review on the Forum in due course after I can try it on someone's VDSL.....I'm only on ADSL, but the router is now doing a great job using ADSL2 - very easy to set up and tweak. Higher than usual sync rate and lovely GUI and facilities which I've not yet worked through.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »

You've convinced me :)
I'm placing an order now.
  Eric

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:30:47 PM »

I'm really pleased with it, Eric. I've never bought a new router before......max was previously £20 for a used 7800.....and approx 200 routers have passed thru my hands.
Its working great on ADSL2, and with Routerstats ......and I'm leaving it online for the time being. I look forward to how you get on with one on VDSL.
GUI is superb, CLI is great, SNRM tweak is handy......and all sorts of facilities to explore.

Jack (Linux user: Mint 13, Fedora 16, Lubuntu too)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:54:45 AM by jack21 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »

I'm not on VDSL2 yet, but it's coming shortly, so I'll be able to test it on both. By the way, I've had confirmation from another user that DSLstats works perfectly with it, using the Billion 7800N settings.
  Eric

VDSL2User

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 06:22:52 PM »

I received my 8800NL yesterday and have to say it is great and amazing value as well.
It is smaller than I expected but for me thats a good thing.
Using the quick setup feature I had it connected to my VDSL2 line in a few minutes and
its sync rate is the best of all the other modem/router combinations I have tried on my line.
The GUI is smart and quick to use and the amount of stats awailable via GUI is great.
I too have it running with DSLstats by selection the 7800N setting.
It would be nice if HG612 Stats program could support it as well but that will require some
modifications as the Telenet produces the prompt > and not ATP> that the program is currently
looking for. There may be other changes needed but I think they would be small as the telnet output is
the same as the HG612 modem as far as I can tell.
I would be happy to provide any support data/testing should an upgrade be on the cards.
It runs cool as does the power adaptor, another good thing.
I am not using the N wireless side of things which I have disabled since I have it hooked up
to my ASUS RT-N66U which is currently running a wireless AP with both 2.4 and 5 GHz access.
I was able to get it to update no-ip DDNS service as well.
It's early days yet but I think Billion have come up trumps with this one and I can recommend it to
others having issues with the HH5 looking for an all in one box solution, just a pity it does not have 5GHz wireless built-in.

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 06:51:37 PM »

That's excellent news.....I'm pleased its doing so well for you on VDSL2 - I've got to wait for a while till FTTC appears here.....but I believe it won't be too long!

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »

It would be nice if HG612 Stats program could support it as well but that will require some
modifications as the Telenet produces the prompt > and not ATP> that the program is currently
looking for. There may be other changes needed but I think they would be small as the telnet output is
the same as the HG612 modem as far as I can tell.
I would be happy to provide any support data/testing should an upgrade be on the cards.

HG612 Modem Stats beta version 2.11 now supports the ZyXel VMG8324-B10A.

The Billion 'looks' similar regarding the prompt & that it also uses adsl as the command prefix rather than xdslcmd.

Assuming you still have HG612 Modem Stats v 2.0 or v 2.1 set up:-

The attached programs just need to be unzipped to the Scripts folder.

Then select the ZyXel VMG8324-B10A in the GUI from the modem selection (you'll have to also enter the Billion's password).

Then save the settings & see if it works.

If it does, great.

If not, could you post the telnet output from the  adsl info --stats & adsl info --pbParams commands for me to have a look?

EDIT:

You might also have to change the modems IP address in the Stats logging GUI from the default of 192.168.1.1

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:56:17 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 07:40:14 AM »

Please could you also post what you get with the commands "adsl --version" and "adsl" on its own.  Thanks.

VDSL2User

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 07:52:44 AM »

Wow those files work a treat and it now supports the 8800NL, thanks Bald_Eagle1 you are the best.
I did not realise that the adsl command also worked on VDSL2 and thought it used the xdslctl one but
it seams both work, another thing I have learned.
@les-70 in response to your request here is the output as requested.
 > adsl --version
adsl version 1.0
ADSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6F038j.d24h
 > adsl
Usage: adsl start [--up] <configure command options>
       adsl stop
       adsl connection [--up] [--down] [--loopback] [--reverb]
           [--medley] [--noretrain] [--L3] [--diagmode] [--L0]
           [--tones <r1-r2,r3-r4,...>] [--normal] [--freezeReverb] [--freezeMedley]
       adsl configure/configure1 [--mod <a|d|l|t|2|p|e|m|M3|M5|v>] [--lpair <(i)nner|(o)uter>]
           [--trellis <on|off>] [--snr <snrQ4>] [--bitswap <on|off>] [--sesdrop <on|off>]
           [--sra <on|off>] [--CoMinMgn <on|off>] [--i24k <on|off>] [--phyReXmt <0xBitMap-UsDs>]
           [--Ginp <0xBitMap-UsDs>] [--TpsTc <0xBitMap-AvPvAaPa>] [--monitorTone <on|off>]
           [--profile <0x00 - 0xFF>|<"8a |8b |8c |8d |12a |12b |17a">] [--us0 <on|off>]
           [--dynamicD <on|off>] [--dynamicF <on|off>] [--SOS <on|off>] [--maxDataRate <maxDsDataRateKbps maxUsDataRateKbps maxAggrDataRateKbps>]
           [--forceJ43 <on|off>] [--toggleJ43B43 <on|off>]
       adsl bert [--start <#seconds>] [--stop] [--show]
       adsl afelb [--time <sec>] [--tones] [--signal <1/2/8>]
       adsl qlnmntr [--time <sec>] [--freq <msec>]
       adsl inm [--start <INMIATO> <INMIATS><INMCC><INM_INPEQ_MODE><INM_INPEQ_FORMAT>] [--show]
       adsl snrclamp [--shape <shapeId>] [--bpshape [bpIndex-bpLevel,]]
       adsl nlnm [--show ] [--setThld <Thld_Num_Tones>]
       adsl diag [--logstart <nBytes>] [--logpause] [--logstop] [--loguntilbufferfull <nBytes>] [--loguntilretrain <nBytes>] [--dumpBuf <sizeKb>]
       adsl info [--state] [--show] [--stats] [--SNR] [--QLN] [--Hlog] [--Hlin] [--HlinS] [--Bits]
           [--pbParams] [--linediag] [--linediag1] [--reset] [--vendor] [--cfg]
       adsl profile [--show] [--save] [--restore]
       adsl --version
       adsl --help
 >

Thanks to everyone on this forum for making it one of the best on the internet.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 08:07:26 AM »

Wow those files work a treat and it now supports the 8800NL, thanks Bald_Eagle1 you are the best.

:-[  :-[

That's great news (& the easiest 'fix' I've had to do to date).

I'll ask Ronski to add the BiIlion Bipac 8800NL to the list in his GUI.

Is "BiIlion" the correct spelling?

Thanks to everyone on this forum for making it one of the best on the internet.

I'll second that comment  :)

Would you mind zipping one of the new Plink logs from the 8800NL & attach it to a response message?

There's something I'd like to check.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:10:59 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

VDSL2User

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 08:20:23 AM »

The device name spelling is 'Billion BiPAC 8800NL'
Attached is the requested file.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 08:52:06 AM »

Thanks for that.

A couple of Billion specific tweaks are needed in my programs, but they will not affect the stats reporting/graphing, so you should be O.K. to continue using the ZyXel as the selected modem for now.

Just to confirm, is the ongoing stats modem_stats.log being updated correctly each minute?

You may wish to manually run graphpd.exe or click the Run graphPD button in the GUI to see if the graphing is working etc.

I would specify say 30 m (30 minutes) or 1 h (1 hour) when asked to enter the period to plot ===> to ensure the time along the x axis is correct until you have a full 24 hours worth of ongoing data.

FWIW, I can see that you have a fairly high DS Interleaving depth of 1175 & US Interleaving is OFF.

That COULD be due to a number of resyncs while you got the Billion set up?

How does it compare with when you were using the HG612?

However, your SNR (as shown in the combined Bits/SNR graph) does look look a little 'wobbly' & QLN isn't depicting the quietest of lines that I've seen.

Hlog looks good though (no evidence of bridged taps etc.) so your internal wiring must be installed correctly).

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

anything