Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DLM info from plusnet  (Read 3028 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
DLM info from plusnet
« on: May 27, 2014, 07:06:31 AM »

One of plusnet staff members did a blog about DLM, and it has some interesting info.

Notably the isp gets info on how long before DLM recovers if its currently taking action.

I have asked on the plusnet forums if they can make this information available to customers.

http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 07:29:06 AM by Chrysalis »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: DLM info from plusnet
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »

I started to do something several months ago based on all the relevant information I had available, unfortunately Ive not had chance to finish it - and current state is Im trying to do a flow-chart type graphic to explain the stages.

This is one of the reasons I get frustrated when having to deal with certain repetitive questions that don't benefit the majority, because the huge amount of time that takes up... and I mean hours and hours that add up days worth of time on one person..  means that I dont get chance to do the stuff I want to for the main site, which would save some of the repetition.

The draft is here,  but until I get time to finish the graphic, then its come to an abrupt halt :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 08:50:43 PM »

Well apparently the FTTC DLM is under consultation to be revised.

So I replied on the plusnet forum with some suggestions  :P

oh and since I cut it off, for the curious the sync uptime to go with my pic is 42 days.  So can work out avg error rate per day and that DLM hasnt touched the line, with that margin.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:54:58 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »

From my own personal experience as a BT customer when the DLM has seen issues then acted on my line say for instance your sync has decreased from 31000Kbps to 20000Kbps and if interleaved is active 500 to 1200.

The DLM on my line will do 2 retrains a day until the sync has fully recoverd 4-5 days but Interleaving and Fastpath takes a lot longer to recover  ;)

PS still waiting for interleaving to drop its day 13
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:23:18 PM by NewtronStar »

cpettitt

• ISP Rep
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 12:32:34 PM »

Notably the isp gets info on how long before DLM recovers if its currently taking action.

Not quite. We don't get the information on when DLM is going to act and raise someone's profile - this is something that we have requested visibility of, but yet do not have. I made the guide to give an idea how how DLM works as there isn't a great deal of information out there. There's a bit more to it but I haven't had the time to put it all into one document.

@kitz - What you've got looks pretty good so far, happy to take another look when you've got a final draft. If you need any better quality images for examples, I'm happy to supply them if I can.
Chris Pettitt
Plusnet Digital Care Team

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »

Chris on your forum you gave me a different reply, you said you only get that info when you run a line test.  So you get it but not all the time.

Your blog post seems to state its listed as "caution counters", are these not a countdown to DLM recovery then?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »

Hi Chry got my INP: back down to 3 and interleaving depth back down to 542, the DLM took much longer this time 17 days though I did mess my line up bad this time.  :blush:

cpettitt

• ISP Rep
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:30:29 AM »

Sorry if I've added to the confusion on that Chrysalis. The Caution Counter is there in the background on OR systems but we do not have any option to view it nor do BT Wholesale either, just OR. We can make an educated guess as to where on the Caution Counter you might be, but couldn't be sure without asking OR.

The Caution Counter is a countdown to line recovery but it's much more extensive in terms of timeframes than I've been able to mention on the guide due to time, but I think I've covered the basics of it. I'll probably add more details on the DLM stuff after it's bee re-worked by BT OR.
Chris Pettitt
Plusnet Digital Care Team