Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Max speeds dropped  (Read 7759 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Max speeds dropped
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 07:31:51 AM »

Hi BE.

I agree with Kitz, a good question. Alas, we don't really have anything set in concrete to say one way or another other than again what Kitz points out, the very noticeable drops in speed with additional VDSL circuits going 'Live'.

'Noise cancellation' technology wasn't really ever mentioned when we just had ADSL-based circuits. Although cross-talk was still a consideration even on those Neanderthal connections  ;), (IE: Migrating mass circuits onto the 'Best Cable To Cab'), but in my opinion the effect was negligible in comparison to VDSL.  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 02:40:58 PM »

I am pretty sure that is probably due to power cutback.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »

Power cut-back or not, the question posed asked what was thought to cause the most crosstalk effects ??

IMO ...... VDSL.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 05:08:32 PM »

Are we, as end users, able to see how many users subscribe to ADSL/VDSL services from a particular cab, perhaps on a postcode basis?

Without meaning to seem ageist, quite a lot of older people live near me & I wouldn't think they'd be too interested in FTTC, but they may have an ADSL service (as per my next door neighbour).

Would I be right in presuming that any services running in the opposite direction away from the cabinet, therefore in a separate bubdle of cables, will have little or no effect on crosstalk at my end?

Looking at my SNRM per band graph (I can only use D1 & some of the D2 band due to distance from the cabinet), I wonder if a single user in my bundle went on holiday just before midnight 29th May (at 23:53 to be precise), switching off their modem/router.

My overall SNRM is currently 6.8 dB, whereas it was around 5.7 dB previously.

That's not a great increase, but it has added almost 2 Mbps to my DS attainable rate.

If my connection could run at 40 Mbps plus, it wouldn't be noticed too much, but as it's currently running at only 18.86 Mbps, "every little helps" as the saying goes............

I'm almost tempted to force a resync.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 05:45:55 PM »

Another good question, and again one I can only give a personal opinion on.

I wouldn't have thought EU's/ISP's would be able to view VDSL capacities on Cab's, we can as Openreach though ??. Of course, somebody may know different ??

AFAIK, Cross-talk is most fiercest at the 'Near end' ......... ie: at the Cab itself. I've seen thermal imaging photographs showing as such. I would guess that other VDSL circuits in a completely different cable/bundle, would not have any effect on your particular speed ??  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »

I am pretty sure that is probably due to power cutback.

That wouldnt account for the huge losses in speed that all of us have seen over time.
I suspect even BT may have been surprised at just how much crosstalk has affected VDSL.  All the laboritory testing in the world cant foretell what will happen in the field.

When I first got vdsl & after my line fault was fixed my max attainable was something like 10400, by the time Id taken the HG612 off it had dropped to 86000 - thats what 18Mbps?   Putting on the ZyXel gave me a boost back up to the region of 8990.

Power cutback on VDSL means that ADSL is less impacted by any VDSL lines, but conversly means that ADSL will impact on VDSL, however not as noticable though because VDSL has more tones to play with.   Its the very long lines which cant use all of the D1 tones that will likely notice impact from adsl crosstalk the most.

However adsl is already in place, so we perhaps dont notice this as much because adsl crosstalk will be there from day 1.   We see degredation from other VDSL lines as they joint the cab and theres been some fairly big losses reported immediately a neighbour gets vdsl.

My reasoning is: 
 - You have line A and line B.   
 - Line A gets VDSL. Line B remains on ADSL.
 - User B decides to get FTTC
 - Line A speed reduces.

Now if ADSL was a bigger disturber than VDSL...  then Line B's speed would have gone up not down.
Line B on VDSL is a bigger threat of crosstalk to Line A, because Line B is now 'contending' in the same frequencies as Line A.

Would I be right in presuming that any services running in the opposite direction away from the cabinet, therefore in a separate bubdle of cables, will have little or no effect on crosstalk at my end?

hmmm Im really not sure tbh BE.. you ask some good questions..  but if its on the same line card I guess it would be possible.
It happens with adsl, so I would have thought the theory was the same with vdsl.

I wonder if a single user in my bundle went on holiday just before midnight 29th May (at 23:53 to be precise), switching off their modem/router.

Sorry I wouldnt like to say for certain (not much use am I with your questions :/ )...  but yes it is possible.   
Crosstalk is known to affect the shortest lines the most - their power back off profile is higher, so they see larger decreases in speed from x-talk, especially if the disturber is on profile med or long. 
However..  a line which is unable to use all of the sub carriers will still be affected but to a lesser extent of speed loss.  Like you say, in cases like yours - Every little helps.   

--
btw BE, your difference in signal and line attenuation niggles at me a little for a reason I cant explain.  Is there still such a large difference immediately after a sync? 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 09:52:08 PM »

btw BE, your difference in signal and line attenuation niggles at me a little for a reason I cant explain.  Is there still such a large difference immediately after a sync?

Yes.
This was captured immediately after the resync 20th May:-

Line Attenuation(dB):    8.2    55.0     N/A     N/A     N/A    22.0    67.6     N/A   
Signal Attenuation(dB):    8.2    54.0     N/A     N/A     N/A    31.1    67.5     N/A

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 10:44:13 PM »

Power cut-back or not, the question posed asked what was thought to cause the most crosstalk effects ??

IMO ...... VDSL.

I responding to the signal attenuation question from BE.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 02:53:09 AM »

We all know why there are power cut backs it's to give each individual EU be it on ADSL or FTTC a better chance to reach there quoted IP profile, and I am unsure about crosstalk it seems to me that the more users you have at the cabinet then some EU's will have a higher power cut back than others this serves to give an equal amount of downstream speed to both ADSL users and FTTC users.

This could be a load of carp but it's the way i see it  ;)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 07:45:22 AM »

Seems I am still confusing people.

I am talking about the adsl power cutback that is specific to the first downstream range that BE mentioned on the higher signal attenuation.

Regardless of that I agree with you newtronstar, I think different cabinets and possibly different end users on cabinets have different power cutbacks. (on the upstream signal which has power cutback applied to manage upstream corsstalk).

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 10:34:33 AM »

Hi

Seems I am still confusing people.

I am talking about the adsl power cutback that is specific to the first downstream range that BE mentioned on the higher signal attenuation.

Regardless of that I agree with you newtronstar, I think different cabinets and possibly different end users on cabinets have different power cutbacks. (on the upstream signal which has power cutback applied to manage upstream corsstalk).

I saw a big drop in my upload SNR but then noticed the power had been cut by several db, attainable is still >30 so this causes me no problems.  This only happened after a resync, but for a minute I did wonder if it was a sudden crosstalk event due to someone else going live, download though was unaffected.  As I'm paying the electricity bill to push the signal upstream the less the better  :)

I'd say that over the years I lost a total of circa 3Mb from adsl2+ crosstalk.  Within just a few months Ive lost >15Mb on vdsl.  Theres even been users reporting immediate and very noticeable losses when a neighbour has got vdsl2.

I think the sudden drop events due to crosstalk are not just new people being added the cabinet, but new people that have their pair running in close proximity to our own for a considerable portion of the distance, i.e. next door or people on the same street.

My own cab I was number 2 connected, that was months ago, and I've seen visits by Openreach several times at the PCP  presumably connecting more people up.  Download SNR started at 11db and is now around 10db.  When I check my Wi-Fi list, it is predominately Virgin connections around my street, so I'm suspecting I may still be the only person with FTTC on the street and so have no parallel runs of other VDSL connections next to my pair so far, that called all change as we know.

I'll find out my non-impacted SNR at some point when we have a powercut taking out the local area as I'm on a UPS so will be pretty much sure I'm the only one connected, with ADSL I gained around 8-10db during a power cut.

Regards

Phil

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »

Power cuts are tantalizing, we had one a week ago and it took the DSLAM out but not us, when it came back I seemed to sync first and dslstats showed an attainable of 112mb/s which dropped back to 76Mb/s surprisingly slowly over the next hour.    The 112 value is a bit better than when I first had FTTC (it was 108) but I have made some improvements in power supplies etc.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 11:10:22 PM »

PhillipD agreed, for sure it looks very apparent that different end users have different levels of crosstalk on any given pair.

I had 2 large drops as my first 2 drops in first few weeks (seems i got very unlucky, assuming this is not a fault).  But then still noticed other drops after however they were all much lower amounts.  Faults can cause crosstalk however without causing other issues, such as bad joints, crossed pairs, short run of untwisted cables and more.  I got a feeling that whenever vectoring is turned on, we going to see some lines not quite recover as expected, and may then find out openreach have just been ignoring some faults assuming they were caused by crosstalk.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 03:26:42 AM »

I think different cabinets and possibly different end users on cabinets have different power cutbacks.

They sure do as regards to different EU lines.  Even on adsl there were at least 3 different profiles in use, possibly 4 last time I heard.  All depend on line length. These profiles are used as a first line defence against crosstalk and something thats been in use with adsl for many years world-wide not just BT.

As regards to different cabs im not sure about that one though. Although cabs may be at different distances and for fttc the run of fibre shouldnt cause any problems for other fttc lines,   what does come to mind is that there is a possibility for adsl lines that are far from the exchange being more affected by crosstalk from fttc lines than those nearer the exchange.   So if that is the case, then fttc lines on cabs far from the exchange would need more PCB than those on cabs near the exchange.   /Just musing and may not be right.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »

kitz diff cabinets will probably have different profiles I expect for 3 main reasons.

vendor
distance from exchange so power cutback for adsl (more severe on long E sides)
and condition of D side,  my opinion this varies wildly from one area to another.
Pages: 1 [2]