Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Graphics card: advice for updating  (Read 3836 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Graphics card: advice for updating
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:39:06 AM »

My current graphics card Radeon HD4350, according to SSSandra, was installed by  a repairer as a quick cheap replacement for an Nvidia GeForce 300 that came with my Dell Desktop in 2009.

I am thinking of swapping it for a newer up to date card, as it is now well a legacy item, unsupported, and clunky. I am not a gamer, so that is not a major factor in choice.

When I am considering cards, what are the major things to look for in specification; what details will I need of my computer's installation?

I know this is showing my non-techiness again! But I hope you can, please, help.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Graphics card: advice for updating
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 10:11:41 AM »

The first things to consider are the interfaces. Most graphics cards are PCI Express (PCI-E), and if your motherboard has a PCI-E socket then there's no problem. But if not, then you'll have to use a PCI board, and there are only a few of these still available. The other consideration is the type of video connector. If you want to retain your present monitor, then you'll need a graphics card with the corresponding video socket.

Another consideration may be noise. I hate noisy computers, and I always choose fanless graphics cards because they are silent.

As regards performance, I really don't think that's any worry at all. Any reasonably modern graphics card will have more than adequate performance if you don't run graphically intensive programs like games.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 12:19:37 PM »

Firstly I would be inclined to ask.

1. What is it that don't like with your current graphics card?
2. What are you hoping to get from a newer graphics card?

And as you say you are not a gamer so do not require the type of graphics that gamers want.
TBH, As it's not broken, then don't fix it.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 12:27:11 PM »

If your PC is showing its age as they do very quickly, a replacement could be your best move. Many motherboards these days have built in graphics which are quite adequate for most users.
Tony

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »

one thing you really need to be careful about with graphics cards in prebuilt machines is power. The PSU in a prebuilt is usually barely adequate for the spec the system comes with, and upgrading can increase demand on the PSU to a level it can't cope with.

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »

Also bear in mind PSU wise that the capacity of the PSU will degrade over time.

It is possible that you could pick up a decent motherboard with onboard graphics,new CPU and new RAM for well under the cost of a "good" graphics card.

E.g. http://www.cclonline.com/product/106539/NoMfgCode/Motherboard-Bundles/CCL-Alpha-Succeed-III-Motherboard-Bundle/MBB-INT-BUD3/ for £110
Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »

renluop, you didn't mention the Dell model number so just to clarify is this a full height (standard sized) or a half height video card?
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »

If you mean the computer , an Inspiron 560MT desktop.

AAMOF I am putting this on the back burner, some more immediate problems intervening.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:55:35 PM »

There are things like heat generated by graphic cards and voltage/wattage issues which require you to remove your old 250-300 watt PSU before you upgrade to a £75 GTX 650 and your PSU will need to be 450 - 600 watt with internal power lead to GPU card as it needs more than 65 watts as the PCI express slot only delivers 65 watts.

I have enjoyed the GT 630 for many of months its £39 it's very cool (not much heat) it only uses 35 watts no need to upgrade your 300 watt PSU it plays all the latests games but only in low to medium settings.

I am using the GTX 650 but it's overkill as my gaming days are getting less due to me getting older  ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:12:33 PM by NewtronStar »

anything