Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What does it all Mean!  (Read 2194 times)

Dwight

• Reg Member
What does it all Mean!
« on: May 17, 2014, 04:44:11 PM »

Hi Guys,
Some help needed on what's and whys'!
Will hopefully be getting Infinity in the next decade! So have been looking through peoples comments about their services. With RFI and other graphs.
So was wondering if people could explain the effects etc. As yes it's nice to have a graph, but if it you still down load "GoT" at 2 am what's the issue! If you know what I mean.

Cheers.

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: What does it all Mean!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 08:11:25 PM »

Dwight, the quick answer is "you'll be lucky !"

The broadband system is a modification to the Telephone system which in turn is a modification to the 19th Century Telegraph system. In the course of it's evolution there are  things which would be done differently if one could start again, just like human beings have air- and food-pipes crossing which lets a drink go "down the wrong way" .
It is difficult to explain this sort of system when not knowing the full history, so it can end up as "We have always done it this way", which is not a justification, (except to an accountant !) and doesn't help a newcomer understand.

Also the industry has used several imported techniques in a rather sloppy way.
For instance, WiFi is promoted as if obstacles and reflections didn't exist. For a professional microwave link an engineer would survey the paths and select one with no obstructions and no reflecting objects within the aerial beamwidth.  For WiFi the beamwidth is near 360 degrees so it is a case of try it and see, and if it doesn't work use a bigger hammer, i.e. more power. 

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 10:13:06 PM »

I suspect the OP is questioning more the case of "if your service is useable, why bother tweaking?".

TBH, there are a multitude of reasons for myself and I suspect for most it may well differ.

Interest, a natural inquisitiveness. I like to learn how things work, why they work etc...
Conversation, The desire to exchange views and information.
The desire to make the most of a given situation.
The intellectual challenge of attempting solutions to the given issue.

Last and by no means least, my own favourite. Why not!  ;D

Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 10:38:29 PM »

I suspect the OP is questioning more the case of "if your service is useable, why bother tweaking?".

TBH, there are a multitude of reasons for myself and I suspect for most it may well differ.

Interest, a natural inquisitiveness. I like to learn how things work, why they work etc...

Yes it does start off as an interest and it becomes what I call the Broadband Stats Hobby, just like any other interest from Motor Cars to Gardening we like to understand how it works and gain knowledege to better are understanding and also this can yield a better crop a faster car and faster Broadband  ;D

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 12:16:33 AM »

Conversation, The desire to exchange views and information.
The desire to make the most of a given situation.
The intellectual challenge of attempting solutions to the given issue.

Last and by no means least, my own favourite. Why not!  ;D

Thank you Semmy, This was what I was getting at. As I have graphed my ADSL and that has frequencies missing and Noise on the line, but as and when BTO get the new box up and running I would expect things to go faster, and these issues to be less noticeable on paper. But will I be able to notice these other than when I upload videos of F&F, at the new speed advertised.
I think not, but as you say "Why not!"  :) ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 02:29:04 AM »

Then theres the obvious...  that when you know something is wrong... and these are when the graphs are invaluable is trying to track down where the problem may lie.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker