Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Problems with PC Linux  (Read 5575 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Problems with PC Linux
« on: January 18, 2008, 08:42:52 PM »

On boot up I get two Error messages, These show when the desktop has loaded  . :(
"Error KDdesktop  The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly".

I have no icons on desktop.

Also
"Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device".

I have no sound.
Sending this post with Firefox ok.

Compaq Deskpro. 192mb 10 gig HDD
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Re: Problems with PC Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:17:07 PM »

Is this the install from the "dodgy" CD which had errors when you burned it?

If so I think you should just start again with a good CD. It'll probably be less hassle in the long run.

PS - You need a 700MB CD-R and a drive which can burn 700MB. That might have been your original problem.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:33:43 PM »

Is this the install from the "dodgy" CD which had errors when you burned it?

If so I think you should just start again with a good CD. It'll probably be less hassle in the long run.

PS - You need a 700MB CD-R and a drive which can burn 700MB. That might have been your original problem.

It could be, but I did check it with 'checksum' and it was ok , but I have done these 606mb of updates, surly would this have sorted any doggy files out ?.
I'm just about up to my download limit for my ISP so I cannot make any more large downloads this month. :'(

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:37:42 PM »

You mean the iso file matched the MD5 sum? If so that only means that the file on your hard drive is correct.

I thought you got errors when you tried to burn the CD and then also when you tried to run the Live CD?

The updates would (I guess) only fix any files that needed updating. If there were others missing/damaged which didn't need updating then they'd still be missing/damaged.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:39:48 PM by rizla »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:58:12 PM »

I've come across the first error before, and you may be able to work around it by hitting Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (which shuts down and re-launches the graphics server) and then logging in again. I know this isn't a satisfactory long term solution, but I don't know an actual cure.

You may be able to get the sound working as follows:

Open a terminal window (konsole) and type 'su' (without the quotes).
You will be asked to enter the root password. You will now be working as root within the terminal window only.
Type 'alsaconf'. Follow the prompts - just accept the default answers.
At the end of it you should have working sound if your sound hardware is supported.
Type 'exit' and close the terminal window.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 10:58:43 PM »

I re-burnt the CD and also used 'Dban Disk wipe' to get rid of NTFS on the hard drive then reinstalled.
But yes I did have some problems  (may be related ?).

Other problems tonight.
I tried to do a 'reboot'  it logged out and put the machine into a sort of hibernation  :'( ,I had to manually restart, but still got the above problems.

anything