Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT ADSL Max linespeed dropping off to 28K  (Read 5582 times)

bizboz

• Just arrived
BT ADSL Max linespeed dropping off to 28K
« on: September 11, 2006, 06:15:43 PM »

Any telecomms experts reading this got any ideas ?  I moved house a few months ago (actually closer to the exchange but thats another story)  I had 2 Mb OPtion 4 BT Yahoo at my old gaff and got 2Mb no problem.  On moving house they said I would only get 1.2Mb which I did, consistently.  The Total Broadband product was then released, I did a check and they said I should get up to 5Mb.  Eventually after 5000 telephone calls to Mumbai I got my line activated (This was despite 36 call centre "operatives" telling me I was on BT Yahoo OPtion 4 and the other 36 agreeing I was on BT Total Broadband Option 3)

Ever since then it has never worked properly.  I complain, somebody does something at the exchange, it starts to work, the adaptive rate technoclogy kicks in, speed increases (up to 4.5Mb at one stage) then boink !! It drops to 28K and never changes again.  Until I complain, then voila, off we go again, repeating cycle and after about 5 days - hey presto 28K again, complain etc. etc. etc.

I have an active complaint with the high level complaints office but nobody seems to be able to fix it.  I just have a gut feeling that some database keeps chucking me off every few days, and tells the exchange to bin my account, or an engineer is going to the exchange and switching me off.

Has anyone come across a similar problem?  I have had a look on this site, and it would appear to me the problem may lie with this RAMBO chap.  Is there no way I can get them to just switch me to 5Mb, damn the throughput, and damn the Adaptive Rate crap... I need a decent speed to continue my studies as I require decent access to the net.  The problem I see is even if I tell BT to cancel my account and go to Plusnet  (which looks a better option quite frankly) I will still have the same problems as it is BT who cant fix the problem and it's still their exchange.

JBN

soms

• Reg Member
Re: BT ADSL Max linespeed dropping off to 28K
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 07:12:38 PM »

Lo JBN, as kitz or someone else will like as you anyway, have you got any line stats you can post? Most issues with rate adaptive ADSL come with varying line stats, which causes the actual service rate to rise and fall due to the bRAS profiling etc or it can be to do with exchange contention where your throughput can drop right down. So no doubt someone else willl also be saying that if you could post some line stats from your router or modem that would be very useful in helping you.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT ADSL Max linespeed dropping off to 28K
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 08:21:40 PM »

Hi

As soms has already said.. need your line stats really to be able to try and see what is going on, before we can advise you further.

Details how to get stats from the most common routers and modems on this page
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

Details we need please are:
Sync (Connection) speed
SNR (noise) Margin
Attenuation
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything