Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: And even more advice needed!  (Read 8710 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: And even more advice needed!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »

If you dont like the terminal have a look round for a 'root mode' File manager program, it could be Konqueror or Dolphin or perhaps another. So long as you know the root password then you merely give that on start up and can navigate to the directory containing the file you created and drag and drop it on to the correct place in /etc directory. Of course you need the root p/w and if the file manager does not start with split view of two directories you will need to change the settings to do that. Some systems require you to be set up to issue the sudo command in the first place and if your user is not I think it just issues the command as the user and it will fail because you dont have root privileges.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ratae

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 06:24:14 PM »

If you dont like the terminal have a look round for a 'root mode' File manager program, it could be Konqueror or Dolphin or perhaps another. So long as you know the root password then you merely give that on start up and can navigate to the directory containing the file you created and drag and drop it on to the correct place in /etc directory. Of course you need the root p/w and if the file manager does not start with split view of two directories you will need to change the settings to do that. Some systems require you to be set up to issue the sudo command in the first place and if your user is not I think it just issues the command as the user and it will fail because you dont have root privileges.

Stuart

Hmmm...apparently Stu, 'root' is disabled by default in Mint 16. However, I read that 'Sudo' in the terminal acts the same as 'root'

Also in Mint the admin user password is the same as the 'root' one.

That's how I understand things anyway.

However, as the bluetooth adaptor is apparently not supported by Linux, I might just be wasting my (and your) time!   :(

Thanks for the advice tho' buddy. :)
If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 07:49:07 PM »

I was forgetting that Mint is like Ubuntu..... something I dont like. I think it is right for all sorts of security reasons to have a root user and p/w and not to reply on sudo which if you are not careful allows any user to have root access. I have only ever used RedHat/Mandriva/PCLinusOS/Mageia and Fedora all of which have a root user and allow sudo to be disabled if required.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ratae

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 12:44:27 AM »

I was forgetting that Mint is like Ubuntu..... something I dont like. I think it is right for all sorts of security reasons to have a root user and p/w and not to reply on sudo which if you are not careful allows any user to have root access. I have only ever used RedHat/Mandriva/PCLinusOS/Mageia and Fedora all of which have a root user and allow sudo to be disabled if required.

Stuart

Maybe....but anyone owning a computer, who isn't careful, is asking for trouble anyway!

I mean, who with any sense tells people what his password is?  ???
If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!
Pages: 1 [2]

anything