Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Comments on routers  (Read 10099 times)

setecio

• Reg Member
Comments on routers
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »

Interestingly, looking the Speedtouch 585v6 which seems to be the best overall thought of router on this forum, it isn't really widely available. There seem to be 4 or 5 internet shops supplying it, none of PC world, Amazon, ebuyer etc supply it, some of the big ISPs do and I wonder if they have caused a sort of supply shortage for the other companies.

DrTeeth

Comments on routers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 09:34:57 PM »

I understand that Zyxel took a decision that the chipset was so flawed that it was uneconomical to support
They are currently selling AR7 routers, for example the 660HW-D1. I'm interested in it as it has a GUI to die for and many people do not have problems with the 'set.

'Uneconomical to support' to me implies that they have stopped supporting it.
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

DrTeeth

Comments on routers
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:46:45 PM »

Interestingly, looking the Speedtouch 585v6 which seems to be the best overall thought of router on this forum, it isn't really widely available.

Cough, splutter! "Not widely available?"  :lol: :lol:

I'm looking to replace my router, a ST 585 v6 as it happens, and I am falling over retailers selling them in my hunt for a replacement.

The reason I am replacing is that I do not like using a CLi (and a poorly documented one at that) to do what every other modem does with a GUI - change DNS servers for example.

I have fallen in love with the Zyxel 660HW-D1 GUI and may take the plunge. I'm trying to source a Netgear DG 834G *v4* though...without much luck.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Comments on routers
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 09:57:07 PM »

I understand that Zyxel took a decision that the chipset was so flawed that it was uneconomical to support
They are currently selling AR7 routers, for example the 660HW-D1. I'm interested in it as it has a GUI to die for and many people do not have problems with the 'set.

'Uneconomical to support' to me implies that they have stopped supporting it.

That's what Zyxel Denmark told me from what I can remember. The P2602HW was supposed to replace kit like the 660 when I bought it - I was the second person in the UK to get hold of one (guruchill on adslguide was the first because he didn't care about getting a UK power adaptor :D).

DrTeeth

Comments on routers
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 10:08:29 PM »

Quote from: rizla
That's what Zyxel Denmark told me from what I can remember. The P2602HW was supposed to replace kit like the 660 when I bought it - I was the second person in the UK to get hold of one (guruchill on adslguide was the first because he didn't care about getting a UK power adaptor :D).

I've has fun with Zyxel and their model number conventions (interesting info at the end if you cannot wait  ;)). There existes a 660-HW-D1 v2. Zyxel initially denied this, until I apologied for having downloaded the relevent manual the night before and having seen a v2 firmware update.

Turns out this v2 is a minor update, but I cannot find out what difference there is...somebody did tell me that it has a faster CPU.

There will be a redesign soon as Zyxel combines its home and business lines...that's when there will be a 'proper' v2. No plans to bring it into the UK at this time.

The day after I buy one (has a GUI to die for) that is when I will eventually find a DG 834G v4 and Zyxel will decide to import the later v2. Story of my life...

I used to be undecided what to buy, but now I'm not so sure  :lol:.

setecio

• Reg Member
Comments on routers
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 10:15:07 PM »

Cough, splutter! "Not widely available?"  :lol: :lol:

Well ... typing DG834G into google shopping gives over 200 results .... typing any of 585 v6 or speedtouch 585 v6 or 585v6 etc only comes back with 4 ... similarly in price runner. 

DrTeeth

Comments on routers
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 10:18:56 PM »

Of course you have checked the stock levels? Broadbandbuyer.co.uk has 79 in stock.

Comments on routers
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 07:51:17 AM »

Are you talking to Zyxel UK Dr Teeth?

If so then be aware that (IME) they have very little idea what Zyxel Europe (AKA Zyxel Denmark) are doing. They were ZERO help when I found a quite repeatable bug in the P2602HW firmware. Zyxel Denmark were exceptionally helpful and the bug was fixed within a couple of weeks - it was to do with unnumbered IP and the VoIP ports if anyone is interested.

I suspect Zyxel UK is just a couple of guys in an office with no more knowledge than you could find for yourself by browsing the Zyxel website.

setecio

• Reg Member
Re: Comments on routers
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 04:17:39 PM »

Of course you have checked the stock levels? Broadbandbuyer.co.uk has 79 in stock.

I think you misunderstand the point I'm making.

I'm wondering why such a popular router isn't more widely available in the usual outlets. I can only buy it on the internet and only half a dozen shops show up in the usual product searches. Yes it is easy to get it, they have plenty of stock, I was wondering why so few of the usual places have it, that's all.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 04:22:21 PM »

You're right of course. You don't normally find Speedtouch routers in high street shops, and I'm not sure why that is.
  Eric

DrTeeth

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 06:23:37 PM »

Are you talking to Zyxel UK Dr Teeth?

If so then be aware that (IME) they have very little idea what Zyxel Europe (AKA Zyxel Denmark) are doing.

Yes, talking to the UK. "Clueless" would be a compliment.

Do you have any contact info on Zyxel Europe? TIA.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 07:47:48 PM »

I just emailed support@zyxel.dk and explained that Zyxel UK seemed unable to help with the bug. Zyxel Denmark seemed quite happy to help.

Unless things have changed dramatically I'd guess an email enquiring about the difference between v1 and v2 would get answered - make sure you explain Zyxel UK can't help. If it doesn't work then nothing lost eh? I'd cc it to sales@zyxel.dk too.

DrTeeth

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 08:05:40 PM »

@ Rizla

Thanks mate, I owe you one.

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »

I believe it may be worth waiting for a release from Netgear regarding a firmware flash of their AR7 chip set routers namely the DG834 in the next week or so before determining a purchase. I have no commercial interest in this statement but did discover a problem which I believe is more down to poor line characteristics than anything else.

DrTeeth

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 08:43:48 PM »

It depends whether the firmware will fix a problem for supercharge it. I am already considering an AR7 based router, a Zyxel 660HW-D1 v2. I have read the manual and am very inpressed with the configurability confurred on the GUI. On the ST 585 v6 (replacement model due vy soon) one has to use the CLi to change DNS servers  :no: >:D.
Pages: [1] 2